Been away a few days....

This is a discussion on Been away a few days.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; N finally finished one of my main projects... No I did not carry did not want to scratch the paint, been at this one for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been away a few days....

Talking Been away a few days....

N finally finished one of my main projects... No I did not carry did not want to scratch the paint, been at this one for close to 2 years now.....At the PRA convention in Mentone Ind....
    One side note in this photo even I can see the the weight I have lost is real aparent (I can start to see my chest and not just my stomach).....

"The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Wow, an autogyro, cool! How well does it fly?

My CFI has to fly off 5 hours in it before I can start lessons, then I will find out.... Each gyro has it's own characteristics but there are more RAF's in the air than any other make....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    That's cool, is it fun to fly?

Looks cool!

Where do you hook the rocket pods and 30MM Gatling???
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    That's an awesome toy.

oh, and congrats on the weight loss.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

That is awesome. Is that a kit that you can build yourself and how much does one of those cost?

How much insurance does your wife have on you?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How much insurance does your wife have on you?
    Good question, but one of the interesting things about this type of aircraft is its ability to land safely under no power.

Being a combination of helicopter and plane, the overhead blades rotate just enough to keep it airborne while the propeller gives the autogyro its speed. In the event of power loss it autorotates gently to the ground.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Good question, but one of the interesting things about this type of aircraft is its ability to land safely under no power.

Being a combination of helicopter and plane, the overhead blades rotate just enough to keep it airborne while the propeller gives the autogyro its speed. In the event of power loss it autorotates gently to the ground.
    ....in theory anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post

This gently?
    YouTube - Ultralight Autogiro crash
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ....in theory anyway.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!Nice!!!
    I like it!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ....in theory anyway.
    Try this:

Most vendors recommend that a new pilot have at least ten hours of instruction by a rated instructor in small fixed-wing aircraft, followed by at least two hours of instruction in a dual-place autogyro with an experienced instructor. An autogyro is more similar to a fixed-wing aircraft than to a helicopter. One must be able to land safely and reliably before attempting to fly any aircraft alone.

Autogyros are relatively safe, but not foolproof. There were 19 fatal autogyro accidents reported to the FAA between 1996 and 2001. Autogyros are aircraft. Do not neglect safety precautions: training, instrumentation, flight rules, preflight checklists, and periodic inspections and maintenance. In the United States private, recreational, and commercial pilot licenses with rotorcraft category and gyroplane class rating are issued, or the rating is added to an existing license for other aircraft; holders of sport pilot licenses can also qualify to fly autogyros. Requirements include completing required training times, passing written exams, and successfully doing oral and practical tests. Sport pilot license in-flight tests can be conducted in single-seat aircraft, but a "single place only" limitation is placed on the certificate in such cases.

"Learning to fly the rotor" is a vital ingredient for safe flight in an autogyro - models and rotary kites can help the learning process, and towed gyro-gliders and boom-trainers are ideal tools for this as well as being cheap to build and fly.

See above.

That was in the UK, the guy was showing off, he did not flare, and it is called pilot error, their rules are not as stringent as ours.

Ultralight (FAA rules, under 254 pounds) requires no license but that was no ultralight. Mine is N numbered and licensed.....
    To become a pilot here it is 20 hours with a CFI for a sport class license, (2 place 1320 max pound aircraft fully loaded) you have to do a cross country, pass ground school and complete 40 hours of solo time before you can take on a pasanger....

At the air show I watched mutiple pilots land with their engine off and not roll 12 inches after TD, most roll less, it's called practice.... and any pilot worth their salt will regularly practice engine out landings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links