Gun Polishing advise.

This is a discussion on Gun Polishing advise. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you can help me with some suggestions. I have a S&W 686-1 that i got when my ...

Thread: Gun Polishing advise.

Gun Polishing advise.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you can help me with some suggestions. I have a S&W 686-1 that i got when my father died. He never cleaned it. When i got the gun i cleaned the crap out of the inside and used some nice gun oil. It doesnt miss a beat. But the finish on the Stainless steel frame looks really dull and run down. I tried to use some chrome and mag polish but that diddnt help.

This is a picture of it now.... and below it is what I want it to look like, or as close to it as possible. I am going to be getting some nice rosewood grips for it and will make this gun into something my father would have been proud of. I know im probubly going to need a dremel and a posihing tool for it, But what products have been proven to work.

Before...

And this is what i want it to look like!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

2. Remove Ads

My only experience with stanless steel is in the kitchen sink. for that I use Bon Ami. I don't know if those vary fine abrasives would be good if they got into the workings of your gun. It really makes the sink shine though.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

flitz polish works very well

Administrator

Thumbs up I'll post here again tomorrow.

Flitz & Simichrome are both great but, both will make the metal "mirror bright" eventually.
    If you want a soft satin then use the Scotch Abrasive Pads.
    Geesh...I don't think they are the Scotch Brite ones. I'm not sure.
    I have to buy some more anyway...so I'll get you the exact name for you tomorrow & post it here.

You're LUCKY that the gun is Stainless Steel.
    You WILL easily be able to put your firearm back to Brand New Factory Finish Looking & it's impossible to goof up.
    Ya gotta LOVE that Stainless Steel.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For best results: detail strip it. Use the green 3M "Scotchbrite" pads. Cut pieces about a finger-width wide and 3" or so long. Polish length-wise, and as much as possible, only in that direction. For places where you go across the frame (perpendicular to the barrel) do your polish, then blend the edges of the area by polishing lengthwise again. For a BRIGHT brushed finish, put a few drops of cutting, or 3-in-1 oil on it, as you rub. "Dry" rub comes closest to factory. Have fun!

Links