Another reason to store emergency supplies

This is a discussion on Another reason to store emergency supplies within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Never thought about this one.... Solar Storms Pose Increasing Threat to Modern World...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Never thought about this one....

Solar Storms Pose Increasing Threat to Modern World
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Living without electricity means no banking, no water, no food, no vehicle gas, no security lights, no comm, and limited emergency service among others. Cooking over the wood stove without refrigerator food. We have had a couple of ice storms and a tornado in the past few years that have taken the electricity off line for up to a week. A general EMP(electric magnetic pulse) means no surrounding states or countries have any of these things either.

This is a good read: http://www.green-trust.org/freebooks/Preparedness.pdf on the topic of preparedness. Our family is up to where we need to be re firearms and ammo. We have installed a good little backup wood heat system and obtained an inexpensive DC-AC converter for temporary water circulation. Next is the most difficult for me and that is drinking water. I am not sure how to inexpensively solve this problem, but will continue with milk jugs until something better comes to me. Everything we do in this regard is done without spending much money, except for the firearms and ammo. But of course, without preparation for personal security nothing else will be of use.

My guess is within three days of a major power outage, people would start going crazy and your most important thing you could have would be defense,.. I always recommend that people know who they can count on AND should something happen, group up,.. There is protection in numbers,.. The mind cannot comprehend how to live when everything you know is gone,. Very few people know how to survive without basic needs,.. Silly things like not taking a shower will cause peoples skin to crawl (does mine after two days camping) now take away heat, ac, running water, toilets, stove to cook on,... Then throw in the fact that people will not have food because the average person keeps a weeks worth the food and no extra water, and home invasions will go up,. No-one will be working so you'll see people getting shot and no-one can call the police,. Marshall law would be put in effect, so people could be fighting to keep weapons,. Not a good situation at all... I pray this never comes to our country,. .

Also, remember that you can drink from a pool if needed,. Keep bleach around for purifying the water.. At that point keep a close eye on your pets,. They may end up on your neighbors table,..

A good read is "One Second After", considers all these issues and more. The scenario is a manmade, nationwide EMP, instead of a solar storm, but same effects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    A good read is "One Second After", considers all these issues and more. The scenario is a manmade, nationwide EMP, instead of a solar storm, but same effects.
    Just finished reading this two nights ago, relly enjoyed it, gives one a lot to ponder.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Living without electricity means no banking, no water, no food, no vehicle gas, no security lights, no comm, and limited emergency service among others. Cooking over the wood stove without refrigerator food. We have had a couple of ice storms and a tornado in the past few years that have taken the electricity off line for up to a week. A general EMP(electric magnetic pulse) means no surrounding states or countries have any of these things either.

This is a good read: http://www.green-trust.org/freebooks/Preparedness.pdf on the topic of preparedness. Our family is up to where we need to be re firearms and ammo. We have installed a good little backup wood heat system and obtained an inexpensive DC-AC converter for temporary water circulation. Next is the most difficult for me and that is drinking water. I am not sure how to inexpensively solve this problem, but will continue with milk jugs until something better comes to me. Everything we do in this regard is done without spending much money, except for the firearms and ammo. But of course, without preparation for personal security nothing else will be of use.
    I live in a hurricane prone area so I keep some of these on hand, they have a 5 year shelf life (Case of 100 Mayday Pouch Water w/ 1.5 Liter Drinking Container), I also have a container that is similar to this one with a filter, the opagueness keeps the water from "going bad" (5 Gallon Sampson Stacker, Vent, Blue Water Jug), they also have 55 gallon versions of these. Another solution would be to set a means to collect rain water, a cistern of sorts for filtering into drinking water and using for bathing, and flushing toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post

In that show the colony they captured rain water or water from the city drain system ,then made a sand/charcoal water filter out of like a 20 gallon container,for drinking water they boiled the filtered water,for washing clothes/bath water they just used the filtered water.

I started watching that show for a laugh,but they have shown some huge ingenious ways to get electricity ,gas from burning wood to run a generator etc.etc.I watch it every week now,they hooked up scavenged solar panels to recharge batteries that give them unlimited electriciity like 2 kw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In that show the colony they captured rain water or water from the city drain system ,then made a sand/charcoal water filter out of like a 20 gallon container,for drinking water they boiled the filtered water,for washing clothes/bath water they just used the filtered water.

I started watching that show for a laugh,but they have shown some huge ingenious ways to get electricity ,gas from burning wood to run a generator etc.etc.I watch it every week now,they hooked up scavenged solar panels to recharge batteries that give them unlimited electriciity like 2 kw
    Thats why I try to watch that show. It really is impressive how they have filtered water, made electricity, etc.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

The biggest thing for me to adjust to would be no air conditioning. I really hate the heat.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The electronic ignition is the weak part for most modern motors. Easy enough, if a little expensive, to get a spare for what ever you want to use after that sort of thing happened.

Put them in an ammo can or cookie tin or something like that. Make sure the can is lined with something that does not conduct electricity because anything that conducts and touches the inside will act like an antenna and let the EMP in.

I've considered stashing my old mobo, the cards that went with it, a power supply, and some Linux discs in a can; the mobo is too old to give away but still has a lot of life left in it. Heck, there's a lot of laptops that still work just fine that no one wants any more. Pick one that uses 12VDC /off the battery/ and you can run it off a lead acid battery (the DC in is usually 15V). Get a two cell holder from Radio Shack and you can use that for the bios battery when that dies.

I've used Coleman stoves for my home cooking off and on for 30 years. Get one that runs both leaded and unleaded, if you can find it (might have to go to eBay), or get an MSR that can burn kerosene/diesel. Get spare parts.

Need to store more than just food.

Not to mention any meds and things like first aid supplies etc. I also recommend learning which plants are medicinal, edible etc.
    Heck, I bet a lot of them you could grow and have on hand, even in a city. As I live in the sticks (ish) I am learning which are which.

This thread reminds me of the movie Knowing. It follows many predictions, religions etc in one manner or another.

That's the thing about life. It is a sexually transmitted disease that is always fatal!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Ok, I just looked this up and it seems the most recent estimate is for the next solar max, around May 2013, to be below average in instensity

Solar Cycle Progression and Prediction

So, nothing to worry about (famous last words). Carry on.

Two of the best resources you can have (without people thinking you are a survivalist) are a Boy Scout handbook and American Red Cross Advanced First Aid book. They might not keep you in total comfort, but they will show you what you need to stay alive.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Water is a necessity. Go to any camping store. You'll find many options for purifying water.

I know this might not apply in a EMP, but one day I hope to have a full house stand by generator with a couple thousand gal. propene tank buried in the yard.

After 9/11 I slowly started stocking up on "supplies". My wife thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't mind have the extra toilet paper around.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links