Dog question, is this safe?

This is a discussion on Dog question, is this safe? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of my dogs has a very strong natural protection instinct that I encourage. Why would I want to confuse the dog? As you may ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog question, is this safe?

One of my dogs has a very strong natural protection instinct that I encourage.

Why would I want to confuse the dog?

As you may be able to guess, my answer is to leave the dog at home in this situation. Dogs are better than people, in my opinion. It's a good thing my wife thinks that way too.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

It all depends upon how the dog has been trained, socialized, it's temperament, etc.

I would just talk to the instructor about it. If the dog got up to do something, he's there to get it in control as well. I wouldn't worry about it , if it were me. I imagine there is a "command" that turns the "on switch on".

We had a white German Shephard that didn't like anyone "play" fighting, etc. and would get in between the 2 people and let them know she wanted it to stop. She learned when it was "play" and would "play" as well.... but, if it was for real, I have no doubt she would know the difference and would have acted accordingly.

If the dog "grew up" around it I doubt it is a problem. If he gets pissed because you misplace a thigh kick the dog may perk up a bit though.

I think you may be extra sensitive to it because of your own experiences. I rescue and foster dogs, and do basic training before they get adopted. Not every breed and every dog is protective to the same degree. Also, dogs remember things sort of like taking snapshots. They associate everything to a time and place and circumstance. If that dog has been raised with sparring in the dojo, then it will treat aggression in the dojo differently than it treats aggression outside the dojo, and it will treat sparring differently than true hostility, for a variety of reasons including sight, sound, scent, location, and other keys.

Based on how you described the dog's behavior as you sparred - disinterested and routine - I wouldn't worry about it, myself, without some indication of acute interest in the sparring.
    Last edited by Tom357; August 4th, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: word choice
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    I would not worry about it. If the dog wants to get involved, you'll be the first to know.

VIP Member

re:Pure K.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    If this is your instructor. I would imagine that the dog is trained to know there isn't a real danger for his owner. You were probably not the first person to see his owner sparing with. I bet the dog has a command. Then it's game on.

P.S. It is usually the nicest unthreating dogs that bite. Usually when you least suspect it.
    First thanks to all, that is an interesting array of opinion.

I think PureK really gets to the heart of my dilemma. The dog has seen his owner sparring before and is really sweet, but it is "usually the nicest ...that bite. Usually when you least suspect it."

My inclination is to allow it from time to time and hope that all goes well, but yet, I'm not completely comfortable. I don't carry when I'm training and in any case that dog could hit me hard before I could possibly react.

I guess I need to ask the instructor if restraining the dog is possible, or if that would annoy the dog and raise the danger should he break loose.

Another consideration. Notwithstanding the fact that I willingly allowed myself to be where the dog is, I think the new laws and the DA would cause the young man to be charged if anything were to happen. That's an outcome I don't want no matter what, because he is a really a very fine nice young man doing his best to work with an old fool.

VIP Member
    Hopyard, you've gotten plenty of good advice I only have this to add.

At the time when my daughter was in high school, we had an outside dog (catahoula cur) and an outside cat (common cat). Anyway, my daughter and the dog were playing together outside, both having great fun. In fact the dog had his paws on her shoulders and they were jumping around the yard.

The next thing she knew, and I saw it happen, the cat comes charging out of the bushes on his hind legs and got in between her and the dog, the cat was really upset the dog was hurting her. The cat suddenly decided to "come to the rescue" despite the disparity in size.

My point is we sometiimes think we can predict what animals may do, but they are very capable of changing their mind.

BTW, congratulations on taking the HTH lessons.......always good stuff.
    Last edited by ppkheat; August 4th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My personal opinion. Find another place to go. Anyone on planet Earth has seen what the press has done (right or wrong) to effect the general public's perception of the Pitbull's character. This man put this animal in play in the circumstance he did for one reason and one reason only. To intimidate you. He knew darn good and well what the effect would be. He could, just as easily, have put the animal in another room and made this a nonissue.

+1 llongshot
    You paid your money to learn HTH. Your attention should be on that , not the instructors dog. I'd let him know that the dog is a distraction, and with his dog there, you can't give your lessons your full attention.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member

I am sure there was no intimidation

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    My personal opinion. Find another place to go. Anyone on planet Earth has seen what the press has done (right or wrong) to effect the general public's perception of the Pitbull's character. This man put this animal in play in the circumstance he did for one reason and one reason only. To intimidate you. He knew darn good and well what the effect would be. He could, just as easily, have put the animal in another room and made this a nonissue.
    Thanks for the idea, but I'm sure there was no intimidation intended. The instructor is a very good young man, and he is very very diligent about not wasting any of our allotted time. It is 100% business except for when I take a few moments to catch my breath. Also, this is not my first foray into the world of martial arts. Its something I have gone back to after a break of a couple of years because I could no longer stand not doing it. It is like studying ballet and mechanics with a nice touch of brutality thrown in. I knew the players in the martial arts community here from before. So, no concern about being intimidated.

Still, I think were it someone other than this young man, you might be quite right about suspecting the motive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links