Woman Fired For Using Uppercase In Email

This is a discussion on Woman Fired For Using Uppercase In Email within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; And from the "You can't make this up" dept: Slashdot Idle Story | Woman Fired For Using Uppercase In Email "An accountant in NZ has ...

Thread: Woman Fired For Using Uppercase In Email

And from the "You can't make this up" dept:

Slashdot Idle Story | Woman Fired For Using Uppercase In Email

"An accountant in NZ has been awarded $17,000 NZD for unfair dismissal after her boss fired her without warning for using uppercase letters in a single email to co-workers. The email, which advises her team how to fill out staff claim forms, specifies a time and date highlighted in bold red, and a sentence written in capitals and highlighted in bold blue. It reads: 'To ensure your staff claim is processed and paid, please do follow the below checklist.' Her boss deemed the capital letters too confrontational for her co-workers to read after they woke up from naptime."
    We have de-evolved. Seriously.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

DM2
    "An accountant in NZ has been awarded $17,000 NZD for unfair dismissal after her boss fired her without warning for using uppercase letters in a single email to co-workers. The email, which advises her team how to fill out staff claim forms, specifies a time and date highlighted in bold red, and a sentence written in capitals and highlighted in bold blue. It reads: 'To ensure your staff claim is processed and paid, please do follow the below checklist.' Her boss deemed the capital letters too confrontational for her co-workers to read after they woke up from naptime."

Naptime!!!!! Last time I checked, you can get fired here for taking a nap during work hours.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ah, EMS. Earn Money Sleeping. EMS doesn't have all the fancy traditions that the fire department does, but I like this one.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Please stop shouting "EMS" I find it too confrontational. Use the kinder, gentler "ems" in the future.

Thank you.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

They really went the extra mile to fire her!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    THIS WILL RUPTURE YOUR EARDRUMS!
    Ouch! Stop Yelling! QKShooter.

Computer people honestly need to "shed the nerd-skin" and get out more.
    There is a real world with people and trees and birds out there.

cj
    I'm truly amazed. It's not a story from the United States.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    THIS WILL RUPTURE YOUR EARDRUMS!
    Ouch! Stop Yelling! QKShooter.

Computer people honestly need to "shed the nerd-skin" and get out more.
    There is a real world with people and trees and birds out there.
    And inflatable sheep.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Umm not sure if you're being serious or not. You know EMS is an abbreviation, thus it is capitalized. Note, for instance, my avatar.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    The firing stinks, but it's ridiculous to fire someone without at least counselling once. Most corporations have a set policy of handling minor infractions, and this wasn't earth shattering. Usually it's verbal warning, written warning and 1 to 2 face to face counselling sessions before termination. I realize this probably wasn't a large corporation, but still, at least a counselling session should be done prior to termination. Then again, I've been fired twice without counselling, and once when I wasn't even given a reason. Some places just suck.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Umm not sure if you're being serious or not. You know EMS is an abbreviation, thus it is capitalized. Note, for instance, my avatar.
    I got the sarcasm in his voice especially with the kinder gentler comment and the level of sensitivity on the original post. /shrug
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    The firing stinks, but it's ridiculous to fire someone without at least counselling once. Most corporations have a set policy of handling minor infractions, and this wasn't earth shattering. Usually it's verbal warning, written warning and 1 to 2 face to face counselling sessions before termination. I realize this probably wasn't a large corporation, but still, at least a counselling session should be done prior to termination. Then again, I've been fired twice without counselling, and once when I wasn't even given a reason. Some places just suck.
    I think it's ridiculous to counsel someone on the use of color and caps lock on something designed to get people's attention, let alone firing them. The reason of the firing is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard of.

CHL Holder

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Ah, EMS. Earn Money Sleeping. EMS doesn't have all the fancy traditions that the fire department does, but I like this one.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links