how do I make better pictures?

This is a discussion on how do I make better pictures? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got my S&W model 65 back from CCR and it's really nice. I did pictures and they just look bad. You can't see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I make better pictures?

how do I make better pictures?

I just got my S&W model 65 back from CCR and it's really nice. I did pictures and they just look bad. You can't see how great the work CCR did is in my pictures? Do I need a new camera or what? Any help?

Here's a picture to show what I mean.

2. Remove Ads

No picture showing...
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Administrator
    Click on Forum Help & Extras at the top of every forum page.

You will find some help there.

try film...
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Are you using that macromedia setting for closeups
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

crap, the picture isn't there is it? duh.....
    sorry guys. I'll try again.

I can post pics OK, its the pic quality that's crappy.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Not too bad... try some shots on a simple background in open sunlight, and then try bright shade...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

There not bad. You can read the numbers on those stickers clearly
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    crap, the picture isn't there is it? duh.....
    sorry guys. I'll try again.

I can post pics OK, its the pic quality that's crappy.
    jca1,

If you're going to do any more shots inside with a flash, use a dark colored background rather than white (dk. blue, burgundy, brown, etc.). Expecially if you're shooting shots of a blued gun. Take shots at different angles.
    Also try some shots outside. Partly cloudy is usually better than full sunlight.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Best place to start is to use natural light and have the camera on a tripod or some steady rest. Don't use the flash. See what you get and turn the gun so the light hits it from a different angle if you want to change it a little. Pretty much any camera can take great photos these days.

VIP Member
    The pics don't look that bad. Nice looking smitty!

You can also use some white poster board to bounce light onto the gun, that is if you can "Shoot" it without the flash. This will help with the high contrast that you are getting that you don't like. If you experiment with different angles, you'll see how it changes the lighting on it.

+1 on what P7fanatic said. Try different backgrounds too. If you want to get a close up, be sure to set your camera to Macro and make sure you don' t get too close or too far.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

OK, thanks everyone, I'll try some more later.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Further on the backgrounds:

The light meter in the camera tries to make the overall average brightness of the scene become 18% grey (kinda medium grey). If you have a white scene like snow, it will come out looking grey; if you shoot a picture of a black cat in a coal bin, it will look like a grey cat in a pile of grey rocks. If you have a mixture of tones, it may very well turn out right, as 18% grey is the average brightness of the world in terms of contrast and amount of light compared to amount of shadow.

Who cares? You do: if you try to get a photo of a dark gun on a light background, the camera will adjust the exposure to give you 18% grey. Problem is, what IT thinks is right is too much light for the background (it goes to pure white) and too little for the pistol.

SO... shoot against a dark gray background, and the exposure needed to get your whole scene into the 18% range will be enough to show detail in the blued gun. OR, put your gun on the white background if that's what you want, and ADD a black T-shirt on either side of the background, VISIBLE IN THE VIEWFINDER (so it will contribute to the overall exposure), then crop it out when you're doing your photo editing. The large black areas and the white area around your weapon will be perceived by the camera as roughly the same as a dark grey background, and the overall exposure will provide you the details you want.

Another tweak, if your camera permits it, is to make the photo lighter: often you can go +1 or +2 on the exposure settings (double the light and four times the light, respectively).

Also, consider a lightbox/tent/cube: make a framework (coathangers, fishing line, PVC, etc.) and drape it with white cloth. Shine bright lights on it, and put your subject inside it.

OR just tweak the existing images using Photoshop if you can afford it. I use GIMP - it's free, and can do good work for you. In the "after" photo, below, I lightened the background, kept the light parts the same, and changed the thresholds/lightened the dark parts. Easier to do it with lighting.
    Attached Images
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

This was taken with white poster board as a background and natural light from my window.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links