And They Wonder Why Many Reporters Are Universally Hated

This is a discussion on And They Wonder Why Many Reporters Are Universally Hated within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nutz4utwo It is not an easy question to swallow. I have seen the photo and it too is hard to swallow. Many ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: And They Wonder Why Many Reporters Are Universally Hated

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    It is not an easy question to swallow. I have seen the photo and it too is hard to swallow.

Many Americans become complacent with the war and whine more and more about it. Showing them these violent photos is an effective way to show them how dangerous it really is. Photos of war casualties were first allowed to be published in WWII when FDR thought the US Public was being complacent.

I do respect the wishes of the family, but am also glad to see honest reporting of the situation by the new media.

I can't fault them for reminding the American public that this is a serious business and real people's lives are at stake. They did it in a way that was accurate, respectful, and consistent with DOD policy.
    I just want the press to also publish the atrocities committed by the enemy....so they know what kind of animal we're fighting.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Ultimately, I suspect the AP will regret this decision.

Even if no official action is taken by the armed forces against the AP (like removing them from the embed pool), word of this will spread through the service.

How likely is it that anyone is going to voluntarily give an interview to this particular reporter again? What sort of access will she really have if the unit she is with shuns her and other AP reporters over this?

Yes, the AP had a right to publish the photo. But as with so many things in life, just because the could publish doesn't mean they should publish.

But in my experience, the media place making money over treating people with respect every time. The myth of the nobility of journalism is just that - a myth.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The medias lack of decency is only surpassed by their stupidity. This was nothing more than a ratings scam. If only it would happen to them.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I just want the press to also publish the atrocities committed by the enemy....so they know what kind of animal we're fighting.
    This WAS an atrocity committed by the enemy.

Have you actually seen the photo in question, and read the caption?

The caption clearly states that Lance Corporal Bernard was hit by a rocket propelled grenade during a Taliban ambush.

It's a sad day in America when misguided individuals are virulently attacking the Associated Press for showing a graphic image of Taliban fighters killing our troops in Afghanistan.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Short memory, ay?

You don't remember the notorious photos of the four Blackwater employees who were beaten, shot, burned and dragged through the streets of Fallujah, ending with two of them being hung upside down from a bridge?

That was clearly an atrocity committed by the enemy, and the Associated Press disseminated those photographs worldwide, and they were featured in a lot more media outlets than Lance Corporal Bernard's photo has been:

http://www.creditsuit.org/images/fal...ar04-afp2.jpeg

"I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The problem I have is there were probably hundreds of other photos from the same 5-10 minute span. Why show the motrally wounded Marine. Wouldn't pictures of the firefight, the Marines tending him (without him in the frame and Medevac choppper) have conveyed the same story WITHOUT upsetting and violating the family's wishes.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    But the way your [sic] going on about this, I don't think you have been in the SH%& before.
    Am not "going on" about anything. I simply asked one question: why be up in arms.

For which nobody has an answer, other than grousing about its despicability, depravity, or the bottom-dwelling nature of the publisher. Folks say it's "wrong," but not why. The family didn't want it, and the family didn't need it, with some suggesting avoiding the adding of pain to their pile is a goal. All writers are "scum" and the AP is specifically, to have published it; they're only interested in making a buck.

All of that is bitchery, not reasoning why that photo was a bad thing, or done badly, or harmed anyone. Not that bitchery isn't okay, but it doesn't go very far and doesn't really explain anything. Several have posted they've seen the specific photo in question along with the write-up. Other than being in the category of showing a dying G.I., in my view it's more tasteful and respectful of the import of that moment than half of the footage I've seen of the conflicts in WW2, Korea and VietNam.

As for whether I've been in bad situations, or seen others in bad situations ... yes. Like many folks, I don't like it. It's not a pretty sight, those final moments. Haven't been employed to fight in a war, but believe it or not folks outside that range experience have seen this moment and can lay claim to having legitimate, supportable opinions about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Simply despicable.

Americans KNOW the horror of war. We don't need to be shown gruesome photos, especially against the wishes of the family. Many of us have either been in war or have close relatives that experienced the death and destruction.

