1911 Junkies in here

This is a discussion on 1911 Junkies in here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Am I the only one who spends hours searching the web for 1911's and related equiptment? I do believe I am a addict, I can't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Junkies in here

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

1911 Junkies in here

Am I the only one who spends hours searching the web for 1911's and related equiptment?
    I do believe I am a addict, I can't help myself. Seems like all i do now is come here and search the web for 1911's. Am I all alone here or is this normal for us 1911 guys?

2. Remove Ads

Admitting you have a problem is the first step .

yep your the only one that does it and then post links to 3/4's of the auctions

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    yep your the only one that does it and then post links to 3/4's of the auctions
    I just like to share some of the strange things I come across. I find the strange stuff so others who have a life won't have to find it for themselves.

so how strange are all the colts on auction ? now the tools i dig and books.. but the pistols come on

so how starge are all the colts on auction ? now the tools i dig and books.. but the pistols come on
    They aren't necessarly strange, but they are somewhat unusual as they are older than most anyone on this board. I'm sure some people here enjoy looking at them. If noone wants to see them I won't post them anymore.
    I guess some people have more love and respect for the old 1911's than others.

Ohh i like the old ones but 10 different auction links a day

And ya don't always post auctions to old one wasn't it a xs or xse the other day?

Also problem is with auction links is they go bad after a few months

Ohh i like the old ones but 10 different auction links a day

And ya don't always post auctions to old one wasn't it a xs or xse the other day?

Also problem is with auction links is they go bad after a few months
    So go through and erase them if it makes ya feel better. I didn't know it was such a problem.

i don't specifically look for 1911 stuff, but if i'm looking for ak,ar,cz,s&w,mossberg,remington,savage,ruger, stuff i may as well look at 1911 stuff. OH MY GOD I'M A GUN ADDICT!!
    oh well, guess i'll just have to live with it.

The 1911 is my favorite handgun platform, but I don't think I'm as bad as you. Ever since I pulled the trigger on my grandfather's 1911 (pre a1), I never looked back. I'm more of a traditionalist myself - don't care for all of the new fangled 'improvements' on Mr. Browning's original design.

Lead Moderator
    While I enjoy my SA champ. , I think you have the disease worse than most others here. I do like seeing odd ball guns and accesories.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Bruce, I have observed that all men are to some extent obsessive compulsive. It is one of the traits of the male psyche. By nature we are able to concentrate on one thing to the exclusion of all others. When things need to get done this is a strength. Men do not multitask well. But if you want to get to the moon in 4 years you use men to do the work. The planning, the testing, the building and everything else. Why? Because men can lock on to an objective and not be sidetracked by anything. This is also one of the main causes of our conflicts with our wives. When we watch television; we WATCH TELEVISION! Our wives say something to us and we do not hear it. They complain that we are not listening to them. It's true we are not. Why? Because we only do one thing at a time and at that moment it is watch television. Women do not have this problem. They multitask well. That is good for times when multitasking is important. For raising children multitasking is a necessary talent. You have to be able to talk on the telephone, cook a meal, and at the same time watch children and listen for a hint of a problem. It is not good for doing things that require intense concentration and the ability to exclude all else.

That said, I do not see a minor obsession with 1911s as a problem. This is because I have through my life moved from one obsession to another. There was the drag racing obsession, the photography obsession, the golf obsession, etc. As I have gotten older the obsessions have become a little less obsessive and I don't just drop old obsessions like I used to. Now I don't become totally immersed in my "obsessions" to the exclusion of other interests. I maintain an ongoing though lessened interest in the things I formerly had on the front burner. Now although books are no longer my main "hobby" I still have a large library, read alot and buy a good number of books. Although I am no longer in the IT field and am no longer studying computers almost exclusively, I still have a home network, a server, and 5 computers connected to it. I still help friends with their computer problems and I still read lots of computer literature.

Why does my opinion matter to you? I don't know that it does, but I have a MS in counseling, I worked for 5 years as a professional counselor, and for the last 27 years have done counseling on a more or less casual basis. As a librarian I have people as lots of questions and I get opportunities to do counseling with the students at the college where I am librarian. You would be amazed at the counseling opportunities a computer technician and network engineer gets when he is the guy who goes out on site to do the work. As the IT director of a college you get many counseling opportunities with faculty, staff and students because as you are working on the computer you get asked questions and often they have nothing to do with the computer. By the way you learn to do some multitasking. It is my opinion that most, if not all, men need something to concentrate on other than what we do for a living. Most of the great collections in the world were created by men. We are good at it.

By the way if you thing you are obsessed with something, I was talking last night to a man in his late 60s. He has for many years collected nothing but individual military weapons and firearms used by the Japanese during WWII. He said his wife quit complaining about guns after he had over 500. In the past few years he has begun to collect weapons from the European theater as well. He told me though that he only has a hundred or so of these. He has started picking up some allied weapons as well, but mostly British so far. He said he has one .45. A 1927 Colt Sistema. I you like 1911s go for it. I personally am a collector of information and I learn something from most of the messages that you post about them. I do not have one, but will be getting one in the next few months. What would I do before I bought one? As a researcher, I would reasearch the internet to find all the info I could and then decide what I wanted to buy. I don't have to do that now! I have a whole internet full of information provided by CC and the people like you who have already done the work for me.

I say keep posting the links to odd pistols and getting the guys who have already done the research tell you what's wrong and right with them. You learn, I learn, and these guys get to make additional use of the effort that they have put in to finding the answers. We help each other. That is one of the reasons I thing that CC is the best forum there is. The people are willing to share the knowledge that they have accumulated with us. And in turn we are willing to share what we have found. There is not jealousy here. On so many forums the whole thing is about who is the greatest. Here nobody belittles anyone for their lack of knowledge. Here questions are encouraged. Here people grow and are nutured. Here we are welcomed.

I believe that the philosophy of this forum can be expressed in the idea: Pay it forward. It seems that the people who come here and stay and participate recognize that they have been helped in their endeavors by others and they those who helped them can never be repaid for that help. So instead they do exactly what those who helped them did. They help those who are less knowledgeable to find the knowledge they need. I for one think that I am fortunate to have found this place.

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack the thread, but I sensed that you might really be concerned about your intense interest in 1911s and worried that it was somehow wrong. If I overstepped a boundary I apologize.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I dont think its so bad.

Ill start to get scared when you rob banks to get a +$25000 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I dont think its so bad.

Ill start to get scared when you rob banks to get a +$25000 1911.
    Hey Bruce
    If you get caught can I hold onto that +25k 1911 for ya?

Sounds normal to me
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links