Fisherman dies from infection

This is a discussion on Fisherman dies from infection within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Baytown man has died from illness caused by exposure to a rare pathogen often referred to as flesh-eating bacteria. Thomas Jesse Shurley, 52, died ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisherman dies from infection

A Baytown man has died from illness caused by exposure to a rare pathogen often referred to as flesh-eating bacteria.

Thomas Jesse Shurley, 52, died Tuesday night of multiple organ failure following a three-week battle against the infection. He had suffered a scrape on his knee while fishing in Galveston Bay on July 26, family members said. The bacteria, most often encountered in seawater, rapidly spread throughout his body, and even the amputation of his leg could not stop it.

“It's really a shock to the entire family,” said his daughter, Shaunte Angelo. “He was young and full of life. We never saw this coming.”

The incident occurred when Shurley was fishing alone close to shore in a small jon boat. The boat tipped over and he scraped his left knee while righting it. Shurley felt sick the next day but thought little of it. By Tuesday evening, his knee was so swollen and he felt so bad that friends took him to Baytown Methodist Hospital, fearing he had broken it.

“The doctors ran some tests and figured out what it was,” Angelo said. “They asked him if he wanted to lose his leg or his life. Of course, he chose his leg.”

The next day Shurley was taken by Life Flight to St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in the Texas Medical Center. He was placed on a ventilator and never regained full consciousness, his daughter said. Infected tissue was surgically removed, and later most of his leg. But there was little hope once the infection spread through his blood and most of his organs, she said.

He was taken off life support at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday and died about five hours later.

“If he had gone to the hospital Monday morning, the day after he hurt his knee, he might have been fine,” Angelo said. “But who would have thought to do that for a scrape?”

The medical name for Shurley's illness is necrotizing fasciitis. It is caused by several kinds of bacteria, the most common of which is Streptococcus pyogenes, the same thing that causes strep throat and impetigo. Another bacterium sometimes involved — as in Shurley's case — is Vibrio vulnificus.

Such infections, often mild, can become life-threatening for people with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes or hepatitis. Shurley suffered from hepatitis C, Angelo said.

Shurley was a sales manager at Gyro Chemical and Equipment Company in Deer Park, which specializes in industrial cleaning supplies.
    Wow I never realised there was that kinda bacteris around there
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You never know do you? I had a friend who got a bad infection after scraping his leg on his four wheeler foot peg. It was Strep as well. Took him the better part of a year to completely heal and a lot of doctor visits. Strep is some wicked stuff.
    Wife and I went out to survey ten acres the other day and I've got some wounds from barbed wire fencing. Can't let some things stop you from doing what you love to do. Best to keep ourselves healthy in every way. But the risk is always there.

A friend of mine, in the top of health and physical shape, died of an "unknown virus". They never could identify it in the hospital... it was unknown. Another woman there died of an unknown virus as well.

They even had the funeral home wear bio-suits when handling him.

Administrator
    There have been a few cases that I know of personally.
    One woman here got it when she was jabbed by a thorn in her backyard.
    One was a co-worker that worked with my Wife.
    He got it from a tiny puncture wound in his leg from a football shoe.
    He barely survived.
    They filleted his entire leg open and left it exposed to the air after they surgically stripped off his under-flesh.
    One other case happened just North of my area.
    I don't remember the details on that one. I'm sure there have been others.

TREAT all minor cuts and wounds as soon as possible.
    Make all puncture wounds bleed.

+1 on taking proper care of all wounds. I nearly lost a finger to strep in my younger years. It's not fun stuff.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Great ... and I thought fishing was one of the safest things I did.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    I used to get cut up and chopped up and just leave them all alone since I always just healed up fast.
    Seeing pics of that leg on that guy my Wife worked with changed that. NASTY stuff from such a tiny puncture.

Go to Google - Click the option to Search Google by Images - type in Flesh Eating Bacteria and just take a look at some of those thumbnail photos that pop up.

That should make you want to take some Alcohol Swabs and some Neosporin with you on your next fishing trip.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Animal Planet has been running a series called “Monsters Inside Me”; last weeks show included that same necrotizing fasciitis, very wicked stuff. They also show many of the other parasites out there and how they affect people, never had an idea there were so many.

Monsters Inside Me : Parasites, Parasitic Infection : Animal Planet
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I knew him. I had met him at one of my wife's company picnics. Her wife and my wife work for the same company. She called me this morning to tell me about him dying. Sad, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    I knew him. I had met him at one of my wife's company picnics. Her wife and my wife work for the same company. She called me this morning to tell me about him dying. Sad, very sad.
    Sorry JJ It's amazing how fast something can take somebodys life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Just saw this bit on the 10 o'clock news.. makes me not want to swim in Galveston (Not that it's such a great place anywho..)
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    My own experience.....About 4 months ago I noticed my lower left leg swelling around the ankle and turning very red. I initially thought I had twisted or sprained it. I tried to keep weight off it and used stuff like Deep Heat, trying to get it to heal. After a month or so I noticed no improvement, and in fact the ankle was becoming very immobile and the redness was spreading upward toward my knee.
    I checked the internet and the symptoms matched that of a blood clot. I finally went to the emergency room, where the ER doctor also thought it was a clot. He did however run tests and found it to be an infection. He asked why I waited so long to come in and I explained to him that I never saw the skin broken or any blood. I did remember one time putting on my shoe and slightly rubbing the back of my ankle enough for there to be minor pain.
    I was put on 2 types of extremely powerful antibiotics for 2 months which finally killed the infection.
    The end result was that the infection ate away a good portion of my left calf and I now walk with a limp. I'm also required to wear a knee high support stalking to help circulation. My doctor says I could have lost the leg.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I scraped my knee on Parris Island and got cellulitis. I was pretty sure I was going to be an amputee. Some nice antibiotics that turned my urine bright orange cleared it up though.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I gotta think about if the SHTF were all worried about food,water,ammo,defenses,but the fact that this type of infection and less than sanitary living conditions will be more acute and almost no way to get treatment will probably take out more people than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Wow I never realised there was that kinda bacteris around there
    Duk... Necrotizing fasciitis has been around for quite a while. By drawing a parallel comparison, just think of the numbers of folks out there who ccw but have no clue they do not know much about the legal pitfalls of a lethal force confrontation or how easily they can turn a non-lethal force confrontation into one because they didn't know any better.

Thank the lord for a place like this forum where people new to ccw can gain some of the knowledge of things they had no idea they were lacking.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links