Woman uses lighter to check gas can level

This is a discussion on Woman uses lighter to check gas can level within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman uses lighter to check gas can level, blows up car :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State "Woman uses lighter to check gas can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman uses lighter to check gas can level

Woman uses lighter to check gas can level

Woman uses lighter to check gas can level, blows up car :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State

"Woman uses lighter to check gas can level, blows up car
    Comments

August 29, 2009

A Joliet woman suffered second-degree burns Tuesday night after she used a cigarette lighter to help her see how much gas was in a can she was been filling.

The incident happened at a 7-Eleven gas station at 1609 E. Cass about 10:30 p.m., police said.

The 27-year-old woman "was filling up a gas can, which was sitting on the passenger seat of the car. [She] then used a lighter to . . . observe how full the can was," police said.

The flame ignited the gas, and the can exploded, setting the car's interior aflame.

Apparently afraid that the fire would spread to the gas pump she had been using, the woman began to push the burning car.

The car was about five feet from the gas pumps and engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

The woman was treated at the scene for second-degree burns to her right wrist and right thigh before being taken to Silver Cross Hospital. Her injuries were serious but not life-threatening.

Herald News"

I wonder who shes going to sue first?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

OMG. I thought it was going to be a joke and was looking for a punch line.

How does a woman get to that age and remain THAT stupid. I am not so sure that her injuries will not be worse. With her face near the explosion, she might have respiratory burns which get worse a day or two later when it really swells up. I worked at the KU Medical Center's Burn Unit. We know that when a explosion happens and the face is near...the impulse is to be surprised and take in a deep breath of super heated air. Those second degree burns are no picnic either. It take scrubbing of the skin to take the dead skin off to avoid infection. Daily scrubbing....I have seen strong men reduced to quivering masses when this had to be done...even with morphine on board.
    There are very few other things that I can think of that is worse than a 2nd or 3rd Degree Burn OR Respiratory Edema which takes being intubated at least.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Talking

Another Darwin award candidate!
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Distinguished Member
    Sad that it happened, but if something did have to get burned, hope it was her reproductive organ.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

not too smart

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed , but dang !!!
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

The really, really scary part is that these kind of people vote, may want to carry firearms and also hope to run the country!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Wow. Feel sorry for the lady, but damn. Lucky the car had no kids in it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Wow, it's all I've got
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Unfortunately I can't poke fun at this lady as I did the same thing with my motorcycle while I was in HS. I popped open the cap and flamed up my Zippo and took a look. No explosions but the fumes caught on, and I immediately shut the cap.

The real funny thing is I joined the Army as a Combat Engineer, you know handling explosives and other fun things like that
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Hey...RIP OFF! - She stole that idea from The 3 Stooges.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    There's a video around somewhere of a convenience store clerk who appears to do the same thing on top of a tanker: I believe it was actually a cell phone which ignited the fumes, but it wasn't pretty. I'm sure he received some severe burns along with his fall off the top of the truck.

I'll handle firearms: they are pretty well behaved. But I don't mess with gas fumes.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    The really, really scary part is that these kind of people vote, may want to carry firearms and also hope to run the country!
    They walk among us...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Another Darwin award candidate!
    Can you be in the running for the Darwin Awards if you survive your encounter with stupid?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'm surprised she didn't use a road flare from the trunk to check the level.... Sheesh!

Yes, they do walk among us! Scary thought!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links