Refrigerated air conditioning.

This is a discussion on Refrigerated air conditioning. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here are a couple things you can check or fix fairly easily on your own, based on personal experiences with such AC units: Is the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refrigerated air conditioning.

Here are a couple things you can check or fix fairly easily on your own, based on personal experiences with such AC units:

Is the air moving at a decent speed? Your filters may be clogged. Check & replace the filters. I've also noticed that if the filters get clogged, the evaporator coils may ice up, which also blocks air flow.

Is the air not really cooling? There may be a problem with the compressor. How dirty is it? I hose mine out periodically - dirt and debris tends to build up in the cooling fins, which severely lowers the cooling efficiency.

Also, if it's not cooling much at all, you may have a burnt out fuse or breaker (which either of the above conditions could cause). You should hear the compressor when it turns on. If it's not turning on, reset the breaker or replace the fuses.

Those are all things I do myself when I have an AC problem. Beyond that, it's time to call a pro. Good luck. A properly working AC unit is MUCH more comfortable than a swamp cooler.

2. Remove Ads

Evap coolers bring the humidity inside the house up tremendously. I've even seen guns rust. The problem with them is they quit working when the dew point is above 55. Now you've got hot air blowing in. Many homes here in Phoenix have them, and it can be miserable in July and August when our monsoon storms come in. We've been very lucky so far this year. One of the hottest Julys on record, but the humidity and dew point have remained low.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Your AC isn't working if that is the case.. :-) I wouldn't have a swamp cooler if I had to,. (will ok, if I had to).. But I like the good ole AC,.. It used to cool my 2200 sq foot house in no time flat, and now that I've reduced the house size, this one cools it just fine too.. I would say 1500 sq foot house should cool 5 degrees in ten minutes (roughly) if that isn't happening, call a ac guy,..

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Thank you all for your input. I should have been more clear about my situation. The house I moved into is brand new. I'm sure because I saw it under construction. Anyway I'm receiving much advise from Hopyard, Random and Paymeister. Airflow seems OK, filters are new like house. BTW the house is only 900 sqft. TucAzRider says his cools 1500 sqft 5 degrees in 10 minutes. I switched on mine at 4:20pm and ran until 5:00pm. Temp was 90 when I turned it on, 88 forty minutes later. Obviously not too good. One suggestion was check the filters, where are they? Another, hose out the compressor, is that the thing next to the garage? Regarding the fan switch, there are two switches, one says COOL-OFF-HEAT, I put this one on COOL. The other is the fan and it says AUTO-ON. I set on AUTO. Also, where are the evaporative coils and what do they look like? Someone mentioned the return filter, where is it? Are there more than one than one type of filter?
    I appreciate the help, but I'm a novice, any other ideas are welcome.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Although it >should not< occur, I have seen air conditioning duct work in attics [even new houses] that have air leaks due to one or more of the following: Alarm or other contractor got hot while working in the attic and >added< an air conditioning vent to the attic; the installing contractor's labor did not properly seal the joints when putting it together / remodeling / fixing after the >added air vent<; duct work pushed aside while crawling through the attic and inadvertently pulled out of other connections.

Additionally, take a look at your outside compressor unit. Make sure that there is not a weather cover installed on it, or perhaps someone placed something on it, i.e. drying out a sleeping bag or blanket.

Check that the fuses and breakers are all turned on, some a/c systems will have two breakers (one for the inside and one for the outside equipment) other installations and systems may have been set up with one main breaker and one or more down line breakers.

As others stated, check the filter/s, fans, air movement. As this is apparently a new house, I would also immediately get with the seller / contractor as new houses are typically sold with a one year warranty on various equipment at a minimum.

SIDE NOTE: If the house is new, then you should have received a copy of the operation instructions for ALL appliances [from hot water heater, stove, garbage disposal, washer/dryer, dishwasher etc. INCLUDING things like thermostats and time clocks that have been installed.

Sadly, most homeowners don't realize that they should receive this information as a matter of course when getting the house and/or simply don't ask for it when getting the house.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by LR88; August 11th, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Readability improvements

VIP Member
    New House and AC. Everything is on warranty. Call the builder or the AC contractor.

