Best Friend :( - Page 2

Best Friend :(

This is a discussion on Best Friend :( within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi George. I just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you all day. Not an easy thing to have to do. You're ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Friend :(

Hi George. I just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you all day. Not an easy thing to have to do. You're in my thoughts!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss. We don't realize how big a part of our lives our pets are till they are gone.
    New puppy time??

OD*
    I am truly sorry for your loss, friend.

Just this side of Heaven, is a place called Rainbow Bridge...

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

author unknown to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Assistant Administrator
    Oh .45 - I am so sorry to hear that - it hurts - damn well hurts.

There is tho too the love of you the owner that actually makes this the best and only way to go. No prolonguation of suffering - just a merciful release - then, treasure all the good memories derived from a friend.

I feel for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    OD, thanks for posting the Rainbow Bridge. I thought of posting it, but couldn't find my copy and hadn't yet search the net for one. I asked my wife for permission to share a letter with the forum and she said of course. In Nov 2001 we had to have, Ginger, our Shetland Sheepdog put to sleep after over 14 years. That was tough. Then in April 2003, Scruffy, our Golden Retriever mix got into something we never found out what and died in about 24 hours. That was very hard on my wife because we had to leave him at a out of town vet. During the night he went into convulsions and late died. After Ginger, we added to return our flock to three. We moved back to Alabama in June 95 with just Ginger who had be our only for 8 years. In April 96 we added Bruno, if you can believe it, a Rottweiler Cocker Spaniel mix. In April 97 Scruffy was added. Scruff was a real case. He had mange so bad that his tail had only about 3 hair on it and his left ear was just a scab. The vet said he would be alright, but that he would probably never have hair on the left ear. His beautiful blonde hair grew back and covered the left ear completely. After Ginger came Bingle. He's the avatar. He is Bull Terrier and Basset Hound. After Scruffy's death I wasn't sure what my wife would do because Scruff was her baby. She didn't know whether she wanted another dog or not. For Mother's Day 2003 I wrote the following letter from Bruno and Bingle to their Mama. Leah appreciated very much and so I include it below. I hope that it is a help to .45ACP as well.

Mama, we (Bruno and Bingle) love you and thank God each day for a mama such as you. We know that you are still struggling with the death of our brother, Scruffy. So since he can't be here to wish you a "Happy Mother's Day" as our Mother's Day gift to you with love we want to tell you what he would say if he could communicate with you today.

Mama, I love and miss you. I would not trade my five years with you for anything anybody could offer. Mama, I am so thankful that a little over five years ago you were willing to take a risk. You took a risk on a skinny, dirty, hungry, sick, ugly golden retriever mix. You were willing to risk getting close to him and touching him. You were willing to take the risk of grabbing hold to him and holding him til Dad could pick him up and put him in the car. You were willing to get dirty and willing to love a mutt whose tail was almost hairless and whose ears were nothing but scabs. It was not the vet or the medicine that made me into the boy who was just the opposite of his name, a boy whom everyone called pretty, a boy who could get his picture published in a coffee table book. No, it was not the vet or the medicine that did those things. It was your love. Your love for me when I was unlovely. It was the encouragement that you gave. It was the knowing that when you came home you would be looking for me. It was all the things you did that let me know that I was not just a mutt, but rather was a boy who was loved and desired and that I was as special to you as any fancy registered dog could ever be. Everything that anyone saw in me I owe to you. Thank you again, Mama for loving me.

Please don't grieve too much for me for I am well. This place is beautiful and everyone is nice. The only thing that could make it better would be for you to be here. Every time a new person arrives I run out to see if it is you. I am always disappointed that it isn't, but I know that someday I will see you coming over the rainbow bridge. Then we will be together forever. Mama please know that my last thoughts before crossing the rainbow bridge were of you and your love. Thank you again for being my Mama!

By the way there is a loud mouth pedigreed punk dog here who sends you her love. We spend time together remembering all the great times we had with you and thinking about how wonderful it will be when we are together again. She said to tell you that now she can run and jump and play like she used to when you lived on Wildair Drive and she too is checking out every new person who arrives to see if it is you.

Mama, take care of yourself and never quit taking risks on my canine cousins. You have more than enough love for me and for them. Well, I've got to go now, but want to say, "Happy Mother's Day" before I do. I love you and miss you.

There it is, Mama. That is what Scruff would say to you. We agree with him and we love you too.

