Are there any mechanics out there?

This is a discussion on Are there any mechanics out there? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday I had my 1997 Pontiac Bonneville worked on. The oil was changed, transmission fluid changed and a new sepentine belt put on. I used ...

Thread: Are there any mechanics out there?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Question Are there any mechanics out there?

Yesterday I had my 1997 Pontiac Bonneville worked on. The oil was changed, transmission fluid changed and a new sepentine belt put on.
    I used it to run errands the rest of the day and all went fine.
    Today I went to start it and everything appeared fine, interior lights came on, ignition chime was ringing (the door was still open when I put the key in). When I turned the key, there was a click and everything but the chime went dead. Interior lights, radio, everything.
    I raised the hood and everything appeared OK. Battery cables tight, they are the screw in type, belt was intact. Returned to the drivers seat and the interior lights came on when I opened the door. Then the whole thing repeated itself when I turned the key.....Anyone have any ideas?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

yup, one of 3 things... Loose battery connections, Bad ground, or dead battery...

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yep, definately electrical, did you try turning the headlights on to check for battery power. No lights = dead battery.
    Lights light them go dim while cranking, loose connection, bad ground or bad starter, pulling excessive amperage. Crank it over, a single click, usually indicates a loose connection between the battery and the starter(headlights should be normal brightness). If you get a very rapid clicking or buzzing sound that usually indicates a bad starter solenoid.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Actually, in my car........

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Yep, definately electrical, did you try turning the headlights on to check for battery power. No lights = dead battery.
    Lights light them go dim while cranking, loose connection, bad ground or bad starter, pulling excessive amperage. Crank it over, a single click, usually indicates a loose connection between the battery and the starter(headlights should be normal brightness). If you get a very rapid clicking or buzzing sound that usually indicates a bad starter solenoid.
    As you suggested I pulled on the light switch and nothing. Now even the interior lights aren't coming on and nothing happens when I turn the key, not even the click. The only thing working is that chime. No rapid clicking or buzzing. I guess those sounds would be coming from the starter? I'll try a new battery. Thanks you guys.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    As you suggested I pulled on the light switch and nothing. Now even the interior lights aren't coming on and nothing happens when I turn the key, not even the click. The only thing working is that chime. No rapid clicking or buzzing. I guess those sounds would be coming from the starter? I'll try a new battery. Thanks you guys.
    That sounds like a battery issue. Could be other things but likely battery. If your battery is/was within two years old I would check to see if someone pulled the old "switch-a-roo" on you.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Put a volt meter across the pos/neg batt terminals, you should have atleast 12.0v. The car may start with as little as 11.75v but may not also.

When they installed the new serpentine belt, they may have loosened the connections on the alternator, hence, your vehicle ran all day afterwards but now it has used all the battery reserve. It definitely sounds electrical to me. The serpentine belt also runs the alternator which charges your battery.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Check all battery connections first, especially if has been starting fine before the recent work. Remove cables, sand or clean them with a wire brush, reinstall making sure they are tight, then coat them with heavy grease to seal out any moisture that will cause corrosion. I use wheel bearing grease, works great and not very expensive.
    The rapid clicking would come from the starter solenoid, on GM and Chryler most are mounted on the starter itself, Fords often have then mounted on the inner fenderwell.
    If you have access to a voltmeter check the voltage at the terminals themselves rather than the cable connectors. 12-14 volts should be enough to start most engines.
    HTH.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Put a volt meter across the pos/neg batt terminals, you should have atleast 12.0v. The car may start with as little as 11.75v but may not also.

When they installed the new serpentine belt, they may have loosened the connections on the alternator, hence, your vehicle ran all day afterwards but now it has used all the battery reserve. It definitely sounds electrical to me. The serpentine belt also runs the alternator which charges your battery.
    Good point, check the wires on the back of the alternator as well, make sure those are clean and tight.
    If you have access to a 12 volt battery charger, try charging the battery overnight and try starting it in the morning.

Your battery probably has a shorted cell; check the voltage with the cables disconnected; if it is anything less than 13 volts DC you need a new battery. What usually causes this is over time, the plates inside the battery flex back and forth as electric current flows through them; eventually, the flexing and the natural sulfation that occurs as the plates are stressed will cause them to touch; when this happens, the cell shorts and the voltage and current available for use drops, rendering the battery useless.

Each cell = 2.2 volts, there are 6 cells in each battery, 2.2 X 6 = 13.2 volts for a fully charged battery. As other posters have said, a good voltmeter can tell the tale immediately, or if you have an extra vehicle you can take your battery out and stop by any auto parts store, they will have a tester there and can do the same....

Either way, good luck.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Sidepost batterys are horrible as far as bad connections. Sometime you can twist the cable end a quarter inch and the car will start.

Links