Something is wrong. You just never know with new construction. It could be something as simple as a circuit breaker never flipped on. It could be something stupid like the AC guy not putting the freon charge in. It could be something really really stupid like the guy who installed the duct forgetting to put a return air ---like why you can't find where the filter is.* Someone should have walked through the house with you to show you to make things work.

There are lots of possibilities. Call your builder. Maybe call your realtor. S/he might know who to call or even be able to come on over and take a quick look before calling the AC mechanic.

*To find filter---usually there will be a return air duct with a large metal grate covering it and the filter is inside. Around here they tend to put them in the ceilings. Other places they sometimes put them in a wall near the floor. You can't miss it if you look for it. The grate on a modest size house will be about 15 X 20 sq inches up to maybe 20 X 30.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I should have been more clear about my situation. The house I moved into is brand new. I'm sure because I saw it under construction. Anyway I'm receiving much advise from Hopyard, Random and Paymeister. Airflow seems OK, filters are new like house. BTW the house is only 900 sqft. TucAzRider says his cools 1500 sqft 5 degrees in 10 minutes. I switched on mine at 4:20pm and ran until 5:00pm. Temp was 90 when I turned it on, 88 forty minutes later. Obviously not too good. One suggestion was check the filters, where are they? Another, hose out the compressor, is that the thing next to the garage? Regarding the fan switch, there are two switches, one says COOL-OFF-HEAT, I put this one on COOL. The other is the fan and it says AUTO-ON. I set on AUTO. Also, where are the evaporative coils and what do they look like? Someone mentioned the return filter, where is it? Are there more than one than one type of filter?
    I appreciate the help, but I'm a novice, any other ideas are welcome.
    I am a Heating and a/c contractor in NY, In the last 30 years I have installed literally thousands of systems. could you please send me the Make, model and serial number of your equipment? Your doing the right things, but you obviously have "issues". In a new house I doubt your filters are dirty (although they could be from drywall dust) Your T'stat is set correctly, set your indoor temp to whatever you feel you will be comfortable with, like 75°. Like LR88 said, you could have duct leakage in the attic and like I said in an earlier post you need a pro to go find out. You need someone to figure out what your air flow is (there is a math formula for this)
    Again, you need to find out what the Superheat and Subcooling is, these will tell the technician if the system is charged correctly. How far is the indoor unit from the outdoor unit, Vertically and horizontally. In other words, How long is the line set (the two copper tubes that go between units, the big one is insulated, the little one is bare, this distance is important)

There are a couple of general "rules-of-thumb" for a/c

1) 600 sq ft per ton of a/c. you have 900ft² so you should have a minimum of a 1½ ton a/c. But your in NM, I would think a 2 ton would be a better choice because of your heat load

2) around here some guys use 18 BTU's per square foot but I don't think that would work in the Southwest

and you want 400 cfm per ton of a/c, 1½ ton, you need a minimum of 600 cfm from your indoor fan, 2 ton you need 800cfm and so on. It's entirely possible the fan is moving to much air

Send me the info I requested and I can tell you more about your equipment. I can probably even get you some manuals if you want them (depending on what system you have)
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

ooh ya, if this is a new home and you just moved in, this SHOULD NOT COST YOU A DIME.

This is all warranty stuff.

Some companies have "install crews" and when they get finished, they call the "service crew" to do the start up.

As stupid as this sounds, it is possible the service crew never got called, and the service valves are still closed ~~~not good.

I would not run this thing util you get someone over there to check thing s out
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

LR88 hit some great point,.. Check the air flow coming out,. If you don't have air flow, you have blockage somewhere.. I know I have let my filters get REALLY dirt with dog hair and it my AC continues to work fine,.

Did you check and make sure the power is on for the outside unit? They normally have a electric box on the wall next to it and if that is off, you're only turning the inside fan... Check that for sure..

If that is all on, I would call someone to check the freon in it,. It is possible that it wasn't charge or never checked for leaks afterwards,.. With the sq footage you have, it should be ice cold in there within a VERY short time..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links