Caught photo of lightning at sunset

This is a discussion on Caught photo of lightning at sunset within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We've had four waves of storms move down the foothills and right overhead tonight. The stinkin DishNetwork keeps going out and torquing me off. The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

We've had four waves of storms move down the foothills and right overhead tonight. The stinkin DishNetwork keeps going out and torquing me off. The weather has been real wierd here this year and if I wanted rain and thunderstorms every evening, I would have stayed in the upper midwest.

But, I did manage to snag this photo:

Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; August 9th, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Pretty cool pic ya got there. I actually don't remember ever seeing any lightning here in Hawaii, which kinda disappoints me, as I like to watch storms. I was so excited last time I was on leave and we had a spring thunderstorm. We do get rain out here though, lots and lots of rain.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I was in Oahu, Maui, and Kauai in May of this year. We saw lots and lots and lots of rain in Kauai.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

It seems we get at least sprinkled on at least once a day on my part of Oahu. The worst rain I've seen on the islands was on the Big Island up in the mountains, and its cold up there too.

But, we do get lots of rainbows, if that is your thing I guess. I've seen two at once, which was kinda neat, and also I've seen them at night, I'm not sure how the heck that works, but yeah. Back to lightning in Colorado I suppose...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member

That is a great shot!

I was at MCAS Kanehoe for three years. I remember lightning was very rare. Only remember it during really big storms. I guess it has to do with all the water around the island.

Seeing a roiling, boiling, towering wall of hail storming down from the flatirons is a sight to behold, particularly when you're 1mi from shelter in the middle of a field. BTDT, in my first exposure to hailstones larger than golf balls. Dented the steel and chipped the paint on my bicycle, and tore skin from my arms. Ten minutes later, it was gone, rumbling into the distance.

Thank you so very much for resurrecting that old memory. Yikes!

Nice photo, by the way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Fantastic pic! Great example of Colorado weather. I love the lower clouds on the left contrasted to the rain front and center, with the sunset brightening the right edge.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Seeing a roiling, boiling, towering wall of hail storming down from the flatirons is a sight to behold, particularly when you're 1mi from shelter in the middle of a field.
    We had several rounds of hail with these storms tonight. I hate watching my truck sit in the street (doesn't fit in the garage here) getting pelted. Fortunately, we didn't get anything as big as you mentioned, this time... It was enough to strip half the leaves off our trees and all the leaves off the rose bushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Fantastic pic! Great example of Colorado weather. I love the lower clouds on the left contrasted to the rain front and center, with the sunset brightening the right edge.

Well done.
    Thanks for the kind words. You know, a year ago, there wouldn't have been any of those homes in the lower part of the frame and it would have been one wild nature picture. They'll break ground on four more homes there this week.

Who is John Galt?

What a great shot...how did you manage to capture such an 'instant' moment?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thats a great pic
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What a great shot...how did you manage to capture such an 'instant' moment?
    A lot of luck and good equipment. I use a DSLR (digital camera body with interchangable lenses) Nikon D60. I framed the shot and have the camera set to snap 3 photos in immediate succession when you push the shutter release. I set the white balance, aperature, focus, and shutter speed with just the clouds and sunset. The storm was very lightening intense and after about 15 shots/photos, I managed to catch one. When I'd see a strike, I'd hit and hold the shutter. Obviously, with reaction time and all, this bolt would have immediatly followed the initial strike when I hit the shutter.

You can see the lightning is becoming disconnected from the cloud so I almost missed it. I tried to catch another with no luck and then I lost the sunset.

Who is John Galt?

Great photo.

Anyone living in or around NYC can often get a look at this light show. I have been in the city during many a storm and the show is spectacular.

Empire State Building. NYC

BTW this is not my picture.
    Attached Images

Awesome pic! HowStuffWorks "How Lightning Works"

All you ever wanted to know about lightning!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Great picture! It is now the background on my desktop. Hope you don't mind.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Excellent! I saved it to my Screen Saver photos...thanks!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links