Shepperd Scopes ... do they measure up?

This is a discussion on Shepperd Scopes ... do they measure up? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello all! I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a Shepperd scope for my Ruger 10/22. Apparently, these scopes made in Nebraska are fitted to ...

Hello all!
    I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a Shepperd scope for my Ruger 10/22. Apparently, these scopes made in Nebraska are fitted to the gun you order them for - ballistically speaking. They say you can zero in 2 shots at any range. Can anyone tell me if the price is worth what the scope is purported to be able to do? I love little .22 autoloaders, as a kid I weeded out many a Prairie Dog town in Nebraska and love taking .22 long shots at AZ JackRabbits 300+ yards down range. This scope was to have been invented with the American way and German way of building optics giving best of both worlds for sniping. Your pro/con comments would be greatly appreciated! (Hopefully I spelled Shepperd correctly - sorry guys).
    In the immortal words of Gunfighter Jack Wilson in SHANE, ...
    "Why don't we just get on with it and gun him?"

-Bad Lieutenant

Ive wondered this myself they do a lot of claiming but well proof is in pudding i guess and i wont spend that much to try it out ..lol

When I got my Springfield Armory SuperMatch tuned by ROBAR I put a Shepherd on it. When I made the purchase they wanted to know what specific load would be fired through it the majority of the time. I was ready with an answer: Federal Gold Match 168gr BTHP.

I spent over $500 on it over ten years ago. They promise a One Shot ZERO but I was unable to achieve that for two reasons:

First, I had a bipod attached and that made it difficult to use the clamp I needed to secure the rifle so it wouldn't move after shot#1. Remember, you fire a shot and then use the knobs on the side and top of the scope to reposition the crosshairs so that they move to cover the hole on the paper you just made. then you move the other set of knobs so that the entire reticle is back on the X-ring. Supposedly that's it.

Second, I found it diffuclt also because the knobs have no "click" adjustment, it's like focusing a pair of binoculars. Smooth like that. It makes it tough to "feel" anything.

Once I was able to get the thing zeroed, the shots stayed on target and the range estimator works well. I'd feel fairly confident taking a 600+ yard shot on a ummmmm "deer." The reticle is supposed to be the same diameter as the chest area on a deer which just by happenstance is the same as the chest area on the average adult human male. It's a good scope, but I don't know if I'd want to put it on a 22. I don't think you'll be able to take advantage of the capabilities for the range finder.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Here is the Shepherd website: http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

A friend of mine has one on a Remington Model 700 and really likes it. I don't think he's put enough rounds through it to judge how long-term tough it is.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

JT
    I'll stick with Leopold.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thumbs down Mil Dot Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I'll stick with Leopold.
    I'm not smart enough to figger out them lil mil dots! The Shepherd makes "holdover" a snap.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thanks all for the info! They are a bit pricey for a .22 LR, ... so what would you recommend that can handle the action of an autoloader?

-Bad Lieutenant

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lieutenant
    Thanks all for the info! They are a bit pricey for a .22 LR, ... so what would you recommend that can handle the action of an autoloader?
    A 22LR? Heck Bushnell or Burris make fine scopes and are very reasonable.

Senior Moderator
    The Sheppard works well. When you zero it, it needs to be in a rifle rest with a sand bag under the stock...its the only way it'll be steady enough to work. One its zero'ed, a bi pod will work fine or any steady rest will do.

A fridnd of mine had one mounted on a .30.06 Remington bolt action that we shot out at a cow pasture. He hadnt taken as shot past 300 yards and was doing well. A crow lit in the pasture and we guessed a bit over 500. He put his Sheppard on it and puffed it. No guessing or anything.
    It worked well enough for that.

.. continued thanks to all regarding the Sheppard scope.

-Bad Lieutenant

Links