1911 Junkies in here

This is a discussion on 1911 Junkies in here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by dr_cmg When we watch television; we WATCH TELEVISION! Our wives say something to us and we do not hear it. They complain ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Junkies in here

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    When we watch television; we WATCH TELEVISION! Our wives say something to us and we do not hear it. They complain that we are not listening to them. It's true we are not.

Okay Dr.

When I get home this afternoon, I'm going to find the cameras you have planted in my house. I know you've been watching me.

I would like to invite you over to dinner so you can explain that to my wife.

Bruce,
    Yes, you are
    over 1911, I know that was bad, but I couldn't resist.

Sounds perfectly normal to me though.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

I like all the auction (and other) posts about 1911s and I guess I have kind of an obsession with the 1911. I say "kind of" because I like the 44 Magnum cartridge, too, so I like some of the guns chambered in that.
    But.... any 1911 obsession is much better than a Harley obsession. Trust me... way better (meaning a whole lot cheaper)!!

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you enjoy something, you like to share it with like-minded people like yourself. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy seeing the 1911s and other stuff that goes up here. The more I see, the more I learn!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son
    Okay Dr.

When I get home this afternoon, I'm going to find the cameras you have planted in my house. I know you've been watching me.

I would like to invite you over to dinner so you can explain that to my wife.
    I mentioned that I work at a college, but have I mentioned that it is an all woman's college? I get to explain that and the fact that men don't always have to be right, they are always right. (genetic competitiveness) I also explain that psychology has sold Americans a bill of good on what drives each sex. They tell you that for men it is sex and for women it is romance. WRONG! In reality for men it is respect and for women security. Sex is a way that men understand that their wives respect them. Romance is one of the things that demonstrates the man's love and concern for his spouse and that makes her feel secure.

Part to the explanation about both respect and the male's ability to concentrate on one thing is a discussion on the fact that it is easier to change behavior than nature. I explain that men by nature concentrate on one thing to the exclusion of others. So if the man is supposed to take out the garbage on Saturday morning, but he gets started watching a ballgame: he gets into a zone and in reality time ceases to exit for him. What does he mean later when he say that he did not realize it was so late? He means that time passed by without his realizing it. If the wife comes in an reminds him about the garbage once, it is a reminder. If she comes twice or more it is nagging and to him, whether he is conscious of it or not, it is a sign of disrespect. I advise the ladies to remind one time. Then if a while passes and he does not do take out the garbage to do it themselves. Then when an hour or so later he comes in to take it out to say, "I knew you were budy with something so I took it out for you." What does that say to a man? It says I respect you and your personal time. What is the man's response? He thinks, Wow, she really does respect me." And he makes a special effort to do his duty the next time. The behavior that needs to be change is the nagging and by doing that the wife does not change the nature of the man, but uses the nature of the man to accomplish what nagging never would. I also teach them to try to find something each week to compliment their husbands when they marry. This builds that sense within the man that he is respected and he responds by demonstrating that she can feel secure in her relationship with him.

I often ask young ladies if they know why men don't ask for directions? They give a variety of answers. Then I ask them if they know that men ask for directions when their wives are not in the car? They usually look rather confused at that. I explain that to ask directions with your wife in the car is to lose respect. I also explain that it is entirely possible to have a husband who will ask directions even with them in the car. They look even more confused then. I tell them that if from the very beginning they indicate that they have a great deal of respect for a man who is willing to admit that he has made a mistake. This builds in an understanding that they each realize the other is not perfect and that admitting mistakes is a sign of strength not weakness.

Well, I again have provide you with more than you ever wanted to know.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

OD*
    If noone wants to see them I won't post them anymore.
    Well, I vote you don't stop posting them.

There may actually be some with the 1911 addiction worse than you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg

I say keep posting the links to odd pistols and getting the guys who have already done the research tell you what's wrong and right with them. You learn, I learn, and these guys get to make additional use of the effort that they have put in to finding the answers. We help each other. That is one of the reasons I thing that CC is the best forum there is. The people are willing to share the knowledge that they have accumulated with us. And in turn we are willing to share what we have found. There is not jealousy here. On so many forums the whole thing is about who is the greatest. Here nobody belittles anyone for their lack of knowledge. Here questions are encouraged. Here people grow and are nutured. Here we are welcomed.

I believe that the philosophy of this forum can be expressed in the idea: Pay it forward. It seems that the people who come here and stay and participate recognize that they have been helped in their endeavors by others and they those who helped them can never be repaid for that help. So instead they do exactly what those who helped them did. They help those who are less knowledgeable to find the knowledge they need. I for one think that I am fortunate to have found this place.

Dr.:
    So true.

Bruce: Just don't rob banks! Keep those bananas dancing!

I, unfortunately, obsessed with a career for 24 years, and have found a lot of other things the last two years, including GUNS! So - all of you are enabling me! Keep up the great job! YEA!

Keep up the post, I don't search the web for 1911's cause I get frustrated cause I can't own all of them. I do like all your post so please don't stop.

I'm rapidly turning into a 1911 junky that's for sure. Still can't figure out the 1911 secret handshake though.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimo
    I'm rapidly turning into a 1911 junky that's for sure. Still can't figure out the 1911 secret handshake though.
    Ah, but there is a secret knock that goes with the handshake, so even if you somehow found out the handshake you still won't be alowed in.

There is only 1 way to get into the club without knowing either the shake or the knock. You have to go out and buy a Colt Commander , a lightweight version is also exceptable.

Roger that, I'm on it Sir.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

A Commander is my next one, for sure. Well, I said that before I got my last Officer's model. Oh, and maybe another Defender. And a Government in 38 Super.
    Yep, a Commander....
    Unless I run across....
    At least I still have room in the safe - and it should really be full. Of 1911s.

OD*
    You have to go out and buy a Colt Commander
    Well crap.

~ Tiger McKee

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Well crap.
    No more Gobmits for you OD till you buy a Commander.

OD*
    Still can't figure out the 1911 secret handshake though.
    Kimo,

You'll just have to learn the Government Model secret handshake, until you get yourself a Commander.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    No more Gobmits for you OD till you buy a Commander.
    OK, good reason to get another.

Does owning a number of the Commanders in the past hold any sway?

~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links