back pain remedies?

This is a discussion on back pain remedies? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another thing that helps is to stand in a doorway frame with your back against the frame and do squats you can also try it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: back pain remedies?

Another thing that helps is to stand in a doorway
    frame with your back against the frame and do squats
    you can also try it against a wall. After a few weeks or so
    do the the same routine but with a medicine ball in your hands.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yes! I broke my hip & tailbone when I was 20, and the latest MRIs say moderate degenerative artritis in the bones, and 2 degenerated lower discs, and one bulging.

Here's what works for me:

1) Inversion table. 5 - 10 minutes a day. Look for one on eBay, or sometimes you can get one on craigslist pretty cheap.

2) Fresh rosemary. Pound some with a hammer (you can get fresh rosemary at the grocery store) and throw it in a warm, not hot bath. Rosemary is a natural muscle relaxant.

3) a TENS unit. The electrostim stuff can get expensive ($800) unless your doctor finds a way to bill it to your insurance company. Mine did, it only ended up costing me the $25 copay to see the chiropractor. It works by the electrostim inducing endorphins and helps with the spasms like you wouldn't believe.

4) stretching. You can get a great book on stretching at the bookstore or amazon. Make sure you include stuff not just for your core, but specifically your back and hamstrings. That should help quite a bit after about 6 weeks if you do it every day.

If all else fails, an MRI and a neurologist may be able to help where the above can't.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    Oxycodone.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Oxycodone.
    This I like the sound of!
    Thanks everyone, some great advice I tink, I'll try it all!
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Wonder if you have a spinal disorder or something?
    Do you ever get a "shooting pain" no pun intended
    or does it feel like a hot poker in your back?
    You could have spinal stenosis or something like that
    you need to get diagnosed so you or a doctor can
    know how to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    Wonder if you have a spinal disorder or something?
    Do you ever get a "shooting pain" no pun intended
    or does it feel like a hot poker in your back?
    You could have spinal stenosis or something like that
    you need to get diagnosed so you or a doctor can
    know how to fix the problem.
    Usually I am Ok, My pain always stems from a missed step or a pull and twist motion. I have been doing P90X for a couple of weeks with no issues, feeling really good actually. Then tonight I went to pull up a tomato cage that was staked in pretty good. and pow! down I went. Usually when I do this, I'm Ok in a day or so, so I feel sure it's a muscle thing.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member

re: QK

Oxycodone.
    Not sure if that was for real or sarcasm.

The handful of times I've taken that after an injury or dental work, I really couldn't see why anyone gets "addicted" to it, or what the big deal was all about regarding it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

thats good its just a muscle thing
    some good consistent core exercises should
    fix you all up over time. Really sucks with back
    issues cause they always have a tendancy to keep giving
    people problems once it happens the first time

Administrator
    Not advocating it but, it's just a statement of fact.

If you are suffering from chronic back pain to the degree that you cannot walk...or sit up ~ or support your upper trunk then the only thing that will get you quickly and immediately functional again is a strong narcotic pain killer.

The slow method is to lay flat on your back for about three days and hit the anti-inflammatory pills.

VIP Member

re: QK Again

Not advocating it but, it's just a statement of fact.

If you are suffering from chronic back pain to the degree that you cannot walk...or sit up ~ or support your upper trunk then the only thing that will get you quickly and immediately functional again is a strong narcotic pain killer.
    I know what you are saying. Kill the pain. The thing to keep in mind is that the underlying cause of the pain also has to be treated with anti-inflammatory compounds; e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, prednisone, or similar.

Too many docs shy away from prescribing the pain killers and too many folks shy away from taking them, even if prescribed, out of fear of addiction/ dependency issues.

Speaking only from my very limited individual experience, I can't see why anyone would abuse it. I guess we are all different and my "benign" experience with pain killers isn't someone else's experience.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I once strained something in my back. I took a muscle relaxer and slept it off. I don't remember the name of the medicine. I was fine the next day and have been fine since. I guess that doesn't help you much.

Administrator
    I know what you are saying. Kill the pain. The thing to keep in mind is that the underlying cause of the pain also has to be treated with anti-inflammatory compounds; e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, prednisone, or similar.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I keep pulling my lower back, been happening for a couple of years now I think. Anyway it usually puts me down for a day maybe, so nothing super severe or anything, but extremely inconvenient. I pulled it tonight and I'm pretty much out now. I've got some aspercream and that's all for now.
    Any of you found anything that works really good for lower back pain? a certain way to lay or stretch, etc?
    +1 on the Ibuprofen. You need to get rest and get any inflammation down.

Don't try any extra exercise or stretching until the back heals! If you injured a muscle, you will just keep reinjuring it. You may want to see a Dr., just to be sure it's healed after it feels better.

I'd suggest some Yoga classes. I've been taking them for a few years an they have really strengthened my back and other core muscles! It's been great for my aim and helped my balance.

I have two in a class I'm teaching that have back problems. They both say it's helped.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I keep pulling my lower back, been happening for a couple of years now I think. Anyway it usually puts me down for a day maybe, so nothing super severe or anything, but extremely inconvenient. I pulled it tonight and I'm pretty much out now. I've got some aspercream and that's all for now.
    Any of you found anything that works really good for lower back pain? a certain way to lay or stretch, etc?
    Hey jca1,
    I fix problems like yours for a living. If you like you can pm me with more details or contact info and I may be able to suggest something or possibly find someone in your neck of the woods that does similiar work that I do.
    If I were in your position and have no contraindications to applying ice(20 minutes on then 30 minutes off, repeat many times) and drinking plenty of water, that would be a good start.

I've suffered from back pain off and on...usually causing it myself from heavy lifting, or carrying an 'unbalanced' weight.
    I ended up buying a hot tub...there have been nights that I could barely move to get in...but always felt better getting out.
    Ibuprofen, hot tub time, and a heating pad...after a few days it's always a noticeable difference...works for me.

I probably shouldn't have said anything...it's been over two years since the last painful experience.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links