how do I make better pictures?

This is a discussion on how do I make better pictures? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Window light is gorgeous, and you did a great job on this photo, darkvibe. Does your camera do its lightmetering as an average of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do I make better pictures?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Window light is gorgeous, and you did a great job on this photo, darkvibe. Does your camera do its lightmetering as an average of the scene, a spot in the center, or some combination ("center-weighted", for example)? My remarks above are only accurate for the averaging meter: you obviously did a fine job with a white background.

Gotta say, too, that the original photo that started the thread was certainly better than many I've seen, and the reason I went into detail above was 'cause the OP asked.

2. Remove Ads

someone already mentioned this, but I'll echo...use a white posterboard to bounce light off of with a flashlight (white light if possible). This, of course, if you can't do stuff outside with natural light available. Also a tripod is a must. Other than that just play with the various settings on your camera if you can, for instance the aperture and shutter speed if your camera allows these manipulations.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Window light is gorgeous, and you did a great job on this photo, darkvibe. Does your camera do its lightmetering as an average of the scene, a spot in the center, or some combination ("center-weighted", for example)? My remarks above are only accurate for the averaging meter: you obviously did a fine job with a white background.
    Well, I cheated... I shoot a Canon 30D. That photo was manual exposure. About 1 stop over what the camera recommended using evaluative metering if I remember right. My little P&S does manual exposure though so it's not the camera that makes it possible. If using a P&S I would say a medium colored cloth for a background is the easy way to go but white is still possible.

I usually shoot gun photos for my blog using 2 off camera flashes with bounce umbrellas and wireless triggers but that's kind of beyond the original post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Window light is gorgeous, and you did a great job on this photo, darkvibe. Does your camera do its light metering as an average of the scene, a spot in the center, or some combination ("center-weighted", for example)? My remarks above are only accurate for the averaging meter: you obviously did a fine job with a white background.

Gotta say, too, that the original photo that started the thread was certainly better than many I've seen, and the reason I went into detail above was 'cause the OP asked.
    First off, your advice was spot on. Both posts.

To the OP, check to see if your camera has adjustable light metering, as mentioned above. My Exilim camera has it and I am hoping my Kodak will too!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I would try to not use the flash to start with. get out in the sunlight or in a well lit room and put it on a nice background and take a few shots. I don't think your shot looks bad it's just the flash washes out the details.

depending on what camera your using try using an aperature around f5.6 or if you have a point and shoot set it on the Portrait mode and try a few shots that way.

here is a shot of my glock 27 that i took a while back just on my kitchen counter glock 27 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! I had a decent overhead light and a few other lights on around and i thought it came out decent (no flash used). I use a Nikon D80 dslr so i have more control over a point and shoot but you can make good macro shots with a point and shoot.

Now i didn't have my baby all posed on a nice background and all that but this is just an example that the lighting will make the difference and let you see all those details of that beautiful gun!

Can't wait to see some more pics!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links