Vicks return to football +/- - Page 4

Vicks return to football +/-

This is a discussion on Vicks return to football +/- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The NFL has disgraced itself..i have no interest in football because of this!!...

View Poll Results: Do you think Michael Vick should be allowed to return to professional football?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 35.79%
  • No

31 32.63%
  • No, He should be thied to a stake and ravaged by a pack of wild dogs.

30 31.58%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vicks return to football +/-

The NFL has disgraced itself..i have no interest in football because of this!!

The media always talks about the
    athletes letting the kids down.
    I dont think kids that look up to Vick
    as a role model are going to say
    or think to themselves: Vick made dogs fight and
    tortured them so I am too. More parents
    need to be better role models to their kids in their
    own homes anyway instead of worrying about the
    athletes on tv letting their kids down.
    I have been a pet owner my whole life and
    was outraged when the news came out about
    what Vick did to those dogs but I am sure the
    past several years has been a living nightmare
    for him. People do deserve second chances in life
    if truly humble and sorry for their actions. Is Vick sorry
    for his actions? I dont know but I am not God either.
    I say let the man go on with his life.

Vick who? If not for his ability to toss a ball, he's just another schmo.

He did a crime, for which he did some time. Apparently, he's at least contrite, if not downright concerned over what he did. Great. If the time for the crime wasn't enough, then the time should have been boosted. But, when done ... it's done.

If someone wants to hire him, fine. Barring him from an entire field of endeavor because it happens to suit some to permanently punish him seems petty and mean, to me. It's one thing when the schmuck is in public service (or law service, or accounting [CPA] service), since we cannot have inveterate liars and cheats in a position of public trust. But this particular person is just another average person with a job in a career he's attempting to resurrect from ashes because of his own deeds. To the extent I care at all about this person's situation, I'm of the opinion the market should determine whether he's got any value ... just as with anyone else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted no plain and simple. A lot of other people I know would do the same. However, what bugs me about the whole deal is that some players get extra special treatment, while others just get slapped on the wrist and it's "ok".

Example : Pete Rose. Banned from baseball and the Hall of Fame for life. Why? Gambling. Ohhhhhhhhhh......that's really bad, we need to ban him for it. Vick kills dogs, goes to jail for a few months and is graciously allowed to return to his sport. What's wrong with this picture?

I say ban the SOB from all sporting activities for life, just like they have done to Rose. The NFL will be better off if they would have the cojones to do so.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. We can go back to our regularly scheduled posts!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Example : Pete Rose. Banned from baseball and the Hall of Fame for life. Why? Gambling. Ohhhhhhhhhh......that's really bad, we need to ban him for it. Vick kills dogs, goes to jail for a few months and is graciously allowed to return to his sport. What's wrong with this picture?
    It’s because Pete Rose messed with the fabric of the game. His actions were a crime against the sport (possibly affecting the outcome of the game for gambling purposes), so the sport punished him. Vick’s crimes had nothing to do with the sport (other than hurting the NFL’s reputation).

I’m in no way saying that Rose’s crimes were worse than Vick’s. But it comes down to who is responsible for punishment. In Rose’s case, he broke major league rules, while at best only violating minor criminal laws. Hence, his punishment in the game was far worse than any criminal punishment.

Vick’s case was the opposite. He violated major criminal laws, while his only crime to the game was hurting the NFL’s reputation. Hence, his punishment comes more from the justice system than the league.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    The NFL has disgraced itself..i have no interest in football because of this!!
    I hate to tell you, but the NFL disgraced itself long before the Vick issue. If not for their status as professional athletes, many players would be serving long prison sentences for rape, murder, drugs, etc. I'm not defending what Vick did, I love dogs, but if not for the huge amount of media coverage he would be no different then the other criminals that play in the NFL.
    "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien

I have mixed feelings, but I voted yes. I think that anyone who commits a crime should be banned. However, there are quite a few NFL players as well as those in other sports as well as some college players who have committed felonies and are still allowed to play. As long as these others are allowed to play, Vick should be allowed also. Personally, I feel that none of them should be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    I have mixed feelings, but I voted yes. I think that anyone who commits a crime should be banned. However, there are quite a few NFL players as well as those in other sports as well as some college players who have committed felonies and are still allowed to play. As long as these others are allowed to play, Vick should be allowed also. Personally, I feel that none of them should be playing.
    I wouldn't care if they had to strip all the teams down to new people playing. If you do something illegal, Immoral or anything unbecoming you should be banned.

These people get paid millions to play a game! And should be held accountable for actions and behavior on and off the fields.

JMHO!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Since there are other felons in the league, I don't see how they can keep Vick out. He did his time. Whether or not he did enough time is the justice systems fault. I would have a better opinion of the league if the kept out all of the felons. I hope Vick has learned his lesson and has changed. He can be a much more valuable role model for having paid his price and turning his life around than he could have before.

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post

Finally, people who think celebrities and athletes or anyone for that matter, qualify to be role-models just because of their abilities are in for a rude awakening.
    I don't think they qualify, but the problem is because of the warped sense of values we have devolved to these people, good and bad, are by definition role models in that a good many of the youth look up to and try to emulate them. Oh and it's a cottage industry that take millions, cause muggings etc..Jersey's, shoes, hats, "bling", etc...

OMOYMMV
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links