Bruno

Bingle
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Dr CMG, OD
    Thanks!
    Thanks to all of you.
    I will pass Rainbow Bridge on to the local shelter. I've supported the shelter ever since I discovered it. It's a no kill shelter where they actually care for the animals, walks, playtime, etc.
    My pup and I used to go up there together to drop off food or monetary donations, which will continue. Yes, my baby was and is a beautifule purebred and I will eventually get another but I am considering a shelter dog sometime soon.
    I don't know why Lady had to suffer in the end, maybe a test for me to see if I had the compassion and love to end her suffering. I did. And I thank GOD for the time that we did have together, it was a wonderful 14 years.

George

I had to put down one of my two dogs last week, her name was Abby. She was a terrier mix and I found her while mowing a yard. She was old when we found her and I think she was abused by her previous owner.

It took her a while to get comfy with or family and our other dog. But they became best friends and spent most of every day wrestling and chasing eachother. My other dog, looks like a jack russell/rat terrier/german shepard mix, is very depressed and spends all day laying in Abby's old bed. Molly looks like a freakishly small german shepard and she acts like one too. She usually will not let any strangers into the house and is solid muscle.

Abby had also had tumors. The one we had removed had rapidly grown froma small bump on her chest to the size of a softball. She had also suffered from a stroke and the left side of her face drooped.

I suggested getting another dog from the shelter where we got my still living dog, Molley.

Scout
    My heart goes out to you, I know the feelings.
    I do distributed computing as a hobby, work alot on projects modeling drugs to find cures for diseases such as cancer and aids. Sure wish one of the animal pharmaceuticals would come up with something similiar. I have 12 PC's running on projects and would donate half of those to finding cures for pet diseases if the companies came out with similiar programs. Maybe I'll email one and suggest it.

.45acp... shelter dogs can be great. i got one after i had to put my first dog(15 y.o.) down. i went by there and he kinda adopted me. they have a neat sign there. it says recycled pets are cool.

VIP Member
    I agree shelter dogs are great. If I did not say so earlier, the only one of the 5 dogs we have had was a registered dog. Ginger, our Sheltie, was registered. The other 4 have been strays. The first came from our local vet. Our town does not have a shelter. The next two were strays. One wondered up to the house and the other was roaming around on our college campus. The last one came from my wife's brother who got him from a shelter just about the time our Scruffy was killed. He dicovered he did not have enough space to keep a Lab. Labs never grow up they just remain big puppies and this one was digging and just running through the underground fence whenever he was ready. Leah's brother realized that Leah was going to be looking for another dog and since we had the big yard, chain link fence, and Baxter was a yellow lab of similar size and color to Scruffy he called her. We went and Leah met Baxter. The rest is history as we came home with an 11 month old yellow lab.

We would not trade any of our "mutts" for the finest pedigreed dog in existence. These guys are great. BTW all names start with B and so I call them the "Killer Bs" harking back to the Miami Dolphins' defensive backfield of the 70s.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

George,

Please accept my condolences. It is never easy - but you showed you have the strength, wisdom, and compassion to let her go on ahead.

The Rainbow Bridge poem is at http://petloss.com/

Today (April 4) it is one year ago that I had to help one of the best cats ever to the Bridge. He had intestinal lymphoma. His name was RedFang O'Feral and he was a feral cat we trapped and tamed. Bit the dickens out of me one time, but became the most affectionate cat ever. I miss him. Hang in there - time helps.

Regards,
    Andrew
    Retractable claws... the original concealed carry
    http://www.bayourifles.org

Senior Moderator
    .45acp, my condolences.

Last April we had to have our 12 year old Akita put down. I've been through it a few times now, and it never gets any easier.

I respect you for having the courage to do what had to be done to ease your dog's suffering. To me, making the choice to have a dog put to sleep is an act of courage and love. It is a mark of the care you had for your dog that you were willing to put yourself through this loss and pain to stop hers.

Hang in there.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    I am truly sorry for your loss, friend.

Just this side of Heaven, is a place called Rainbow Bridge...

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

author unknown to me.
    OD, don't make me cry again. This is so beautiful! Thanks!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Senior Moderator
    I lost a dog many years ago and even though I've long got over it, I still remember the grief to this day. I've got another day coming too; my dog Tangle is about 9 years old. I love her way to much - it's gonna hurt.

Sorry for your loss. I know this is a difficult time for you.

Here y'are.

Scroll down about 7th if you don't read that far... :)

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~cypert/dick/inheaven.html

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links