Red Light Camera + Borrowed Vehicle

This is a discussion on Red Light Camera + Borrowed Vehicle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife is in in a borrowed vehicle on a trip to the east coast. She's pretty sure she got nabbed by a redlight camera ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife is in in a borrowed vehicle on a trip to the east coast. She's pretty sure she got nabbed by a redlight camera (turned red prior to her exiting the intersection). Any idea how to go about making it right so the owner of the vehicle doesn't get the ticket? Fighting in court is not going to be an option due to location (halfway across the country).

Maybe I am wrong but I thought that you had to be into the intersection before it turned red not completly thru it.

I'm not sure. FWIW... this happened in Maryland.

ETA... she said she saw flash like that from a camera strobe.

It may have just been a traffic sensor and not an actual camera.

Crossing the stop line after the light is red is the violation. Two pictures are usually taken, one at the stop line and one showing the vehicle in the intersection. tickets are computer generated and mailed to the registered owner.

The remedy will come from your communication with the local prosecutor.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    As far as I know there is no way to "make it right" other than offer to pay the ticket for the owner if one shows up in the mail. Not sure on MD law, but in VA a camera generated ticket does not go against a driving record, there are no points assessed against your license and insurance rates are not affected by them.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    It may have just been a traffic sensor and not an actual camera.

Crossing the stop line after the light is red is the violation. Two pictures are usually taken, one at the stop line and one showing the vehicle in the intersection. tickets are computer generated and mailed to the registered owner.

The remedy will come from your communication with the local prosecutor.
    that is what I thought, if you are in the intersection when it turns red you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
    that is what I thought, if you are in the intersection when it turns red you are ok.
    Generally, not always.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I wouldn't worry about it...if it happen, it happens.
    I assume that you know the owner of the car? Just sit back and wait...it won't be long before the 'Russian invented' ticket scheme sends you a notice. Hopefully it didn't happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I think you just need to tell the person you got the car from of the possibility, and let them know you'll pay if a ticket arrives.

FWIW, a petition drive in our community will put the issue of red-light cameras on our next ballot. It seems likely (I hope) that the City Council will finally get the message and be forced to boot the camera companies out of town.

Then number of tickets issued by these "robots" is enormous, and far exceeds what I would expect from my observations of the way folks actually drive.

The idea sounds good, but it somehow just isn't implemented well. Seems more like revenue raising than traffic enforcement.

Well, at least we'll get to vote on it in Nov.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

I agree with Hopyard?????

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Seems more like revenue raising than traffic enforcement.
    Hopyard nailed this one, these cameras are only about revenue. If they worked as a detrerent then eventually they would stop generating revenue; these things are a cash cow for local government yet do nothing to protect people from traffic accidents.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Hopyard nailed this one, these cameras are only about revenue. If they worked as a detrerent then eventually they would stop generating revenue; these things are a cash cow for local government yet do nothing to protect people from traffic accidents.
    We have red light cameras and stationary speed cameras. Local government has already admitted the speed cameras DO NOT generate much money and it is a fact that people slow down when approaching them (dangerously so, at times.) It is an effetive deterrent.

After the few hundred feet are passed, excessive speed is resumed by many drivers.

jfl

Cheers,
    And AFAIK for the company that operates the system.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I've read complaints about the yellow being shorted to create more violations. Is that still going on?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    ..... It is an effetive deterrent.

After the few hundred feet are passed, excessive speed is resumed by many drivers.
    So then what you are saying is the do not work; they are not an effective deterrent
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    So then what you are saying is the do not work; they are not an effective deterrent
    Pretty much.

The red light cameras cause more accidents, albeit relatively minor rear end collisions. They probably do prevent the more serious intersection accidents that cause loss of life and severe injuries. The jury is still out and we have only four in the city so far.

The speed cameras could be replaced with cardboard cutouts of police cars with equivalent efficacy.

We do have mobile vans with radar. But they announce where and when they are setting up and for how long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links