Gang problem in my Village

Gang problem in my Village

This is a discussion on Gang problem in my Village within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Things have apparently gone from bad to worse. My wife and I moved to a small village about 3 1/2 years ago. Immediately we had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gang problem in my Village

Angry Gang problem in my Village

Things have apparently gone from bad to worse. My wife and I moved to a small village about 3 1/2 years ago. Immediately we had problems with several of our neighbor's barking dogs, every day at all hours of the day and night. We drive to other community parks to exercise because of loose and stray dogs as I have posted in the past. NOW, there is a gang of 60+ people ranging in ages of 10 to 22 years old running around the village. They are involved in drugs, thefts, vandalism and breaking and entering for example. My wife's uncle's truck was broken into a few weeks ago too. These are surely a bunch of young punks but they are on the fast track to serous crime. Other than keeping a sharp eye out, locking our cars and house, having our 2 big dogs I hope I am doing everything I can to keep my family safe. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by chains1240; August 6th, 2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Watch the movie Gran Torino.
    Stay locked and loaded. Look for another village to live in.

A gang of 60+ is worth formal attention by the cavalry. I'd have a serious discussion with your area's sheriff and police organizations. Almost certainly, there's a regional attempt at organization when it comes to combating larger, tougher problems. 60+ thugs on the borderline of becoming serious felons seems worthy enough for me. Pursue it. Now. Else, move. Those seem like the options.

Until it's cleaned up, arm yourselves and beef up the home's defenses.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    Watch the movie Gran Torino.
    Stay locked and loaded. Look for another village to live in.
    Just watched Gran Torino a few days ago. Great movie. We may be moving soon anyhow, depends on what the bank can do for us. They may have to take the house back. If that's the case we may have to move to an even less desirable location.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A gang of 60+ is worth formal attention by the cavalry. I'd have a serious discussion with your area's sheriff and police organizations. Almost certainly, there's a regional attempt at organization when it comes to combating larger, tougher problems. 60+ thugs on the borderline of becoming serious felons seems worthy enough for me. Pursue it. Now. Else, move. Those seem like the options.

Until it's cleaned up, arm yourselves and beef up the home's defenses.
    A newsletter was sent out to all of the Village residents bringing attention to the problem. The village government is working with law enforcement to help solve the problem. Unfortunately Michigan is in a budget crunch. We have one night Deputy patrolling this side of the county and 100 less State troopers to help out. Thanks for the replies.

How strong is the Neighborhood Watch in your area? How well do the upstanding citizens (homeowners) know each other? Seems to be a great time to have a citizens' BBQ, to nail down plans to defend yourselves and look out for one another. 'Cause you don't seem to have much chance of getting "love" from local law enforcement anytime soon, unless it's dire. Of course, the little buggers'll know y'all are doing that on a given date/time, and they'll likely take it as a prime opportunity to burglarize all the unattended merch. *sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    How strong is the Neighborhood Watch in your area? How well do the upstanding citizens (homeowners) know each other? Seems to be a great time to have a citizens' BBQ, to nail down plans to defend yourselves and look out for one another. 'Cause you don't seem to have much chance of getting "love" from local law enforcement anytime soon, unless it's dire. Of course, the little buggers'll know y'all are doing that on a given date/time, and they'll likely take it as a prime opportunity to burglarize all the unattended merch. *sigh*
    I think that there is a large number of families out here that do work together. We are NOT part of that group because we do not seem to fit in around here. We are a quiet family that does not tolerate our dogs disturbing us or anyone else and we complain about our neighbors that do. That makes us bad people, so says our neighbors. My hope is that those people in the community that will not tolerate the "gang" will put the heat on them and it will dissolve within a few months, probably when school starts back up. The kids roam the streets mainly after 11PM and before 6AM. My home is pretty safe. Only two ways in and our room and the baby's room is at the end of a long hallway. But, at the end of that long hallway is a cell phone (911), Pitbull, Rottweiler, and me with protection. The dogs and I are really nice, unless we don't know you.

Suggestions That Work...

Hi Chains1240,

First, not to be rude, but doing anything that Clint Eastwood did in Gran Torino is a good way to get yourself shot. Gangs have a 'policy' that every member must respond to any and every insult. So Clint standing out on his front porch making the shooting gesture with his hand is throwing down the gauntlet, except real gang bangers don't mind doing a drive by. We love Clint Eastwood movies because he does what we'd all like someone to do...

That said, a better response is to deter, detect and report. Sounds wimpy and ineffective, but it really works, I know.

First, get some "Beware of Dog" signs at the hardware store for $1.50 each and staple gun them around your property, up where it's very easy to see, but hard to reach (and steal / remove). This does two things, first it warns criminals that entering your house will mean dealing with dogs. Second, my attorney informs me that if someone does get bit, you've at least warned them, which helps your case.

Second, get some alarm company stickers and the yard sign. This further sends the message that anyone entering will only have a few minutes to poke around, and will likely go deaf from a siren.

Link to yard sign and alarm stickers for $17.
    HSS3 | Home Security Store Yard Sign (No Stake) and 8 Decal Stickers | Home Security Store

Third, if they don't already, train your dogs to bark at the front door on command (if your screen door is closed but inner door open.) This confirms to people that, yes, you indeed have dog(s). I've found this to be a wonderful deterrent. Ever notice how all gangbangers have pitbulls and the like? They respect and fear the power of dogs. Any time I've seen some low-life near or on my property, I give the dog the command and she raises hell at the front door, the low-life looks up at the door then quickly moves on their way. Plus, a dog barking isn't taken personally, or as a challenge. People know there's no arguing with a dog, and that it can't be intimidated. A popular theme in many movies, Terminator, Aliens, the Borg, etc.

