I need a little parental advice

This is a discussion on I need a little parental advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a super active 2 year old son. I'm not talking your regular active run of the mills 2 year old... This is like ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need a little parental advice

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I need a little parental advice

I have a super active 2 year old son. I'm not talking your regular active run of the mills 2 year old... This is like a kid on crack. It's to the point that he has had two bloody noses and a busted lip in the last 24 hours, all this while people are watching him. I can't turn my back for a quarter of a second and next thing I know he is gone and face planting into something. I mean the people at daycare don't even bother calling us anymore when he falls and scrapes something. It's that bad and that common. They say of all the kids they have, he is THE most active. In the last week he has had two scraped knees, ran into a swing at the park while his sister was on it, cracked his head on the cupboard in the kitchen all this coupled with 2 bloody noses and busted lip. He is way too wired. We don't give him sugar, but he CAN NOT sit still.

Tonight for example, we put him to bed, no sooner did we turn the lights out I heard a loud thump and a blood curdling scream. He had crawled over the gate and smacked his nose AGAIN, blood all over the place. You'd think he'd learn not to crawl over the "child proof" gates... but they are nothing to him. Child proof locks... whats that? Electrical outlet stoppers... piece of cake. Short of duct tapping him to the wall, we can't get him to sit and watch 2 seconds of Elmo.

At McDonalds the other day he was twirling around, so I grabbed his arm and held him at my feet to sit him still, and even then he was still bouncing up and down. I don't get it

How can I calm him down?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    On your own you may not be able to calm him down, see a doctor, soon.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    On your own you may not be able to calm him down, see a doctor, soon.
    +1 Wow I don't know, I have three that are now 17, 15 and 11; a conversation with your pediatrician is probably in order.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Well he is going for a routine check up and shots tomorrow. I may mention something to our family doctor and see what he has to say. I never remember our older daughter being this way when she was 2...

Best advice would be to talk to your pediatrician. He or she should be able to point you in the right direction. Ritalin shouldn't be the first choice or even the second, third or fourth. He'll learn to settle down as he gets older, probably just too much energy and he hasn't learned how to deal with it yet. Maybe you have a future Pete Rose on your hands...player not gambler.

Sign his butt up for wrestling/boxing/karate/kung-fu/ etc. anything and everything you can as soon as he's old enough, football, baseball, soccer, tennis, basketball, track, etc......work with who he is, don't let the docs turn him into another drug controlled robot who thinks somethings wrong with him. When he gets too far out of control do what should be done and spank his bottom. But if you want something that todays society will be comfortable with....take him to the doctor, put him on meds, slow down his brain, and turn him into a little clay person.....meantime buy the little guy a helmet?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Sign his butt up for wrestling/boxing/karate/kung-fu/ etc. anything and everything you can as soon as he's old enough, football, baseball, soccer, tennis, basketball, track, etc......work with who he is, don't let the docs turn him into another drug controlled robot who thinks somethings wrong with him. When he gets too far out of control do what should be done and spank his bottom. But if you want something that todays society will be comfortable with....take him to the doctor, put him on meds, slow down his brain, and turn him into a little clay person.....meantime buy the little guy a helmet?
    You read my mind. So many doctors want to push the meds. One time I told a doctor I did not like my job,he said "oh that sounds like depression'. No, it sounded like a needed a different job! But I guess I am old fashioned.

Terrible two's? Don't let them put him on medicine to sedate him.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    .....meantime buy the little guy a helmet?
    Not a bicycle but a football or baseball helmet w/a face shield. Good luck!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Duct tape and warm milk................

DM2
    I totally agree with this post. Some doctors now days have their hands in the cookie jar with the pharmaceutical companies. I can't stand when the first solution for kids is drugs. Look at Michael Phelps. His mom took him off the drugs and the rest...as they say, is history (literally in his case).

Get him active in things constructive that will burn that energy. Also, look at some things yourself. Do you comfort him with sugar-loaded stuff like candy, cookies, french fries and lots of sugar loaded drinks. Get a doctors opinion and make sure your son is healthy, but don't just accept a solution of medication without some other alternative too.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Either meds or velcro.

Bourbon.

Sorry, I couldn't resist........talk to the doc, but beware of drugs. Kids are hyper. They get hurt. It's what they do. Enjoy the ride.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I am no expert, but just one question, when he hurts himself, do you go running over and calm him down immediatly? Is it possible that he is climbing out of his crib and falling down, or getting into stuff repeatedly to get your attention? If so, maybe a bit of crying is in order, or putting him back into a crib he can't get out of. If I have tried a lot of things, I might try doing nothing and letting him be to show him that he dosen't always get attention when being bad. That and a baby treadmill might do the trick....

I know this may sound weird. Me and my wife went through a very similar experiance with our oldest now 21.We tried every thing in the book he was diagnosed with adhd,odd,and several other issues.The one thing we found when he got so wond up we gave him a little bit of high caffeine soda it helped counteract the wild.I know it seems weird but it helped us there were times he would go like the energizer bunny then it was like blam brick wall and he crashedand not even the most earth shattering noise would wake him.Best of luck its hard but I would advise talking with a peds doc and see what they suggestand as far as the accidents our son was also severly pigeon toed and had severe inner ear issues the messed up his equalibruim.Good luck hope you find your answers.

Gbear

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links