Computer virus on Gunslinger site?

This is a discussion on Computer virus on Gunslinger site? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guys, forgive me if this is in the wrong section (OT yes, humor, no!). I found this store here on DC in the first place. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer virus on Gunslinger site?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar

Computer virus on Gunslinger site?

Guys, forgive me if this is in the wrong section (OT yes, humor, no!). I found this store here on DC in the first place. Really liked their web site. Gunslinger (migunslinger.com). They're a (semi) local gun dealer dealing in high end 1911's mostly. Tried to log onto their website recently, and keep getting a virus warning from my anti-virus software.

Particulars: I'm running Vista Home Premeium, using the latest Firefox for a browser (tried with IE, same result). Anti Virus is the free Avast program (has seemed to be very good). Says the majority of site traffic reports zero problems.

Message says there is a Trojan Horse there, with message migunslingers.com contains a sample of HTTP:IFrame-IF[Trj]'!

I've called and spoke to with the owner, he has been getting a few calls recently from people getting this message (others have been running AVG he recalls).

He's looking to see if he's added anything that could be the culprit, but I'm wondering if it could be a false positive? Anyone have any thoughts/advice on this one?

TIA!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I'd proceed with caution. My father in law got a nasty computer virus after he got the bug to research guns on the internet. He knows for sure he got it while going to various gun sites. Not sure what site.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It could be that the web site is trying to attach either tracking cookies or malware to you computer.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I typed migunslinger into my browser and got "Page not Found" A domain name search for migunslinger dot com says it's an available domain name.

Gunslinger dot com is taken and is registered to:

Gunslinger Productions
    Route 1, Box 48
    South Coffeyville, OK 74072
    US

Domain Name: GUNSLINGER.COM
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

It sounds like you've encountered an attempted Drive By Download (not kidding, it's actually called that). Now a days, malicious programs can be installed and ran from your machine without you ever having to click a button or open an attachment.

Notifying the owner or website administrator was a good thing. However (comma) you have now been exposed to a malicious program (could be others the AV didn't catch) and the damage is done, so to speak. Avast is a very good AV, and the fact that it is FREE makes it that much better. But the fact is it may not catch ALL of the current viruses out there. A good suggestion is to scan your box with more than one AV. Run your updates on Avast and scan. Then try a free online AV scanner, such as Kaspersky Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab. Scan you box a second time. Hopefully any signatures Avast missed, Kaspersky will pick up. Note: Just because it's free, does NOT mean Avast is bad, or lacking in some way. It is just the nature of the AV business. If you have a paid subscription, such as Norton, you would encounter the same thing.
    Also, just a suggestion but are you running UAC in Vista? Although having to click OK to confirm every single thing on your computer can be a chore, UAC makes your machine that much more resilient to malicious programs. I don't want to say bulletproof, as there are ways of getting around UAC (which I will not mention here). The downside is that you will get into the habit of pressing OK, and that will defeat the purpose of UAC.

If you want my .02 cents, scan your machine with AT LEAST 2 different antivirus programs. If the prognosis comes clean, run Windows Update, and run any updates for any other critical applications. Update your AV and scan often (it is up to you how much), and use a firewall. The last thing you want is your machine to turn into somekind of zombie for a DDoS attack (not kidding about this either).

Good luck

Dude, seriously, just get Ubuntu Linux>> That crud will be a distant memory!!

You know when Google has a site with the flag of Reported Attack Site? I am safe. Windows stuff just can't affect me!!!

As a matter of fact, my Linux Anti-Virus will tell em when a doc or email is infected with a Windows virus and I can notify the sender.
    The best part? Ubuntu is Open Source, i.e. FREE and it has global support with hundreds of people working on it to keep it totally updated and safe.

Edit, even if you have an older machine, you can use Ubuntu 8.10 and it will still be supported till 2011! I had an OLDE pc and it ran great!!! It has hundreds of free apps and programs and I am in love with it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can assist and if I can't www.ubuntuforums.org can, usually very fast!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

New script outstrips all other drive-by download risks ? The Register

New script outstrips all other drive-by download risks

* Track this topic
    * Print story

Major malicious domo

By John Leyden • Get more from this author

Posted in Security, 15th May 2009 13:03 GMT

Free whitepaper – Avoiding 7 common mistakes of IT security compliance

A newly-created malicious script has become the source of almost half the drive-by download attacks tracked by one security firm.

JSRedir-R accounts for around 43 per cent of all malicious infections found on websites over the last week, according to a study by net security firm Sophos, published on Thursday. The malware crops up with almost six times the frequency of its nearest rival, iFrame-F (which is recorded in seven per cent of attacks).

The JSRedir-R script is typically found on legitimate websites, hidden behind obfuscated JavaScript, and used to exploit browser vulnerabilities to download malware onto the Windows PCs of visiting surfers via third-party websites under the control of hackers. The malicious script has also cropped up on the 2 Girls 1 Cup scat video viral website.