Fourth, a motion activated exterior light with two 150Watt floods is very effective. People wandering around at night feel safe under cover of darkness. Aim the sensor head up much higher than normal, almost straight out, even with the ground, put sensitivity to the highest, duration to 2 minutes. BUT put the bulbs to only shine on your property. Have seen it quite a few times, people wandering around, the light snaps on, they look around quickly and move on somewhere else.

At this point total expenses are $40. Two $1.50 dog signs, a $17 alarm sign and sticker kit, and a $20 motion light.

Next, and it's surprising how many people don't do this; remove or hide all valuables from within vehicles. Completely empty cars with a stock radio don't get broken into near as much. Many people leave cigarettes, wallet, change, cd's, cell phones, gps, bags, backpacks, etc. in their vehicles parked on the street at night, then wonder why they got broken into...

If you have the money, a surveillance video camera mounted in a conspicuous manner can really deter people. Regardless if the video is being recorded. I can direct you to the good ones which don't cost an arm and a leg, but are very effective.

All the previous stuff is defensive, next level is offensive. Nope, still not talking about Clint Eastwood. Talking about putting the squeeze on low-lives and their ways. Bear with me, but calling code enforcement on gang houses can start to put pressure on them they don't want. Really. Study the ordinances and codes, call up your code enforcement folks and have a chat with them. It gets pretty easy and has a huge effect on the neighborhood, which is why they're there. Again, something I've been doing for a while, it really works wonders, but does take patience.

Ok, this has turned into a novel, but please feel free to respond here or email me with any questions or comments.

Best Regards,
    Ensiferum

+1 on talk to police and join/form neighborhood watch.

You seem to be set on dogs and firearms (does your wife have one and is she trained?). Maybe add an alarm to the mix, and some motion activated lighting, make sure your doors have deadbolts, reinforced jambs and long hinge screws. Be sure to have a home invasion plan in place with your wife.

You may want to reconsider your opposition to the neighbors' noisy dogs. It seems those dogs being outside, obnoxious as their incessant barking may be, would generally enhance the security of the neighborhood.

This may be controversial but if it gets truly out of hand you may want to get the town to consider a curfew on kids under 18 except going to/from jobs.

Although I like Gran Torino I would never think of trying to emulate ol' Clint, it's just a movie. I have most of the items listed:Beware of Dogs Signs, motion detector lights, hand held video camera, dogs bark at the sound of knocking/doorbell, no valuables visible in cars.

village idiots

Sounds like your village has been importing everyone else's idiots. Maybe you can catch a few in live traps and send em back from wense they came!

Homegrown

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Sounds like your village has been importing everyone else's idiots. Maybe you can catch a few in live traps and send em back from wense they came!
    I think these idiots are homegrown. The history of the village is that it used to be a resort for wealthy business people and gangsters from Chicago. Then people started putting up single wide trailers and not keeping up their property. The population increased sharply and now we have what we have. Unlike the village of Fruitport and Spring Lake we do not have our own police force, probably due to a smaller population. Our ordinance enforcer is "deputized" and the newsletter says to call him if we spot any illegal activity and he will call 911. I have talked to the guy, he is really nice and a take charge kind of guy. But if it is that serious that it needs to be taken care of right now, why not tell everyone to just call 911? Sorry I think I started ranting. Doggon caffeine.

Hi Chains1240,

Thought of a few more things to consider. We all know that burglars head straight to the master bedroom looking for cash, jewelry, credit cards, passports, drivers licenses (identity theft is now more profitable than stolen goods.), and anything else. A pillow case removed and used as a 'go bag' for all your stuff. First places to look are the closet floor, and between and under mattresses and bed. A crowbar to a safe bolted to the floor makes quick work and the entire safe taken. Consider what all you have in there and if you'd miss it if stolen.

With all that in mind, the concept of Decoy Valuables comes in. If someone is looking for something and they find it, they won't keep looking for it, especially if a really loud alarm siren is deafening everyone inside the house.

You can get some real-looking jewelry at the mall, nothing ridiculously flashy, but things that look like they'd be real, fake diamond engagement ring for like $10, a gold watch at Walmart for $15, etc. Do you have any credit cards for which the account is closed? Confirm that they're inactive (by calling), then leave them out. After time you'll have a nice little stash of pretty, shiny, valuable looking things which cost you under $50.

Hopefully the burglar will be satisfied and not tear your place apart looking for 'the valuables.' Heck, leave a nice crisp $20 with the rings and credit cards. The burglar would likely be very happy with themselves and move on.

On another note, if you're gone during the day, consider leaving a radio on near the front door, loud enough so someone standing on your front porch can hear it and think someone may be home, but not so loud as to drive the dogs nuts of course...

After you add all these layers to your home, it sends quite the message, beware of dogs, beware of alarm system, radio suggests beware of someone home, exterior video camera - beware of being caught, etc.

Another thing, if you see low-lives outside, see if you can get some digital pictures of them. NOTE: Cover the flash with heavy duct tape or black electrical tape. You sure as hell don't want the flash going off if you get the setting wrong. Digital pictures can be emailed to the detectives division if you later see the same individuals doing something. Right, get their pics during the day when it's convenient, then keep them on file. You're now becoming your own neighborhood intelligence operation.

One last thing, this one is very difficult for many people; do not talk about your efforts with anyone outside your own household. Neighbors talk, their kids overhear them, people know each other, it's a small world. It's hard to do, but don't discuss these things with people, because if you end up getting one of the losers busted, they'll likely come to you afterwards. But if no one knows where it came from, you're good to go. Discreet surveillance, that's what the cops do, and it works.

Ok, going to close here.

Best Regards,
    Ensiferum

Thanks for the great advice.

If you are renting...I'd be relocating, quickly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links