Vicks return to football +/-

This is a discussion on Vicks return to football +/- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Horrible what he did. He did serve his time not to mention all the money and respect he lost. If he can do good things ...

View Poll Results: Do you think Michael Vick should be allowed to return to professional football?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 35.79%
  • No

31 32.63%
  • No, He should be thied to a stake and ravaged by a pack of wild dogs.

30 31.58%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vicks return to football +/-

Horrible what he did. He did serve his time
    not to mention all the money and respect he lost.
    If he can do good things by learning from his mistakes
    and truly realizes what he did was wrong then let him play.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Philly made an investment with Vick, and a darn brilliant one if I say so myself. They've got Vick for 2 years which does multiple things for Philly. The 1st is that it will hopefully light a fire under McNabb's rear and get him back into playing like he used to now there is some competition for his spot. Second, even if they don't play Vick, by holding onto him and showing the rest of the NFL that the guy is capable of staying out of trouble his value will increase to the rest of the NFL making him a valuable bargaining chip once the draft/trade time rolls around because they will surely be able to get more than they paid for him. Vick is one of the best QB's of all time, it's a shame that he chose to engage in illegal behavior.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Vick is one of the best QB's of all time
    I wouldn’t say that. Not even close.

He may be one of the best athletes to ever play the position (i.e. the most athletic), but that doesn’t make him one of the best QBs. He may be the best running QB ever, and has great arm strength, but there are a lot better passers, and a lot better at leading and running the offense.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    The difference is what Mike Tyson did was in the ring, but what Vick did was not on the field. Banning players because what they did while taking part in the sport or related activities (gambling on the game, steroids, etc) is different than banning them due to crimes and moral failings outside of the game.

Iím not saying that the league should not be able to punish him or ban him for a period of time, but the two cases are different.
    There is another difference, Holyfield chose to step into the ring with an animal and was rewarded for doing so. The animals did not choose to endure cruelty at the hands of Vick and we all know their reward.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If Vick wasn't a famous football player where do you
    think he would be right now?

Money and fame can get you out of a lot of things.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    illegal behavior
    That's the same as Jay walking. Vick murdered dogs because they wouldn't fight or were injured because of what he trained them to do.
    Two years in prison wasn't anything compaired to what he did.
    He deserves the same fate of the many lives he took.

Just my .02

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    There is another difference, Holyfield chose to step into the ring with an animal and was rewarded for doing so. The animals did not choose to endure cruelty at the hands of Vick and we all know their reward.
    I'm not defending what Vick did at all. My point was there is a difference between a crime outside of the game, and a crime in the game, and who is responsible for the punishment. If you want to be mad at anyone about Vickís treatment, it would be better directed at the justice system than the NFL.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    If Vick wasn't a famous football player where do you
    think he would be right now?

Money and fame can get you out of a lot of things.
    You mean like OJ Simpson? It worked for him until he was broke. Michael Vick's Wikepedia profile page is longer than OJ Simpson's.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I'm not defending what Vick did at all. My point was there is a difference between a crime outside of the game, and a crime in the game, and who is responsible for the punishment. If you want to be mad at anyone about Vickís treatment, it would be better directed at the justice system than the NFL.
    I am not attacking what you said, just pointing out the difference that comes to my mind.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I can go either way on this one.
    He did his time, now let him earn a living like he knows how to.
    But... if the league is all about image now, like the commissioner keeps saying, then he would be gone. And I do not believe in all these suspensions they keep handing out when someone has already made it through the legal system. It's like law on top of law. And that just doesn't seem right to me.
    And a kid's role model should be his parents, not some celebrity. This would be the perfect opportunity to teach them that.

JMO
    Many a businesses have morality clause so they don't harm their "brand" so, no it is not law on top of law it's business. I, like Rugergirl, will vote with my coin. That's coin that will NOT go to the NFL.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Vick is a thug. The only reason he plead guilty was for a lighter sentence and hopes that the NFL would allow him back. I believe his apology and remorse talk as much as I believe Charles Manson is a choir boy who was wrongfully convicted.

jbs
    When there's money to be made...

Dick’s holding line on Vick’s jerseys | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/19/2009

I really don't like the Jersey for dogs that can be customized with number 7
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Look at my Avatar. Let the dogs have at him. Now if he was letting chickens fight that's a different story.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'm sorry if this seems harsh.

I think he should be banned for life. What kind of role model was he for kids?

There is no place for him in pro sports.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

DM2
    Wow, this is a hard one for me. While I am aware of his actions, I did not follow the story or the case. I did see the interview this weekend and I didn't feel like he was sincere with his apology or showed any remorse for what he did. What I did get is the feeling that he was annoyed to be doing the interview and having to respond to the public for what he did. Maybe it was embarrassment...I don't know for sure.

That being said, I do believe in forgiveness and giving people the opportunity to let their actions speak. If he is truly sorry, his actions will speak much louder than his words on the field and off. By his own admission, he was lazy and more interested in the "celebrity" life more than being a dedicated team player. I would expect his behavior and lifestyle to change if he is sincere. If he proves he's learned his lesson, then allowing him to play will ultimately prove to be a good decision. If not, it will only be a matter of time before his true colors show again. But we will never know if he is not given a chance. Based on this, I am voting yes, but with reservation.

Finally, people who think celebrities and athletes or anyone for that matter, qualify to be role-models just because of their abilities are in for a rude awakening. Role models should first demonstrate a consistent level of discipline, integrity, and morals that are in line with what's already being taught in the home (and that will vary from one person to the next). Athletic and entertaining ability should not be qualifying factors. That doesn't mean that a role model won't make mistakes, but there has to be something said for the many responsible people who live with integrity, work hard to earn an honest living, and who do what is in their power to help others in need.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links