Reporters should not be allowed to 'embed' with the troops. Absolutely NOTHING good comes from it as we have seen with the troops accused of murder, subsequently acquitted, and this inappropriate display of of journalistic lack of integrity. We have gone far downhill since Murrow.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I don't mind a little reality in my news. It was groundbreaking in WW2 to show dead Marines in newsreels. That was almost 70 years ago. And people pay good money to see Hollywood wars every day that are a lot more gruesome. Maybe I feel this way because I've been desensitized to this stuff as a Paramedic.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I am not saying that the atrocities of war shouldn't be published to remind everyone that "War is Hell", but to me, publishing a photo against the families wishes goes beyond the pale. The family should be left alone to grieve, and not reminded of their son's death in the national media.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    But you don't get in some one face when they are dying, that's a low life.
    Exactly. It's terrible enough to breath your last breath in some foreign hell hole far from home. To have some vulture there taking pictures of it is beyond the pale in my opinion.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Exactly. It's terrible enough to breath your last breath in some foreign hell hole far from home. To have some vulture there taking pictures of it is beyond the pale in my opinion.
    The photographer never "got in his face".

The photo was taken from a distance with a telephoto lens, with the photographer behind cover. The photographer herself was in grave physical danger.

Please be reminded that the Marine contingent had just been ambushed by Taliban fighters, and Lance Corporal Bernard took a hit from a rocket propelled grenade immediately before the picture was taken.

To suggest that the photographer was just nonchalantly walking around taking close-ups and trying to enhance the horror of the situation, is intellectually dishonest.

Alas, we live in "The nation of the easily offended".

The easily offended don't mind sending our sons to die gruesome deaths in faraway lands, but insist that the reality of war be sugar-coated to make those horrific deaths more palatable to themselves and the public.

Now THAT is absolutely disgusting.

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    The photographer never "got in his face".
    I never said that she did "get in his face".

The photo was taken from a distance with a telephoto lens, with the photographer behind cover. The photographer herself was in grave physical danger.
    Which still changes nothing.

Please be reminded that the Marine contingent had just been ambushed by Taliban fighters, and Lance Corporal Bernard took a hit from a rocket propelled grenade immediately before the picture was taken..
    Again, this changes nothing.

To suggest that the photographer was just nonchalantly walking around taking close-ups and trying to enhance the horror of the situation, is intellectually dishonest...
    I made no suggestion that she was nonchalanty walking around, taking close-ups, or trying to enhance the horror. What was that you were saying about being intellectually dishonest?

Alas, we live in "The nation of the easily offended".
    It has nothing to do with being offended. It's about having respect for a dying Marine and his family back home.

The easily offended don't mind sending our sons to die gruesome deaths in faraway lands, but insist that the reality of war be sugar-coated to make those horrific deaths more palatable to themselves and the public.
    This "easily offended" person served 20 years in the Army and is the son of a WWII Veteran, has a son who has served, brothers who have served, and is descended from a line that has served in America's wars going all the way back to the Revolution. We aren't exactly the kind that has to have things made "more palatable" to us.

Now THAT is absolutely disgusting.
    Not nearly as disgusting as turning that American Fighting Man's death into a public event against his family's wishes. Even public servants such as member's of the military have a right to a certain amount of privacy.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I never said that she did "get in his face".
    SatCong made the following statement, that YOU very clearly agreed with:

Originally posted by SatCong:
    But you don't get in some one face when they are dying, that's a low life.
    Your response to SatCong:

Yep, you're definitely being intellectually dishonest.

~ Massad Ayoob

Not nearly as disgusting as turning that American Fighting Man's death into a public event against his family's wishes. Even public servants such as member's of the military have a right to a certain amount of privacy.
    His family's wishes don't trump the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Gory war photos have been publicly disseminated since at least World War One, so no precedent was set here. No line was crossed that hasn't already been crossed many times in the last century.

Sorry, but Constitutional Law nor any other form of American law recognize the non-existent right to privacy that you mention above.

~ Massad Ayoob

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links