Please tell me there are more fish in the sea

This is a discussion on Please tell me there are more fish in the sea within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, this maybe off topic, if so, mods please move, I just need to vent a bit. So lets just say that I have been ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me there are more fish in the sea

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

OK, this maybe off topic, if so, mods please move, I just need to vent a bit.

So lets just say that I have been single for going on 6 years. Its driving me nuts.

I finally start talking to a women, everything is nearly perfect about her and then we get onto a hot topic with her. She is a Here is her response when asked about her thoughts on firearms, this is cut and paste from the conversation:
    "I guess I am just not understanding the need to carry a loaded gun around with you. The chances of needing it are almost zero. So why bother? "

I of course respond with:
    "its just like carrying mace, wearing a seatbelt, and having a smoke detector. you may never need mace, may never be in a car wreck, in my 31 years of living, never had a fire in a house, they are just all tools for a specific job."

She is also strong on the no guns in her home or around her children. I can respect her wishes but then she goes onto the "I guess there would be disagreements if it got to the point of living together"

So please tell me there are more fish in the sea. I jokingly asked her if I had her last name correct because I would not date someone with the last name of Brady, she sorta did not laugh.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I was where you are now. No luck at one time so I gave up. Shortly after I gave up I met a nice young woman who later became my wife. I'm not saying give up because each person is different maybe you should try another fishing hole to cast your line. By the way I met her while working an armed security post so she knew I carried a gun on the job and had them at home. They are out there.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post

So lets just say that I have been single for going on 6 years. Its driving me nuts.

I finally start talking to a women, everything is nearly perfect about her and then we get onto a hot topic with her. She is a Here is her response when asked about her thoughts on firearms, this is cut and paste from the conversation:
    "I guess I am just not understanding the need to carry a loaded gun around with you. The chances of needing it are almost zero. So why bother? "
    "its just like carrying mace, wearing a seatbelt, and having a smoke detector. you may never need mace, may never be in a car wreck, in my 31 years of living, never had a fire in a house, they are just all tools for a specific job."

She is also strong on the no guns in her home or around her children. I can respect her wishes but then she goes onto the "I guess there would be disagreements if it got to the point of living together"

So please tell me there are more fish in the sea. I jokingly asked her if I had her last name correct because I would not date someone with the last name of Brady, she sorta did not laugh.
    Huh? The chances are almost zero? In Ohio? On this planet? Why bother?
    Uhm, well, one it's not a "bother" to me, and two, I like being alive.
    Tell her you bother because there are people like her that "don't bother", and you care about your personal safety and hers, and the children.
    Some sheep are just blind to things around them and think the whole world is safe place, it will never happen to them.
    Either convince this girl that it can happen or move on. Yes there are other fish in the sea, some that actually understand.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Most people are anti-gun, only because they've bought into all the phony propaganda that groups like the Brady Campaign put out there. Unfortunately, much of the media spews out the same paranoid, anti-gun, liberal BS. I believe her opinion would change if she was shown the truth.

Here's a nice place to start: NRA-ILA :: Firearm Fact Card 2008

Plus, educate her about things like the real Katrina, where the government basically collapsed. Gun confiscation followed, and then the gangs ran roughshod over everyone. Then tell her that laws have actually been passed to prevent this type of gun seizure.

As you say, guns are a tool. Hopefully never truly needed.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I've been married for 26 (?) years. When I met my wife, I told her right up front ... "I smoke, I drink, I hunt and I fish". Way back then she said she understood all of this but when it actually came down to it, she would rather I was spending time with her. Now after all these years married, we are doing these things together. I got lucky (I think) but I was upfront about my life's endeavors and she now enjoy's them as much as I do.

Search for other fish or train the one you have, only you can choose. Good luck.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I too had given up. I was on a three year dry spell. The most wonderful woman I have ever met in my life....wandered in to my path and we are getting married next June. They are out there. Did I mention she is a member here and loves hunting and fishing and shooting? Trust me stick with it. The right one will pop up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    RUN!!!!!! It doesn't even sound like you found a good fish, more like a carp or some other junk eating fish.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Indeed, there are other fish in the sea. The problem I had was once I found them, I discovered they were already taken by the likes of you.

Marriage is tough enough. You really don't need to be fighting over this all the time. OTOH, I have heard many a story of the woman ultimately being brought over to the light side. Keep looking and patience my young Jedi.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Take her shooting. Start out with a .22 rifle, then maybe a .22 pistol, then work her up. Let her get comfortable with them.

If she refuses even to participate in a day at the range, well you got some serious thinking to do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Based on all the stories of woe that I've read, I wouldn't marry someone hoping that the problems will go away. If this is going to be an insurmountable barrier, then better to find out now before you make any vows.

I wouldn't give up just yet. She needs convincing that carrying a gun is an act of personal responsibility to protect your life and your loved ones. Is she going to be useless in an emergency, or a partner that you can rely on to watch your back?

These sites might give her some perspective:
    Cornered Cat
    Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog

You have friends here that will listen to you however it turns out. Best of luck to you.

Lot's of great advice in them posts..

I know what your going through.. It has been close to five years that I've been single and the older we get the harder it is,.. But being with the wrong person is worse then being single.. "Hell hath no fury, like a women scorn".... Proverbs something.. :-)

Just think of what a great catch she will be if you can show her the light....

Life is full of challenges, dont give up without putting forth your best effort, that is if your willing to give it a chance.

If all else fails and she continues to always be a
    then try another fishing hole.

this is one of our responsibilities anyway, continue the fight and try to educate the and make them believers. I dont think any of us here would take the aproach to just quit, if so then the no believer win hands down. spread the word, educate and instill our words and belief to the non-believers.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    These sites might give her some perspective:
    Cornered Cat
    Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog
    Also the Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp video may help... from another woman's view.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post

Since your in Ohio, id be more then happy to meet up with ya, and relay the story of how my wife and I were shot by a total stranger for no apparent reason at all, and we'll both show her our wound scars

Whats more, that night it happened, there were two other shootings in the same suburban area.

Id have to say, that if I were ever looking again, my dating pool narrowed a bit since I took up firearms.

My wife didn't want any part of any guns, especially after we got shot. She was instilled with the fear of guns her mother passed down to her. However, I was able to use them as a tool to get her over her fears of them as a result of what happened, and she got her CCP. It made me very proud of her.

I hope it doesn't require that for her. Hopefully you can talk her into it.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    A new batch turns 18 every day ;)
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links