Advanced screening of G. I. Joe

This is a discussion on Advanced screening of G. I. Joe within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My daughter won tickets to an advanced screening of G.I. Joe and wanted me to go with her. We saw it tonight (Thursday night) and ...

Thread: Advanced screening of G. I. Joe

My daughter won tickets to an advanced screening of G.I. Joe and wanted me to go with her. We saw it tonight (Thursday night) and I thought I would let everyone know, it is a good movie, lots of action and well worth going to see while it is on the big screen.

If you were a fan of the Saturday morning cartoon back in the day, you will love it and you will hear all the old lines in the movie.

We had a great time.

Now you know....and knowing is half the battle!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sweet, I didn't have many doubts but it's nice to hear good things.
    I'll be going this weekend.

Yo Joe!

Joker1

I think I'll refrain from spouting off the opening theme song from the original series...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I will see it friday ,didn't wanta go to the midnight show
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm 36, loved G.I.Joe as a child. I had so many of those toys and watched the cartoon right much. For some reason it seems like a kid movie to me, but I still plan to see it.

you mean to tell me you didn't "record" the movie for us to watch?

haha glad to hear it was good going sometime soon to see it!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

GI Joe: 'Not Some Yankee Soldier' [John J. Miller]

In the new GI Joe movie, Hollywood appears to have transformed an American hero into an A-Team for the United Nations. That's because "GI Joe" is now an acronym for "Globally Integrated Joint Operating Entity" (or something like that). But the film's marketers aren't exactly trumpeting this fact, at least not in the United States:

Paramount Pictures gave the movie its homeland premiere at the base for Air Force One, flying out its stars Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller and Marlon Wayans for a helicopter tour, meetings with the base commander and airmen, and a red carpet replete with paparazzi and billowing American flags. ... The subtext is none too subtle: Critics are likely to roast the film, and fanboys of the original toy line and comic book may be indifferent, but if you're a flag-waving, Nascar-loving American, it's practically your patriotic duty to see this movie. ...
    European marketing, rather, focuses on action sequences set in Paris — where the Eiffel Tower collapses — Egypt and Tokyo, and emphasizes that G.I. Joe is an international team of crack operatives and not some Yankee soldier.

When it comes to selling "G.I. Joe" outside the U.S., the message is "this is not a George Bush movie — it's an Obama world," director Stephen Sommers said. "Right from the writing stage we said to ourselves, this can't be about beefy guys on steroids who all met each other in the Vietnam War, but an elite organization that's made up of the best of the best from around the world."

I'll pass.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I can't wait to go! I'm lucky enough to have 2 teenage daughter that just love those kind of movies!
    [One Nation Under God]

"A Real American Hero" ..... G.I. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    GI Joe: 'Not Some Yankee Soldier' [John J. Miller]

In the new GI Joe movie, Hollywood appears to have transformed an American hero into an A-Team for the United Nations. That's because "GI Joe" is now an acronym for "Globally Integrated Joint Operating Entity" (or something like that). But the film's marketers aren't exactly trumpeting this fact, at least not in the United States:

Paramount Pictures gave the movie its homeland premiere at the base for Air Force One, flying out its stars Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller and Marlon Wayans for a helicopter tour, meetings with the base commander and airmen, and a red carpet replete with paparazzi and billowing American flags. ... The subtext is none too subtle: Critics are likely to roast the film, and fanboys of the original toy line and comic book may be indifferent, but if you're a flag-waving, Nascar-loving American, it's practically your patriotic duty to see this movie. ...
    European marketing, rather, focuses on action sequences set in Paris where the Eiffel Tower collapses Egypt and Tokyo, and emphasizes that G.I. Joe is an international team of crack operatives and not some Yankee soldier.

When it comes to selling "G.I. Joe" outside the U.S., the message is "this is not a George Bush movie it's an Obama world," director Stephen Sommers said. "Right from the writing stage we said to ourselves, this can't be about beefy guys on steroids who all met each other in the Vietnam War, but an elite organization that's made up of the best of the best from around the world."

I'll pass.
    Pass if you want but I can tell you from seeing the movie, it does not come off as that review portrays it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Just saw it last night. Here is my official Bunny Review:

HOLY CRAP ON A CRAP CRACKER, RUN DON'T WALK TO SEE IT!

Seriously, it was fantastic. Very action-packed and fast-paced. The cool high-tech toys on both sides were incredible! It was worth the price of admission alone for some of the fight scenes. We had moments where folks in the audience stood up and cheered! (Ok, I may have been one of them.) This is definitely one of those movies where it's best to spend the $10 a ticket and go see it on the big screen, with the Dolby Stereo or whatever, than wait till it comes out on DVD.

And take your kids, but with one word of caution -- there's an S-bomb and an A-H bomb dropped in the movie, so if you have kids who are too young to handle that language, think twice. If you think they can handle two swears in the course of 2 hours' run time, they will really enjoy it. Also some of the scenes are a little violent (duh). We took our 10-year old and his friend though, and they LOVED IT!

They also wanted to join the military after the movie was over. Hmmm...
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Just got back from seeing an afternoon showing. I thought it was pretty good, probably coulda used a few more of the original USMC characters in it to help them, they were always the best of the Joes.

Seriously though, when am I gonna get issued my accelerator suit? That would make a grunts life a fair bit easier.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Figures Hollywood would "Obama-proof" the whole GI Joe concept. Well, at least the chick is HOT!!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I was worried they would screw up my memories of the old cartoon. Glad to hear more and more saying it was good.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I was never into GI Joe, and wouldn't care about the movie, BUT.........
    The Bag guy is played by the 9th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston. For those of you who don't know the reference, He was the star of Dr Who during the first year of the new series in 2005. As a huge Dr Who fan, I will have to see it. But, since I'm still out of work, I'll have to see it for free online. Not Big Screen, but a way. And if I really like it, I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, hopefully I'll be working by then.

Sponsored Links