A little nervous...officially applying to Seminary

This is a discussion on A little nervous...officially applying to Seminary within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So after struggling with my heart about trying to pursue law enforcement or full time ministry...I have chosen ministry. I am nearly complete with my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little nervous...officially applying to Seminary

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

A little nervous...officially applying to Seminary

So after struggling with my heart about trying to pursue law enforcement or full time ministry...I have chosen ministry. I am nearly complete with my application paperwork for the Denver Seminary to start a Master's in Theology. I have to wrangle up 4 reference letters (1 being pastoral), a church endorsement, a statement of faith, an essay about my spiritual journey and official college transcripts.

The goal is to start in the fall session, so we're cutting it a little close, but I'm just waiting for a couple reference letters and the packet will be complete.

If you're the prayin sort, would you mind shooting one up for my admission into the program?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Will be praying for you. I've been pastoring the same church for the last 25 years. Seminary is great. I graduated with a masters in Theology. Finished my post graduate work for the Doctorate just haven't completed my thesis. Hard to find the time.
    The rewards certainly out weigh the trials.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Have you though about the Universal Life Church,about 5 minutes online and you can become a reverend in the church and with a small donation can become a member in good standing.I'm just saying if you need a backup plan.

Good luck I'm sure you didn't reach your decision without a lot of thought
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yeah!

I finished my Masters in Theology about 3 years ago. It was a great experience.

I'll be praying that the right doors open for you!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

You will still be in law enforcement, just a higher set of laws.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I'd be glad to send one up for you.

On another note....if you have an interest in law enforcement....sometime down the road, when things have settled down for you and your on your way; you might consider checking into wherever it is that you have settled and see if there is any Reserve or Auxiliary possibilities. It is a very rewarding way to be involved in a small way, for those that didn't go the path of full-time LEO, but have an interest.

Take care.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Prayers sent, good luck and God Bless.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    PCON:

Although it was more than a few years ago (I went to Seminary 1976-80), I thouroughly enjoyed Seminary (well, the Greek and Hebrew classes were not so "fun" but still rewarding). To study His Word and all that goes along with being a good shepherd was truly rich and magnificient. I have never regretted my Call to ministry.

Like ImaShepherd said--there is always the Police reserve, or even the police chaplaincy. You might also consider the Army chaplaincy--another truly great calling--the opportunity to minister to soldiers and their families is a demanding but very meaningful and sacred service. If that sounds like something you might be interested in, do NOT go talk to an Army Recruiter--go to the US Army chief of chaplains website and follow their links to the chaplain recruting site. (or drop me a PM and we can chat about it)

Blessings,

Scott

PCON,
    It's men and women like you that reassures me there is hope
    for our country.
    Prayers sent up for you, God bless and good luck.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    You will still be in law enforcement, just a higher set of laws.

and

to you, too, pcon
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Hey, good to hear! Seminary was one of the hardest things I've ever done -- but also one of the most rewarding. Just remember to fill each day with prayer, and never let the academic emphasis eclipse the pastoral goal.

In other words: remember that Sunday's comin', & the sheep need to be fed!

RevDoug

Good for you... :-)

cmb
    congrats, it is definitely a calling! I did my undergrad at a Bible College and loved all my time available there to study and glean from some very intelligent and godly men. It is a great time. I have been in ministry for almost 9 years and pastoring fulltime for 2 and I love it. thouth I would do the MDIV and PHD thing but God called to a different route. Just wish there was two of me so I could do more. PM me anytime with any prayers or theology, philosophy, ethics, stuff I love academia just pursue it on my own. And I thought Greek was great! May God bless your efforts.

Prayin for ya. Good luck when you get to Greek and Latin classes, I hear they are a riot

Don't get burned out with all of your studies, remember to take time for your own personal time with God and your family.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Anyone that is considering or is in full time ministry or heavily involved in ministry NEEDs to read this book:

Amazon.com: The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church (9781587431647): Alan Hirsch, Leonard Sweet: Books

good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links