The Dog Thread

The Dog Thread

This is a discussion on The Dog Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wanted to make a move on getting another dog late last year but the timing (several major projects) was not conducive to the time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dog Thread

The Dog Thread

I wanted to make a move on getting another dog late last year but the timing (several major projects) was not conducive to the time the pup would need. I currently have a 12 year old male GSD and a 5 year old female Basset Hound. What a combination, the GSD tolerates the BH and BH thinks the world of the GSD.

Orignally, I was thinking of another male GSD. He is a great dog. And I am very familiar with the characteristics of the GSD.

I also want to learn more about other breeds like temperment, activity level, loyalty, etc.

I've been doing some research on other breeds and would like for you to share first hand experience with other breeds.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I guess the first question is what do you want the dog for: home protection dog (like the GSD), lap dog, sporting dog....
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    can you PM me your email address? I'd like to forward you an email related to your search. It has photos so I'm unable to attach it to the thread easily.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Good point on the purpose of the dog. First and foremost, it will be a family pet. The breed must be intelligent, obedient, active, and have a good temperment. I plan to give the dog basic dog training, socialization, hand signals, off leash training. No plans to train for guard duty, explosives sniffing, or protection.

Tinker, PM sent.

good luck with your search. I'm a fan of the GSD as you can see from my Avatar but I'll agree there are a lot of good dogs out there depending on what you are looking for out of one.

We went camping in the national forest last weekend and it's comforting to have our GSD sleeping just outside the tent door keeping an eye on things. I know he won't wander off and he'll let me know if any unwanted types show up in camp after dark.

Besides the GSD, we have a Welsh Corgi. She's good for sleeping inside the tent and keeping feet warm. She's also my backup plan if I run out of ammo and the mountain lion is still coming after me...
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    good luck with your search. I'm a fan of the GSD as you can see from my Avatar but I'll agree there are a lot of good dogs out there depending on what you are looking for out of one.

We went camping in the national forest last weekend and it's comforting to have our GSD sleeping just outside the tent door keeping an eye on things. I know he won't wander off and he'll let me know if any unwanted types show up in camp after dark.

Besides the GSD, we have a Welsh Corgi. She's good for sleeping inside the tent and keeping feet warm. She's also my backup plan if I run out of ammo and the mountain lion is still coming after me...

I was seriously considering a GSD about a year and a half ago. But instead of getting a GSD the wife surprised me with a mixed breed (boxer,pit,lab,??) shelter rescue. To be honest I was disappointed at the time but i now realize the dog is near perfect. He is gentle and smart. He is also a great guard dog.

In the future my next dog will be a GSD. tinkerinWstuff could you send me the information that you mentioned earlier in the thread? Thanks

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    A dog thread with no pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    In the future my next dog will be a GSD. tinkerinWstuff could you send me the information that you mentioned earlier in the thread? Thanks
    The email is more of a cutesy dog-lover email with characterizations of different breeds along with cute and funny pictures. Be glad to forward it, just PM me your email addy.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    whatever you do, don't get another female. Bitchfights are bound to happen

(MODS -- I mean an actual female dog)

and if you've ever seen two bitches fight, it's ugly, and they can hold a permanent grudge. Two males fighting will either kill each other, or get over it and lick each other's wounds a few hours later. Kinda like the humans.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    whatever you do, don't get another female. Bitchfights are bound to happen

(MODS -- I mean an actual female dog)

and if you've ever seen two bitches fight, it's ugly, and they can hold a permanent grudge. Two males fighting will either kill each other, or get over it and lick each other's wounds a few hours later. Kinda like the humans.

I'm not licking anyone's wounds,....

His hobbies include:

sticks (shown above), balls, swimming (believe it or not), chasing horses (not deer, cats, or bunnies so someone on this forum is safe....), and lots of running, running, and more running.

Who is John Galt?

Tinker, you have some beautiful dogs. My wife would love a corgi but I told her we can only have one low rider dog at a time. Your shepherd looks big, mine is about 100#, yours has to be close. My shepherd absolutely loves the water. It's nothing for him to swim while it's snowing out. Can't keep him out of the lake in the summer.

No plans to have 2 females at one time. My experience has been they are very aggressive about establishing hierarchy quickly. Seen too many fights due to the mere presence of another female.

Also, my experience with female GSD is that the one's I've been around don't seem to get along with well with other dogs. Great with people though.

How about some experiences with other breeds?

Look into a GOOD Bullmastiff. These are bred to be protective but tolerant. Major would allow a child he'd never met to pull his tail, ears, and hair and ride him like a horse (he weighed 130 pounds). He would not, however, tolerate the same behaviour from an strange adult. These dogs must be obedience trained due to their size. They were bred to deal with men not other dogs and were vary capapable of doing just that.

VIP Member
    Look into the Austrailian Shepard as well, Aussie's are known for their intelligence and loyalty. I have owned 2 in the past and they make a wonderful pet. They are a high energy dog and need room to run and play.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by hardlivin View Post
    I wanted to make a move on getting another dog late last year but the timing (several major projects) was not conducive to the time the pup would need. I currently have a 12 year old male GSD and a 5 year old female Basset Hound. What a combination, the GSD tolerates the BH and BH thinks the world of the GSD.

Orignally, I was thinking of another male GSD. He is a great dog. And I am very familiar with the characteristics of the GSD.

I also want to learn more about other breeds like temperment, activity level, loyalty, etc.

I've been doing some research on other breeds and would like for you to share first hand experience with other breeds.
    As a kid I had a couple of mutts mostly GSD the vets said. After settling with my wife we had two Chow Chows, they were great before we had kids but, Chows are not especially playful and are what I wouild describe as self centered not really family oriented.

Currently we have what I think is the ideal breed: the Australian Cattle Dog. They are super smart, very quick learners, weigh in around 50 pounds and are very very very active. As a caution they do become a little territorial and very protective and loyal to their human "family", I am sure a web search will turn up a lot more info. My dog will turn 10 years this September and he still has puppy-like energy and curiousity that never ends. If you have the room for a high energy dog the Cattle Dog is awesome.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links