Man Convicted for Machine Guns and Explosives in Storage Unit

This is a discussion on Man Convicted for Machine Guns and Explosives in Storage Unit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you may remember this story from January: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ons-cache.html A Spokane man illegally amassed 37 machine guns, 54 grenades, two grenade launchers and 7.5 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Convicted for Machine Guns and Explosives in Storage Unit

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Man Convicted for Machine Guns and Explosives in Storage Unit

Some of you may remember this story from January:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ons-cache.html

A Spokane man illegally amassed 37 machine guns, 54 grenades, two grenade launchers and 7.5 pounds of C-4 and left them in a storage locker. He failed to pay his rent, the contents were auctioned and the new owner called ATF.

Trial is over and he has been convicted...

Spokane man who stockpiled weapons gets 4 years | Spokesman.com | Aug 14, 2009

SEATTLE — A Spokane man who stockpiled what prosecutors described as a “troubling” arsenal of illegal weapons will spend the next four years in prison.

Ronald L. Struve, 67, was also sentenced Friday in Seattle to two years probation and ordered to undergo mental health treatment.

U.S. District Court Judge Marsha Pechman said his arsenal posed “a huge danger to the community.”

Struve, a legal stenographer, was arrested in Spokane in January after federal agents raided a storage locker in Bellevue, seizing 37 machine guns, 54 grenades, two grenade launchers and 7.5 pounds of C-4 plastic explosives.

The arsenal was discovered when rent wasn’t paid and the Bellevue unit’s contents were auctioned last November

The agents also searched a stored vehicle and two rental units at 2814 N. Napa St. in Spokane leased by Struve, seizing seven machine guns, a Russian sniper rifle, an AK-47 assault rifle, and a host of machine gun parts that are illegal to own without proper federal licenses.

Agents also seized 33 other legal firearms for safekeeping from the north Spokane location, according to court documents.

Prosecutors say many of the weapons had been stolen from the military.

The arsenal was discovered when rent wasn’t paid and the unit’s contents were auctioned last November.

Struve’s lawyer, Jay Stansell, has described his client as “nothing more than a loner-type person with some unusual political ideas.”
    here are some photos:
    Spokane man who stockpiled weapons gets 4 years | Spokesman.com | Aug 14, 2009

We must always follow the law. This guy was a nutcase and a stupid one too boot.

2. Remove Ads

Wow. He only got 4 years. That was a lot of grenades. He could have done some serious damage if he had went crazy.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

some people have ALL the cool toys. :(

If he did steal them and/or possess them illegally, then I have no issue with his arrest/conviction on those principles.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

So that's where the Mexican drug lords are buying their weapons.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice collection.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Looks like rent was more effective than the gun laws. Finally the media can state cash of firearm, and I can agree.

Odd case. So many illegal firearms, you would think he was holding them for others.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Struve’s lawyer, Jay Stansell, has described his client as “nothing more than a loner-type person with some unusual political ideas.”
    What's that lawyer talk for,My client was ready for armaggedon.I believe that's usually the type of person that goes off and starts slaughtering victims at will for no apparent reason except maybe his toast was too crisp,I cannot believe he only got 4 years for that amount of weapons,especially if they were stolen from the government
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...I cannot believe he only got 4 years for that amount of weapons,especially if they were stolen from the government
    I'm betting his age and mental state.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Nice collection.
    +1.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    U.S. District Court Judge Marsha Pechman said his arsenal posed “a huge danger to the community.”

Looks they caught the weapons just in time. It appears they were about to lose control and get 'dangerous'.
    I've no doubt they were plotting an attack the whole time they were hiding in the storage shed.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post

Looks they caught the weapons just in time. It appears they were about to lose control and get 'dangerous'.
    I've no doubt they were plotting an attack the whole time they were hiding in the storage shed.

Yeah gotta watch out for those evil machine guns and their crazy uncle C4.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty
    What's that lawyer talk for,My client was ready for armaggedon.I believe that's usually the type of person that goes off and starts slaughtering victims at will for no apparent reason except maybe his toast was too crisp,I cannot believe he only got 4 years for that amount of weapons,especially if they were stolen from the government
    preparedness equals mass murderer, eh? The guy was preparing for something that never materialized, but that doesn't make him a killer. That's exactly the same line of thinking as "people who own (*insert handguns, EBR's, any firearm*) are all ticking time bombs.

You'd think he would have chosen better cache locations though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post

That's probably why they were hiding . . .
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    preparedness equals mass murderer, eh? The guy was preparing for something that never materialized, but that doesn't make him a killer. That's exactly the same line of thinking as "people who own (*insert handguns, EBR's, any firearm*) are all ticking time bombs.

You'd think he would have chosen better cache locations though.
    With all respect, preparedness! What could you possibly believe he was preparing for?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links