Been away a few days....

This is a discussion on Been away a few days.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; if you can walk away from the landing, its a good landing. looks like a fun weekend toy, but i agree, way under armored ;) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been away a few days....

if you can walk away from the landing, its a good landing.

looks like a fun weekend toy, but i agree, way under armored ;)
    should be great for getting away from those pesky roaming zombies.

i want to get my PPL, but funding is running a little low, so it will wait a few years.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    That was in the UK, the guy was showing off, he did not flare, and it is called pilot error, their rules are not as stringent as ours.

Ultralight (FAA rules, under 254 pounds) requires no license but that was no ultralight. Mine is N numbered and licensed.....
    To become a pilot here it is 20 hours with a CFI for a sport class license, (2 place 1320 max pound aircraft fully loaded) you have to do a cross country, pass ground school and complete 40 hours of solo time before you can take on a pasanger....

At the air show I watched mutiple pilots land with their engine off and not roll 12 inches after TD, most roll less, it's called practice.... and any pilot worth their salt will regularly practice engine out landings.
    Sheldon,

I've observed over the years that it's human nature for people to make fun of what they either don't understand or appreciate. Some of the above posts attest to that.

Have fun with your new hobby. One of these days I might have to get into that hobby myself. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Sheldon,

I've observed over the years that it's human nature for people to make fun of what they either don't understand or appreciate. Some of the above posts attest to that.

Have fun with your new hobby. One of these days I might have to get into that hobby myself. We'll see.
    Seen that more than once...
    OH story time, along similar lines a few years back I had a friend that it was rumored had won the lottery...

When I saw him a day later I asked if it was true, and he answered in the affirmative. I so love to have Friends have good fortune and I congratulated him shook his hand and asked what was next on his agenda...
    He then told me that it was a test, and he had won nothing, but just wanted to see the reaction he would get. Resulst were that only a small percentage congratulated him...
    With the rest it varied from indifference to total jealously and hate, he had something they did not....

But this is closer to what you said.... just comments to say something and boost the ole post count....

One more story... 34 years ago before I was married I was taking flying lessons, completed my ground school, and then I got married....
    Flying was expensive then (and is now) Money was needed elsewhere, house payments, bills, family stuff, worked 6-7 days a week, so I just gave it up.
    But I had promised myself to take it back up again one day, Now I am retired, bills are payed, kids are gone, and at long last it is my turn, although the wife says she will not ride with me until I have 100 hours in the air she supports me on this.....
    I wonder if it has anything to do with my life insurance policy ;-)....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Well have fun I'm jealous as .......I always wanted to fly helicopters,have flown fixed wing cessna riding with a buddy,no takeoffs or landings(crashes) tho
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Well have fun I'm jealous as .......I always wanted to fly helicopters,have flown fixed wing cessna riding with a buddy,no takeoffs or landings(crashes) tho
    Have you thought of Ultralights? with a good CFI they can be a safe as anything else....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Sheldon,

Curious statement...I'm not exactly sure who you are referring to...
    I meant no disrespect nor ill-will towards Sheldon J...only a reply as to what gently 'could' mean.

My experience?
    I do have a pilot's license, and...years ago...I had one of these...
    Weedhopper Aircraft Company Homepage
    It was back in the late 70's (yep, I'm old) and shortly after my purchase, the designer, John Chotia (out of Utah) was killed in his own design.

I'm curious, what experience do you speak from?
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 14th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With the proper training a Ultralight can be and is a hoot! Safety first so training with a CFI is a must, on a side note tomorrow I am riding the motorcycle down and she is going in the air for the first time!! I will post photos later....

Sheldon J...Good Luck

I am anxiously awaiting your report. The first time I took off in a Weedhopper (at about 25 mph), I felt like I was sitting in a motorized lawn chair...landing was a hoot.
    It's been a long time, but flying ultralights definitely gets into the blood...enjoy!

When you return...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 14th, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Talking Up Up and away....

Long day today but as you can see she flies, first few runs were with the computer attached to the main rotor to check to be sure she was running true, then once all check out it was up up and away....

thats awesome. looks like a ton of fun.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    thats awesome. looks like a ton of fun.
    That is the culmination of close to 2 years of work..... Once the CFI has flown off the time then I can start my lessons.....

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Congrats Sheldon, quite a ship you've built there.

A low time fixed wing pilot myself, that is one type of aircraft I've never encountered while flying. I imagine they fly the helicopter pattern due to speeds? It'd be a real hoot to see, but I'd be interested how it mixes with traffic at a small uncontrolled GA field.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

To Sixto. This aircraft is right out of Willie E Coyote playbook. Maybe it came from ACME.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    To Sixto. This aircraft is right out of Willie E Coyote playbook. Maybe it came from ACME.
    Nope Canada which is close......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links