Most heard comment at tech support

This is a discussion on Most heard comment at tech support within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My son is working technical support at a national call in center. After he identifies himself and all the niceties, the comment he hears the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most heard comment at tech support

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

My son is working technical support at a national call in center. After he identifies himself and all the niceties, the comment he hears the most is, "I am so glad I am talking to an American". You can actually hear the relief in their voice.

He meets some of the most interesting people from all over the country. Whodathunk that playing all those computer games and having LAN parties would net him a decent paying job.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

DM2
    I've gotten to the point that I will ask if they are located in America, especially if I need something handled immediately. I had a big problem with this when I was modifying my mortgage. The call centers in India and other places only have a script they can go by and can't do a darn thing to offer any meaningful customer service.

I called one company to make a payment because their website was down. The rep in India said that I had to pay a $25 fee if she processed it or it would be free online. I explained that the site was down and she said she couldn't waive the fee. What kind of service is that. So I asked to be transfered to someone in America and the payment was made and the fee waived without any questions.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

I have been told that if you say "I want to speak with and American representative" they must transfer you.... I'm going to give it a try next time....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I just hate having to deal with someone I can't understand.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't get that." "What was that again?" "I'm sorry, I DON'T know what you're saying."

Ugh. It gets old.

I did, however, make a mistake once. A man with a heavy accent answered, and I joked "I guess I know where this call went." He proceeded to chide me that he was, indeed, an American, and the call was answered in Florida.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yeah, I got busted once when I asked where the customer service person was and they answered, "Carson, CA."

Oooops, caught profiling again.

That is unless they renamed the town in India "CarsonCalifornia"
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I have an ability to mimic those with "accents" not from the United States. When they try to inform me their name is "John" or other, I inform them in their "accent" that I need to speak to someone who speaks English in the United States and that I cannot understand them. Freaks them out totally. Most just hang up, or at least try to transfer me to someone else.

Then once there was the Hispanic telephone operator who got a bit huffy with me as I tried to get some service.
    She muttered some Spanish unpleasantries to me. I replied with some Spanish unpleasantries of my own and told her in Spanish that I needed to speak to her supervisor, immediately. She got real nice after that. Guess she figured this ol' West Virginia Hillbilly couldn't habla Espanol at all.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

What do you expect for $1.00 per/day? The worst par tof the call is that these companies use VOIP and the connection is terrible so you wind up yelling at the customer service person which makes the call worse. I get a kick out when you call American Express and they are in India.

And they wonder where the jobs went.They try to be helpful but I still cannot understand them. I actually got an American the other day when I called Bell South when my modem screwed up.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Sigh... I have a GREAT tech support story I could tell, but there is simply no way to post it with the rules of DeeCee... euphemisms kill the story...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I have been told that if you say "I want to speak with and American representative" they must transfer you.... I'm going to give it a try next time....
    thats exactly what my wife and i do......... if they wont transfer us we ask for their supervisor.... We dont talk till they give us someone that speaks ENGLISH>>>>
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

NICE!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    My son is working technical support at a national call in center. After he identifies himself and all the niceties, the comment he hears the most is, "I am so glad I am talking to an American". You can actually hear the relief in their voice.

He meets some of the most interesting people from all over the country. Whodathunk that playing all those computer games and having LAN parties would net him a decent paying job.
    LOL, this thread might get interesting. I work in a Dell call center in Oklahoma City. We hear the I am so glad I am talking to an American, I cant understand those other guys. Funny thing about it is, its usually someone with a really thick accent that we cant understand!

I have a weekly teleconference with people in India. While their accent takes some getting used to, their written English grammar and spelling is superb...seriously, better than most Americans.

Where I work is like the United Nations, we have all kinds of people here from many different countries and I pride myself being able to understand and communicate with them. One time I called tec support I got this lady with such a heavy Indian accent the it was impossible for me to understand her. after two minutes of having her repeat herself I told her that I needed to talk to someone else because I could not understand her and I told her that I was sorry, etc. and I was not being racist or anything, I just plain and simple could not understand her. She got all pissy so I hung up and called back later and got some guy that while he was Indian, I could understand with no problem.

How this woman got the job is beyond me.

I very much dislike talking to any tech support. If you've read the instructions, read the help files then in most cases you know more than the person reading off their screen. They still make you go through all the troubleshooting on their screen. I'm no Einstein, but I don't call tech support until I've been through all the instructions, help files etc. It really burns me to have to do it all again after I call.

I have trouble understanding most Indian techs and it seems like the American ones have a less than service oriented attitude.

I wish your son the best of luck in his new job. Hope he has a long fuse, he'll need it.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links