A chart from Sophos on the relative frequency of different web-based attacks can be found here. More pointers on how the JSRedir-R attack works, and how webmasters might guard against it, can be found here. ®

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher
    I typed migunslinger into my browser and got "Page not Found" A domain name search for migunslinger dot com says it's an available domain name.

Gunslinger dot com is taken and is registered to:

Gunslinger Productions
    Route 1, Box 48
    South Coffeyville, OK 74072
    US

Domain Name: GUNSLINGER.COM
    Sorry, my bad. There is an s at the end, it's migunslingers.com (safe now according to my AV program, seems whatever he removed took care of the problem!).

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    It sounds like you've encountered an attempted Drive By Download (not kidding, it's actually called that). Now a days, malicious programs can be installed and ran from your machine without you ever having to click a button or open an attachment.

Notifying the owner or website administrator was a good thing. However (comma) you have now been exposed to a malicious program (could be others the AV didn't catch) and the damage is done, so to speak. Avast is a very good AV, and the fact that it is FREE makes it that much better. But the fact is it may not catch ALL of the current viruses out there. A good suggestion is to scan your box with more than one AV. Run your updates on Avast and scan. Then try a free online AV scanner, such as Kaspersky Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab. Scan you box a second time. Hopefully any signatures Avast missed, Kaspersky will pick up. Note: Just because it's free, does NOT mean Avast is bad, or lacking in some way. It is just the nature of the AV business. If you have a paid subscription, such as Norton, you would encounter the same thing.
    Also, just a suggestion but are you running UAC in Vista? Although having to click OK to confirm every single thing on your computer can be a chore, UAC makes your machine that much more resilient to malicious programs. I don't want to say bulletproof, as there are ways of getting around UAC (which I will not mention here). The downside is that you will get into the habit of pressing OK, and that will defeat the purpose of UAC.

If you want my .02 cents, scan your machine with AT LEAST 2 different antivirus programs. If the prognosis comes clean, run Windows Update, and run any updates for any other critical applications. Update your AV and scan often (it is up to you how much), and use a firewall. The last thing you want is your machine to turn into somekind of zombie for a DDoS attack (not kidding about this either).

Good luck
    Thanks, but I'm not so sure the damage is done. Avast interrupts the connection when it detects this with a prompt asking if I wish to abort the connection, which I did. I do run multiple AV programs, (AVG) and will also try the scan you suggest (Thanks~!).

You know when Google has a site with the flag of Reported Attack Site? I am safe. Windows stuff just can't affect me!!!

As a matter of fact, my Linux Anti-Virus will tell em when a doc or email is infected with a Windows virus and I can notify the sender.
    The best part? Ubuntu is Open Source, i.e. FREE and it has global support with hundreds of people working on it to keep it totally updated and safe.

Edit, even if you have an older machine, you can use Ubuntu 8.10 and it will still be supported till 2011! I had an OLDE pc and it ran great!!! It has hundreds of free apps and programs and I am in love with it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can assist and if I can't Ubuntu Forums can, usually very fast!!!
    Well, thanks! Since you're unaffected, I was going to ask you to visit the site as well, and see what you found. But the site administrator I spoke too yesterday removed some recent additions to the site, seems to have cleared the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, seems the problem is fixed now.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    +1 for Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter).

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Edit, even if you have an older machine, you can use Ubuntu 8.10 and it will still be supported till 2011!
    8.10 isn't an LTS (long term support) version; did you mean 8.04?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    8.10 isn't an LTS (long term support) version; did you mean 8.04?
    Yes, thanks for the correction!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Yup, try Ubuntu.

There's variations that will run on very old machines, but you need to dig through the site to find where they are and to get the instructions. (Sort of dumb, when you consider what Ubuntu is supposed to be for, the old machine stuff should be out in front, right along with OS for the newer machines.)

This is the easiest of them to find:

Xubuntu | Ubuntu

Go with the "Alternate install CD" if you have 128Mb or less. (Edit: It can be installed with less, but requires a minimum of 128 to run. Recommended minimum is 192. Oops, sorry.)

(sigh, re-edit):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems

Another alternative is PC-BSD.
    Last edited by Phillep Harding; August 19th, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    (Sort of dumb, when you consider what Ubuntu is supposed to be for, ....)
    Human beings?

If you're suggesting the purpose of Ubuntu is to run on less powerful hardware, I disagree.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Holey thread drift, Bataman!

My OP was an effort to find out if the AV program was perhaps reading a "false positive", or if anyone was familiar with this particular Trj Hse. But ultimately, I wasn't concerned about protecting my computer so much as helping the subject site (a small high end firearms dealer who is an asset to the community) to rid his site of such a problem, thus protecting him and many others who might visit his site (sorry, I don't think they'll all read this or switch to Ubuntu ), but thanks for the suggestion.

End of story, the site appears safe again. The owner removed some recently added content that included pics, I suspect the TH was embedded in them.
    Regards, T Bone.

Actually if more people used Linux, we would have a lot less of this in the first place.

I think those with websites should use a version of Linux as it would prevent all of this malicious software in the first place. Be that as it may, I am glad he got his site worked out. If nothing else this has been good for getting his name to more people!!!

Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links