And They Wonder Why Many Reporters Are Universally Hated

This is a discussion on And They Wonder Why Many Reporters Are Universally Hated within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 Not a short memory...as I also saw this atrocity in person. Now I will say that was 5 years ago...the public ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: And They Wonder Why Many Reporters Are Universally Hated

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Not a short memory...as I also saw this atrocity in person.

Now I will say that was 5 years ago...the public has a short memory. My point is--the press should show pictures of the crimes committed by the TB/AQ/other insurgent forces on the Afghan people.

Also--if the press/AP felt this was newsworthy, how come no newspaper/television/online newspaper has published the notorious cartoons of Mohammed?? It was a one month news cycle, but "out of sensitivity to Muslims", the cartoons were never published in a mainstream outlet.

The press is inconsistent with what is "newsworthy"--I doubt they know the definition of the word.
    Au contraire, Pierre! You're not speaking the truth.

The press has most certainly reported on Taliban atrocities---YEARS AGO.

From the liberal Chicago Tribune in 2001, one of the largest circulation newspapers in the country:

Minority Afghans tell Taliban atrocities
    Details emerge of mass executions

By Paul Salopek

Tribune foreign correspondent

November 26, 2001

"Patrons of terrorists, oppressors of women, willful destroyers of ancient culture, Afghanistan's Taliban regime has much to answer for. When it comes to human-rights abuses, nothing appears to match the evidence of atrocities now coming out of the remote heart of Afghanistan, where the nation's minority Hazara people live.

Gruesome details of mass executions and Balkans-style "ethnic cleansing" are beginning to emerge from the central province of Bamiyan as journalists visit the region for the first time since it was conquered by the Taliban in 1998."

Minority Afghans tell Taliban atrocities -- chicagotribune.com
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

2. Remove Ads

I asked this a couple of days ago and really wanted an answer. I don't know.

Some of you that have served.. any patrol with imbedded reporters? Are you responsible to keep them safe? Do they make things less safe for our soldiers?

Personally, I think we have to much media. I would prefer the military do their job and the reporters stop reporting every dispiciable thing that happens. War is hell. Things happen and unless you have been there, I would say "keep your opinions to yourself".

The more I here you guys go back and forth and now that I've talked to a few people at work, I've come to the conclusion that the AP didn't do anything awful. They should not have bothered to ask the father for permission they didn't need and I would have been just as happy to not know who was in the picture. As I don't know him anyway, it does not take anything away from how I feel about his sacrifice. It does bring some pain to his loved one's however, for nothing. IF they are going to be there to report the news, let them report it. Otherwise, remove them from the battlefield and let's get the job done.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    I asked this a couple of days ago and really wanted an answer. I don't know.

Some of you that have served.. any patrol with imbedded reporters? Are you responsible to keep them safe? Do they make things less safe for our soldiers?

Personally, I think we have to much media. I would prefer the military do their job and the reporters stop reporting every dispiciable thing that happens. War is hell. Things happen and unless you have been there, I would say "keep your opinions to yourself".

The more I here you guys go back and forth and now that I've talked to a few people at work, I've come to the conclusion that the AP didn't do anything awful. They should not have bothered to ask the father for permission they didn't need and I would have been just as happy to not know who was in the picture. As I don't know him anyway, it does not take anything away from how I feel about his sacrifice. It does bring some pain to his loved one's however, for nothing. IF they are going to be there to report the news, let them report it. Otherwise, remove them from the battlefield and let's get the job done.
    I have had to host various reporters embedded in my unit--we are responsible for their safety and security while they are with us. They are given specific instructions as to what they can/can not do; they can cover the story, but cannot put our forces at risk.

Reporters are here to tell a story--we want to give them OUR story with our message.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links