It made me reflect

It made me reflect

This is a discussion on It made me reflect within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know the Kennedy thread was whacked but his death made me think that the assassinated brother, the 35th President, would have been 92. Old, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

It made me reflect

I know the Kennedy thread was whacked but his death made me think that the assassinated brother, the 35th President, would have been 92. Old, sure. But that man could still have been alive today. Most people are too young to even vaguely remember the youngest man to be elected president.

No matter your political beliefs, this is pretty much the end of a century of a powerful American family.

A family that because of who they were swept a lot of garbage under the rug
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think it is more than coincidental that very shortly after he signed a law abolishing the Federal Reserve, he was assassinated.

Too bad. I wish there are more that had the constitution to be able to do the same. A bunch of somebodies.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I know the Kennedy thread was whacked but his death made me think that the assassinated brother, the 35th President, would have been 92. Old, sure. But that man could still have been alive today. Most people are too young to even vaguely remember the youngest man to be elected president.

No matter your political beliefs, this is pretty much the end of a century of a powerful American family.
    +1

Regardless of your political beliefs, enough people liked him and his policies enough to keep him in the senate for so long. Whether or not you like the man or his ideals, at least he had the courage to fight for what he believed in.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Powerful family yes, and they gave much for and to this country.

Joseph gave his life during WWII over England

John F served in WWII and assasinated during his Presidency

Eunice giving her life to develope and work with persons with disabilities and Special Olympics.

Robert assasinated when running for President.

Jean served as Ambassador to Ireland

Edward, 47 years as Senator, prolific bill writer/sponsor and respected by members of both parties.

You don't have to like them or agree with their political views, but one can't argue with their families service and sacrifice to the country, and their efforts to make it better.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Like them or not, they stood up for their beliefs and didn't back down. That is one trait I like about them for sure.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Actually, JFK ended up being not too popular. The true historical reality is that he probably would not have been reelected.
    He did not become phenomenally "loved" and immortal/super-human until he was assassinated.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry I have no good feelings for any of the kennedys. The old man was a crook ans was caught making deals with the Nazis, JFK and Bobby coundn't keep their power in their pants and old Ted was the same I think they thought their money made them above all us little people. If Teddy did any thing while in office it was for his own good no matter what the cause. We all have to answer for what we do in this life and now the last of the Kennedy clan is paying up.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Considering the politics of the Kennedy family it's hard to believe, but John F. Kennedy was a life member of the NRA
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    I think it is more than coincidental that very shortly after he signed a law abolishing the Federal Reserve, he was assassinated.

Too bad. I wish there are more that had the constitution to be able to do the same. A bunch of somebodies.

I TOTALLY agree with this..

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    About time as far as I'm concerned. As a family, they contributed a lot, good and bad. As individuals, they were very different. I'd rather not speak ill of the recently departed but I do hope his misdeads and poor judgements are remembered as well as his accomplishments. His family, friends and co-workers cared greatly for the man so there must have been a good side.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

JFK was also a tax cutter.

Administrator
    JFK was actually more conservative than many of the conservatives these days.
    I was really way too young to be much into politics back then though.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Talk about making one reflect. Did anyone else hear that 'dear beloved Teddy' will be buried at Arlington?

Doing a little research finds that he served in the Army as a Pvt for 2 years in Europe during the Korean war because Daddy pulled a few strings to ensure he didn't actually see combat. So technically I guess this means that he is eligible for burial at Arlington, but it still disgusts me to know that he will be buried in such hallowed ground.

Funny thing is he joined the Army because he got kicked out of Harvard for getting caught cheating, twice!!
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Talk about making one reflect. Did anyone else hear that 'dear beloved Teddy' will be buried at Arlington?

Doing a little research finds that he served in the Army as a Pvt for 2 years in Europe during the Korean war because Daddy pulled a few strings to ensure he didn't actually see combat. So technically I guess this means that he is eligible for burial at Arlington, but it still disgusts me to know that he will be buried in such hallowed ground.

Funny thing is he joined the Army because he got kicked out of Harvard for getting caught cheating, twice!!
    I can't say I'm surprised about the cheating, there seems to be a pattern of it.
    But we shouldn't speak ill of the dead, I will offer the only compliment I can think of.
    Ted Kennedy was an excellent swimmer, for a drunk.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links