I've Decided: Old Age Is A Gift

This is a discussion on I've Decided: Old Age Is A Gift within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ExSoldier's note: Okay! So I'm not quite there yet, but it's comin' and I thought this was a pretty cool way of looking at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've Decided: Old Age Is A Gift

Lightbulb I've Decided: Old Age Is A Gift

ExSoldier's note: Okay! So I'm not quite there yet, but it's comin' and I thought this was a pretty cool way of looking at the inevitable..

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, he was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let him know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body . the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror, but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to overeat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or
    play on the computer until 4 a.m, and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50's & 60's,
    and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love . I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the bikini set.

If they are lucky, they too will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten . and I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when a beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. I can say "no," and mean it. I can say "yes." and mean it.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day.
    Author Unknown

Today, I wish you a day of ordinary miracles.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

that's good. thanks.

dude,
    that's not "old",
    that is simply 'content in maturity'.
    good for ya!

Dan

VIP Member
    <sniff>

Kinda makes ya think. I'm not there yet, but I probably have less time to go than I realize. One day you are indestructible, then something happens (like an off hand comment from someone still in youth) that brings to realization that <poof> you are there. You are "old".

Thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like they really came from the heart.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - I suffer an ambivalence on ''this age thing''

I am encouraged by the ''what I have learned'' aspect but sure as heck rue the bodily complaints at ever more trivial pursuits

I admit tho I am able to stretch the envelope somewhat - more than once happened!!

Overall tho - I'd love to be 40 again - ah, the relative fitness!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.
    So true... I only have one gray hair at the moment, but already this is true. There is one uncle who is an exception though, you guys can have him for a box of .22 lr ammo.

"Old Age, I decided, is a gift."

Hmmm, as in a White Elephant Gift??
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

VIP Member
    Great post Ex....I've told a few people after they ask me if getting older bothers me that no....aging doesn't bother me all that much, because the alternative to aging really sucks.....that is of course being dead.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1952 - 2006
    As Bruce Willis said, "No matter how old we get, we are always 24 or 25 in our heart."

I served for a couple of years in SEA. When I got home I was 20 years old. A hot-shot spec ops operator. I soon realized after getting out of the military that none of that meant pfft. I started becoming grateful for the fact that I was going to live to see 30.

I'm now 53 and tho the body complains, I'm still that 5'8" chunk of blue twisted steel in my mind.

God Help Me.

I think you get old when you admit to yourself that you are. As long as the mind is willing, tell your body to shut the **** up and ruck up!!

I feel grateful for every day. It's a walk in the park. At least in my old age nobody's shooting at me.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

That was good thanks ExSoldier762
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Whenever I hear people complain about getting old I always tell them it's all in their head.

Ex,

Damn!

That was scary good!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Ex: Thank you. I am smiling, ******!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    ... I only have one gray hair at the moment...
    Some people's hair turns gray, other people's hair turn loose. Not to brag or flaunt, but mine turned loose.

We won't have hair in heaven you know - because we'll be perfect, of course.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    So true... I only have one gray hair at the moment, but already this is true.
    I only have one gray hair as well. The other 3 are brown.

Really, I am 15 years older than my father was when he had his first heart attack. Last year I had to have a stress test and other checks before having some shoulder surgery. The results were that the doctor told me I needed to lower my cholesterol and in the next breath told me I was a poor candidate for artery blockage. Getting old is not for the young, but so far it is not as hard as I had envisioned it either. My high school 40 year reunion is coming up this summer and I will say the same thing I said at my 20th. These people are really looking old.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links