South Carolina, Columbia and Charleston - Your Input Needed

This is a discussion on South Carolina, Columbia and Charleston - Your Input Needed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK Everyone. My Daughter will be graduating Boot Camp at Fort Jackson on Aug 28, We are flying down for Parents Day and Graduation Day. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina, Columbia and Charleston - Your Input Needed

South Carolina, Columbia and Charleston - Your Input Needed

OK Everyone.

My Daughter will be graduating Boot Camp at Fort Jackson on Aug 28, We are flying down for Parents Day and Graduation Day.

I am not a fan of chain restaurants, you can get them anywhere. I am looking for something that is very local.

So we will be in Columbia for 2 1/2 days, near Fort Jackson. Is there a local eating establishment that is a must do for out of town visitors ? Ones that the locals eat at and rave about ?.

Now For Charleston

Ok, For the next 3 1/2 days we then head over to Charleston. We will be staying at Meeting St and King ST in the historic district. I heard that is where the tourist spot is and the place to be. Any restaurants that I should go to as to get the flavor what the locals go to ?

I really do appropriate the input. With both cities, I do not want fine dining or spend a lot of money. Anything over $20.00 per person is getting to be costing much unless it is something you have to go if you are in either city.

Thanks

Marty
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

First off, congratulations on your daughters graduation from basic training (HOOAH!). Spent a lot of time on Ft. Jackson myself but never on a pleasure trip (Recruiting School and ANCOC).

In Charleston, I would highly recommend Hyman's Seafood. If you've never been to Charleston, you'll love it. Was stationed at the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek and never got tired of visiting Charleston and walking around. Lots of history and things to do...too many highlights to list. Don't forget to visit Patriots Point and the Naval Museum.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Back in 1985 the wife and I ate at 82 Queen in Charleston. If it is still as good as it was then, I would highly recommend it.

http://www.82queen.com/
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Back in 1985 the wife and I ate at 82 Queen in Charleston. If it is still as good as it was then, I would highly recommend it.

82 Queen Restaurant in Charleston South Carolina - Charleston, SC
    +1 for 82 Queen! It's a great setting with marvelous food. Don't miss the she-crab soup - one of the all-time great dishes in low-country cuisine. I love Charleston. And definitely take a carriage ride.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

82 Queens Street is muchly thirded here. Always good. However it is "fine dining" to a degree. But it is a must do really. Poogans Porch right down from it is very good too. Both those are on Queen Street which crosses from Meeting to King street.

In Columbia itself the must try is going to be the Lizard Thicket. At "meat and three" down home southern style place.

In Columbia, You may want to try California Dreaming. It is built in an old train station and makes for an interesting place to eat.

There are a few decent BBQ places as well, parts of SC have a mustard based BBQ sauce that is yellow and is very good.

As far as Charleston, you are in the thick of it. There are LOTS of good places to eat, it can be tough to do wrong down there.

In Columbia there is Maurice's BBQ if I remember correctly.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar11 View Post
    In Columbia there is Maurice's BBQ if I remember correctly.
    Maurice's is quite good. It is that Mustard based BBQ. They have several locations around Columbia.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

+4 for 82 Queen in Charleston! Wonderful food and service.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    OK Everyone.

My Daughter will be graduating Boot Camp at Fort Jackson on Aug 28, We are flying down for Parents Day and Graduation Day.

I am not a fan of chain restaurants, you can get them anywhere. I am looking for something that is very local.

So we will be in Columbia for 2 1/2 days, near Fort Jackson. Is there a local eating establishment that is a must do for out of town visitors ? Ones that the locals eat at and rave about ?.

Now For Charleston

Ok, For the next 3 1/2 days we then head over to Charleston. We will be staying at Meeting St and King ST in the historic district. I heard that is where the tourist spot is and the place to be. Any restaurants that I should go to as to get the flavor what the locals go to ?

I really do appropriate the input. With both cities, I do not want fine dining or spend a lot of money. Anything over $20.00 per person is getting to be costing much unless it is something you have to go if you are in either city.

Thanks

Marty
    Congratulations.

Charleston - the three that come to mind are Hyman's (go on a weekday if possible and try to eat around 2:00 - last time I did this I didn't have a problem. Two more are the Noisy Oyster on (I think) Meeting Street and the Shem Creek Bar and Grill (or something like that) on Shem Creek (on the way to Mt Pleasant). Both come highly recommended by my stomach (which anyone who has seen me will tell you knows a thing or two about food). All are a bit pricy but should come in under the $20.00/person (unless you order "adult beverages" at which point the price hits the roof REAL fast). The Boathouse is another good one but expensive. If I remember right it's on East Bay St.

Columbia - this is sad but I lived most of my life in Orangeburg (about an hour away between Charleston and Columbia) and cannot think of a single restaurant that I would say is a must try. Closest I can come is Sweatman's BBQ in Holly Hill.

All of these (except maybe Sweatman's) serve alcohol so, by state law, you cannot carry in them.

Don't know if they are still around but Columbia used to have some restaurants called the Lizards Thicket that served real good southern food.

Forgot about Southend Brewery and Smokehouse on East Bay Street. Great food, big portions, reasonable prices and great location. If you're not carrying, it's also a microbrewery with some great brews. I was just in Charleston in April and I'm ready to go back again.

Do they have a Redbone Alley anywhere but in Sumter? Thats near where I used to live. :)
    Libertas Vel Mors

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    OK Everyone.

Now For Charleston

Thanks

Marty
    Many years ago I went to Poogans Porch and to
    Patriots Point,
    Both were great but Poogans Porch may be priced a little
    high (over twenty dollers) but it was great steak.
    Poogans Porch is named after a dog that once sat on the
    front porch and has died and is now been buried out front.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar11 View Post
    Do they have a Redbone Alley anywhere but in Sumter? Thats near where I used to live. :)
    There is one in Florence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links