Military joke

This is a discussion on Military joke within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Heard this one from my MSgt the other day and thought it was pretty good. A man retires from the Marine Corps after 20 years ...

Thread: Military joke

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Military joke

Heard this one from my MSgt the other day and thought it was pretty good.

A man retires from the Marine Corps after 20 years of honorable service. He gets hired into a respectable job. His first day of work, he shows up an hour late. His boss notices, but says nothing about it, figuring something important must have kept him. The next day, he shows up 2 hours late. The boss again says nothing. This continues through the whole week, and on Friday, the boss finally decides he needs to say something. He pulls the retired Marine aside and says "You've been late every day this week. I know you're a retired Marine, and we'd expect your type to be early every day. What would they say to you in the Marine Corps if you showed up late every day like this?"

The retired Marine replies: "They'd say good morning, Top"
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Heard this one from my MSgt the other day and thought it was pretty good.

A man retires from the Marine Corps after 20 years of honorable service. He gets hired into a respectable job. His first day of work, he shows up an hour late. His boss notices, but says nothing about it, figuring something important must have kept him. The next day, he shows up 2 hours late. The boss again says nothing. This continues through the whole week, and on Friday, the boss finally decides he needs to say something. He pulls the retired Marine aside and says "You've been late every day this week. I know you're a retired Marine, and we'd expect your type to be early every day. What would they say to you in the Marine Corps if you showed up late every day like this?"

The retired Marine replies: "They'd say good morning, Top"

LOL.

That sounds more like a joke that a LCpl would tell!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think it was funny coming from him because he seriously does come in late every day...if he comes in at all.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Not a military type, could some one please explain that to me. I don't understand.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Top" is short for "Top Sargent". He is the guy who is actually in charge of the day by day running of the unit.

Smart officers don't mess with a good one; "good" being defined by results.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    That makes more sense. Thanks.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I'd never call a Master Sgt Top, but yeah I can definately see the truth in that
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Very true only my response would be, "Because I've worn the same uniform for 24 years, now I have figure out something different to wear everyday."

That was one of the first things I said to my wife before I retired. Still not used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Not a military type, could some one please explain that to me. I don't understand.
    A Master Sergeant designated as a First Sergeant has a diamond in the middle of the stripes. Looks like a top that you spin so hence the nickname. Marine and Army First Sergeant ranks look the same.

Heard a similar story...The retired First Sgt reported for work the first day on time for his new civilian job..Next day and every day thereafter he showed up hour late. Boss asked him what the problem was, since he couldn't get to work at the designated time. The First Sgt smiled and informed the boss that he noticed the first hour was spent drinking coffee, telling stories, and scratching, so he just decided to come in when the REAL work started...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Heard a similar story...The retired First Sgt reported for work the first day on time for his new civilian job..Next day and every day thereafter he showed up hour late. Boss asked him what the problem was, since he couldn't get to work at the designated time. The First Sgt smiled and informed the boss that he noticed the first hour was spent drinking coffee, telling stories, and scratching, so he just decided to come in when the REAL work started...
    LOL!!!! I can see my 1st Serg saying that.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Links