Secret word for kids (to verify source)

This is a discussion on Secret word for kids (to verify source) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posts about a couple's "secret word" (meaning "Get out of Dodge!" or the like) reminded me of something our family used... and still would if ...

Thread: Secret word for kids (to verify source)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Secret word for kids (to verify source)

Posts about a couple's "secret word" (meaning "Get out of Dodge!" or the like) reminded me of something our family used... and still would if the situation presented itself:

We might someday need to send someone to my daughter to pick her up or deliver a critical message. Before going with them (or believing the message was from us), she would need to verify that we were indeed the source. To do this we have a special code word she must hear before she will believe the story is legit. Classic tales of abductions start with "Your parents have been hurt and they want me to bring you to them!"... but without the secret word she wouldn't buy it. (It's less of a concern now with her at 20 having Krav Maga and pistol training, but still...)

We picked a pair of words that would create a strong mental image so she could memorize them at a young age (for example, "ballerina cow" or "flying trashcan").

Might be useful for other parents, too.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

very cool and very smart....it's amazing sometimes what smart people can come up with to protect their own. That doesn't mean stupid people get abducted, just that some are smart enough to believe it could happen to their family.

VIP Member
    Good post... we have a lot of new parents on this board...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Haven't come up with one for my kids. I like what you described tho'.

I'll have to work on something.

VIP Member
    Excellent idea although I don’t have any children, that I know of, it reminds of the authentication codes we used when flying special missions. If the codes do not match the message is bogus and not to be trusted. Just be sure to use a word or phrase that would not come up in normal conversation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Way back many many moons ago (when I was about 5) my parents and I had a code word. They sent a friend (who I hadn't met) to pick me up after school, I made her tell me the code word before leaving with her.

Worked pretty well; I plan on doing that if I can ever get this having kids thing to work.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

One "KEY" is making the phrase or word... something no one could guess, and never letting "anyone" know what it is. There are cases where close family friends knew the word or phrase, and abducted and raped their kid.

Never ever share the info with anyone else, no matter how well you think you know them.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I have my doubts that secret words will be repeated accurately, but at least it fails to a safer situation.

The reason for this is that back when I worked loan servicing, I'd try to route people to who they needed to talk to for something I could not handle. I'd tell them "You have to say this exact thing or you will end up back here, and I cannot help you."

Most of them ended up back with me. I'd ask if they said what I told them, and they'd say "No, I said _____. What does it matter, it means the same thing!" One ended up back with me six times. I have no idea if he quit because he was tired of me "refusing" to help him, or if he finally grew a brain.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Wow this brings back a memory. One day in 1st grade there was a call over the class intercom that my neighbor John was to pick me up. I was curious because I didn't know I had a neighbor John. I went down to the office and asked the man what the password was, he said my parents hadn't given him one. I said well, then I'll wait until they can pick me up.

Good thing we established the password system because my parents hadn't asked him to pick me up... he got into some serious trouble as I recall.

The only reason this worked was because my parents drilled into my head over and over that if they wern't there to pick me up the person had better well know the password, which i remember to this day: "Peanut butter and banana sandwiches".
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Wouldn't have been a great password for me: I *love* peanut butter and banana sandwiches! Try them: pb on both pieces of bread, slices of banana between. Lengthwise works better (disks fall out, and for goodness' sake make just one layer). Serve with a large glass of cold milk.

Good for your parents - and for you!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Wouldn't have been a great password for me: I *love* peanut butter and banana sandwiches! Try them: pb on both pieces of bread, slices of banana between. Lengthwise works better (disks fall out, and for goodness' sake make just one layer). Serve with a large glass of cold milk.

Good for your parents - and for you!
    Every night after my dad and I would go for a run we split a PB and Banana sandwich, that's why I remember it to this day they are so good.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Links