Dog question, is this safe?

This is a discussion on Dog question, is this safe? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was a kid my dog sometimes prevented dad from delivering what otherwise would have been a well deserved wallop. Today, my dogs are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog question, is this safe?

VIP Member

When I was a kid my dog sometimes prevented dad from delivering what otherwise would have been a well deserved wallop. Today, my dogs are very protective and get visibly upset when my wife and I just play fight.

I take one-on-one private martial arts lessons (Krav and Arnis) and today the young man who works with me brought his dog (it was a pit bull) to the facility where he teaches.

The dog was really sweet and very well behaved, but I was a little uneasy that it might get upset when my instructor and I engaged in various hand to hand stuff. I feared the dog might think we were fighting and act protectively.

It worked out O.K. today. Very well actually, as dog sat in a corner and ignored us.

My question is, do you guys think it is safe to have the dog around when we are "fighting," or do you think I should ask him to leave it at home?

(Let's not let this deteriorate into a dog breed thread. I just want opinions on whether or not to allow the dog to be present or ask that he leave the dog at home.)

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    When I was a kid my dog sometimes prevented dad from delivering what otherwise would have been a well deserved wallop. Today, my dogs are very protective and get visibly upset when my wife and I just play fight.

I take one-on-one private martial arts lessons (Krav and Arnis) and today the young man who works with me brought his dog (it was a pit bull) to the facility where he teaches.

The dog was really sweet and very well behaved, but I was a little uneasy that it might get upset when my instructor and I engaged in various hand to hand stuff. I feared the dog might think we were fighting and act protectively.

It worked out O.K. today. Very well actually, as dog sat in a corner and ignored us.

My question is, do you guys think it is safe to have the dog around when we are "fighting," or do you think I should ask him to leave it at home?

(Let's not let this deteriorate into a dog breed thread. I just want opinions on whether or not to allow the dog to be present or ask that he leave the dog at home.)
    Depends on the dog. Pit bulls can have a very high protective instinct as with many other breeds. I guess it would come down to the owners experience and how much you trust his judgement.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

No...I had a rott trained for personal protection. While very well behaved I would have not put him in a situation like that.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I'm not sure. Depends on the dog.
    If Bunny doesn't notice this and pop in, you may wish to try to PM her. She's a trainer and would probably have a professional opinion.

(Hi Bunny!)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I wouldn't have my Belgian Melinois around,.. He would be getting involved,. Just in his blood,...

As other have said, I think it depends on the dog, but personally I would think having him around would bother some people and not allow them to focus,. Just my 2cents..

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Depends on the dog. Pit bulls can have a very high protective instinct as with many other breeds. I guess it would come down to the owners experience and how much you trust his judgement.
    +1...it depends on the dog for sure
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I wouldn't be comfortable with it unless I knew the dog well, and maybe not even then.

Administrator
    Depends on the dog, and I wouldnt worry about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think I would prefer the dog not be there, or if he is there he be restrained. Really has nothing to do with breed, almost any dog will protect "his family" if he feels it is threatened. The bad part is what makes him feel the threat today may not be the same thing tomorrow.

I think the fact that the dog just sat and watched you today says it's OK

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I think it depends on the dog as well. Natural instinct says the dog will try to "split" or get in between you to "break up" a fight, since MOST breeds and also wolves are generally geared towards quelling a situation. However, if the dog has been exposed enough and conditioned to this type of thing, he will see it more as a play fight, like when two puppies go at it, and not the real thing, which would otherwise be a cause for concern. He may also be conditioned to understand that at the dojo, it's all playfight, whereas if you did that to His Master at home, he would try and stop you.

Then again, some dogs just don't give a fig.

(Hi Arko!)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I hope the dog realizes the 'real' thing when he needs to...

I would probably feel a little uncomfortable with the situation...the next thing you will hear is..."He's never done THAT before."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Depends on the dog and the trainer. If he teaches I'm sure its not the first time the dog has seen him master take a beating (in school). It might be understood as normal, out of the school would most likely be a different story.

I think the difference is he's taken more time to train and condition his dog to that situation. The first time I roughhoused with my cousin I found my forearm in the mouth of a border collie - she didn't bite, just mouthed me as a warning. I gave her a good chewing out and then proceeded to play with the kid again. She let out a mumbled growl and got chewed out again. No problems after that.

Let your instructor know your concerns and ask what he did to train his dog. Ask if there is anything you might do to set the dog off in that situation - as in if the instructor actually gets hurt. You and your wife just may get to play fight w/o upsetting the pup.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    If this is your instructor. I would imagine that the dog is trained to know there isn't a real danger for his owner. You were probably not the first person to see his owner sparing with. I bet the dog has a command. Then it's game on.

P.S. It is usually the nicest unthreating dogs that bite. Usually when you least suspect it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links