Personal Responsibility

This is a discussion on Personal Responsibility within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Personal Responsibility - I rarely see it any more. All you hear today is complaining about what is owed me, it was someone else’s fault, ...

Thread: Personal Responsibility

Personal Responsibility

Personal Responsibility - I rarely see it any more. All you hear today is complaining about what is owed me, it was someone else’s fault, and its not my job. The police are here to take reports and to respond to incidents after they have started. It is their job to find the person who committed the crime and in some cases investigate the murder scene.

It is every law abiding citizens duty to be able to defend themselves and their family. You are the one who is going to prevent a crime, the police will be the ones who fill out the report afterward. You can choose whether they are filling out an incident report over the bad guys body or starting a murder investigation over your dead body.

Check out my blog for more on personal responsibility and join the debate:

Arizona Shooter

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Hear, hear!

I couldn't agree more, it's my biggest pet peeve. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, make your own luck, work hard, stop whining, and be a good example for the next generation. Somewhere along the way we got "soft" and lost the ability to think and do for ourselves, so now we just sit back and expect everything is owed to us merely because we can breathe on our own. Spoiled rotten and completely devoid of any accountability and self-respect.

It's gross. And sad.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogspec View Post
    Personal Responsibility - I rarely see it any more. All you hear today is complaining about what is owed me, it was someone else’s fault, and it's not my job...

This is exactly the attitude I see everyday in high school classes...no ownership, no work ethic, and a sense of entitlement for everything...sad!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This all reminds me of the talk I had last week with my step-daughter, who is due to grasuate about this time next year from college with her master's degree in accounting; I gave her the sam advice my Grandfather gave me regarding life:

Real life is not about how many times you win or lose games, or even about how many times you get knocked down; real life is about what you do when you get back up.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Welcome Warthogspec.

I am sure most of the folks here will be in complete agreement with your sentiments.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

+1.

I have to wonder, how many members here are actually first aid certified and would administer first aid to a wounded assailant that can no longer fight/is on the verge of dying.

Growing up my Dad always made a point of telling us four kids that there was no such thing as luck when it comes to life. You get out life exactly you put into it! There are no guarantees in life. It is what you make of it!

You can learn quite a bit from your successes in life. This applies equally to the failures in your life as well. After each experience, both positive AND negative look back, evaluate, and learn from that experience.

Last year I lost my Dad to cancer. At time I miss his words of wisdom.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    +1.

I have to wonder, how many members here are actually first aid certified and would administer first aid to a wounded assailant that can no longer fight/is on the verge of dying.
    Not to hijack, but if I've got an assailant coming at me, they won't be "wounded." No amount of 1st aid would be able to help. OTOH, I absolutely take accountability for any and every bullet that leaves my gun. I hope and pray none of them ever HAVE to end up in someone. But I carry to be accountable for my own safety, and that of my loved ones.

You make an excellent point, Diver.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

If it comes right down to it, I'm aiming for the "center of mass." I have no intention on trying to "wound" a BG headed my direction. I'll be doing the best I can to protect the life of me & my loved ones. The hard part will be if this occurs if I'm out with my Mom. As I have mentioned in the past, she's "anti-gun" so she'll get the biggest shock of her life if I have to protect her & I with my handgun.

I can hear the conversation now, "Mom, I, uh..." That's as far as I can speculate I'll reply to her so far. I'll fill in the rest later.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is exactly the attitude I see everyday in high school classes...no ownership, no work ethic, and a sense of entitlement for everything...sad!
    I see this every day at work. I am always harping on personal responsibility. You can't blame other people for your own problems.

Case in point from my job. As I've mentioned before, I work in a cellular carrier retail store as a service and repair technician. People come in with their PDA phones all the time that are stuck doing crazy stuff and I tell them I need to reset them. At least half of the people freak out that "I lost their information." Wait a minute... who's information was it? It wasn't mine. It's your responsibility, not mine.

I could go on and on, but everyone gets my point. People don't take responsibility for their own stuff anymore... they're way too concerned with blaming someone else for their problems. I guess it lets them sleep better at night.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Lack of personal responsibility seems to be the norm now. I had to face it daily at work with the union workforce. I blame my generation (baby boomer)for fostering this lazy attitude. If we had been more interested in family values, the personal responsibility would have been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Lack of personal responsibility seems to be the norm now. I had to face it daily at work with the union workforce. I blame my generation (baby boomer)for fostering this lazy attitude. If we had been more interested in family values, the personal responsibility would have been addressed.
    I see it a lot with folks my own age as well (early twenties). Kids are taught these days that they can do no wrong and that their is an excuse for everything... and it just leaves them as train wrecks as adults.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Speaking of personal responsibility - anyone seen this one?

Jobless NYC woman sues college for $70K in tuition

She's suing the college because she can't get a job...

Links