Recommendations for a new car

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a new car within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since people in here are really knowledgeable and helpful I was hoping for some input form you all. I am in the marked for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a new car

Recommendations for a new car

Since people in here are really knowledgeable and helpful I was hoping for some input form you all.

I am in the marked for a new car..and there is just too much out there..But I have figured out something that might help narrow it down.

I want a electronic trunk opener from inside the coupe, like the new VW Passat has..Anyone knows what car I have to choose from?

Sure..i could put a max price as a lot of other things too but..I like my cars- just like my guns- so I rather not set a $30.000 limit if I get what i want at 3500..

So, any suggestions?! Thanks.
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Thats a pretty short wish list.

I think the absolute best value in a car right now is the Mazda 3. It is packed with features that others havent touched and it drives like a true sports car. It is very reasonably priced, a far better value than others in its class. You can go mild to wild in that car, it all depends on what you are looking for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm sure you could get a Toyota Corolla with that option. Whatever you get, make sure it's very fuel efficient, because Washington is obviously going to dictate what cars we may drive, along with what food we may eat, what cloths we may wear, what guns we may own, etc......
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You might want to look at the Hyundai line. Sonata or Elantra depending on your budget.

Bang for the buck is superb these days.....the quality is right up there with Honda and Toyota at a much lower price point.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

those might disagree... but thats what i like about this forum...
    my 2 cents.

first choice Ford Fusion....

second choice Chevrolet Malibu...

both have the options
    both get pretty good gas mileage.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I would second the Ford Fusion for a couple of reasons:

- They are an American Owned Company (although the car is built in Mexico - thanks Bill Clinton :( )
    - They didn't take any bailout money
    - They turned a profit in the most recent quarter due to debt restructuring:
    Ford profits from debt restructuring | Business | guardian.co.uk

And oh yeah, did I mention THEY DIDN'T TAKE ANY BAILOUT MONEY!
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Although I think buying American is the best way to go,.. Sadly it chaps my butt that the government controls the MPG that the car's get.. I feel Honda's are the best way to go,.. I see what car's have what problems and what car's get the most calls for parts,.. Honda's get oil filters,. Ford Fusions get all parts, and Chevy Malibus get fuel pumps quite often,. Among other things,. I wish we had a good American company that wasn't government controled,.. but then again, there is no way to get around that,.

If you like the Malibu, look for one made in Kansas, that plant get major awards for quality.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    I'll second the Hyundai recommendation. Well built, good gas mileage and one of the best warranties on the market. My wife drives a Hyundai Santa Fe and loves it.
    Last edited by archer51; August 25th, 2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I would second the Ford Fusion for a couple of reasons:

- They are an American Owned Company (although the car is built in Mexico - thanks Bill Clinton :( )
    - They didn't take any bailout money
    - They turned a profit in the most recent quarter due to debt restructuring:
    Ford profits from debt restructuring | Business | guardian.co.uk

And oh yeah, did I mention THEY DIDN'T TAKE ANY BAILOUT MONEY!
    Yeah, but if he gets a GM, the White House guarantees the warranty, and Michelle will change the oil, and Sasha will wash it!
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Everybody has their choice and mine would be a VW Jetta TDI. I'm on my second VW diesel since 2000 and have never taken either one in for any repairs. I get right at 36mpg in town and 45 mpg on the highway - combined it never gets less than 38mpg. It has a huge trunk, 6 speed Porsche transmission, Audi diesel and all the luxury features you could want - auto wipers, side air bags, etc. You are looking at a fully equiped car for around 25 to 28 thousand.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Hyundai Accent

Buy American....Hyundai Sonata or Santa Fe.. Both made in Montgomery, Alabama.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Olsen View Post
    I want a electronic trunk opener from inside the coupe, like the new VW Passat has. Anyone knows what car I have to choose from?
    A Mazda Miata isn't a coupe, but it's got an in-cabin trunk release. They can be had for under $5K used ($3500 here and there), in great shape. Plus, they're a hoot to drive.

Though, if a coupe is what I were after, I too would take a strong look at the Mazda 3.

IIRC, the Volvo C30 Coupe also has an in-cabin trunk release. Nice little rig.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Unfortunately if you want the "most American car" (per car.com) it would be the Toyota Camry.
    Is this a family car or just for you? The Acura Tl and TSX are very nice cars, and lots of bang for the buck. Got 197k miles on my 2003 tl w/ nothing more than standard maintenance, even did my own oil and rotations. Hated to trade it in 2008, but wife said was time to let it go. Would have gone back to Acura but MDX mileage sucks. Drive a Honda now (they own Acura).

BTW easy research and pricing for cars con be found at Edmunds.com
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links