Can anyone identify these snakes?

This is a discussion on Can anyone identify these snakes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They were in our pool skimmers, St Paul area in Minnesota...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone identify these snakes?

Can anyone identify these snakes?

They were in our pool skimmers, St Paul area in Minnesota
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure... They almost look like juvenile Cottonmouth (Water Moccasin) .

Definitely looks like a viper triangle shaped head.

Cottonmouth's have a light brown band along their mouth. And also frequently may have a yellow tipped tail. I couldn't get a good look at their cheek area, but I did get a hint of light brown on one in the picture. Cottonmouths are much more aggressive than Copperheads and have a stronger venom.

Alternate name: Water Moccasin

Family: Viperidae, Pit Vipers view all from this family

Description 20-74 1/2" (50.8-189.2 cm). A dark, heavy-bodied water snake; broad-based head is noticeably wider than neck. Olive, brown, or black above; patternless or with serrated-edged dark crossbands. Wide light-bordered, dark-brown cheek stripe distinct, obscure, or absent. Head flat-topped; eyes with vertical pupils (not visible from directly above as are eyes of harmless water snakes); facial pit between eye and nostril. Young strongly patterned and bear bright yellow tipped tails. Scale keeled, in 25 rows.

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/d...?recnum=AR0124

Poisonous Snakes

(I thought at first it may be a juvenile Copperhead, except they have unmarked heads.)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They vibrate their tails, hiss and strike at movements. I searched the internet but couldn't find any good pics that matched their markings.

Not Copperheads...long tail and wrong color.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Looks like gopher snakes to me. They must have gone into the pool and not been able to get out.

I don't know but I hope you were using a zoom lens.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    This is why I do not stick my hands in the skimmer.I use a rod with a hook on the end to remove the basket.

VIP Member
    It does sort of look like a Water Moccasin, but I think Minnesota is too far north for them. I was going to say those look like Black Rattlesnakes, but I don't see any rattler, which would mean they would have to be real young. Regardless, I agree with Bark'n, they do appear to be something venomous! What did you do with them?

VIP Member
    Ahhh, I was typing while you were posting. Maybe they are Black Rattlers if they are shaking their tail. Do a search for Massasauga and you should find info on them.

Also that is a little far north for a Cottonmouth, however, lots of snakes have been migrating more to the north.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am from and now live in Rattlesnake, Moccasin, and Copperhead heaven...Kentucky, but lived for several years in Minnesota and remember hearing there are no poisonous snakes there except for a very few timber rattlers up north.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

I'm not seeing any rattles on their tails. Even juveniles have distinct rattles.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Looks to me like they are most likely Massasauga. What size are the right now? Maybe they haven't fully developed their rattlers yet.
    What part of Minn. do you live in?

massasauga rattlesnake - Google Search

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    It does sort of look like a Water Moccasin, but I think Minnesota is too far north for them. I was going to say those look like Black Rattlesnakes, but I don't see any rattler, which would mean they would have to be real young. Regardless, I agree with Bark'n, they do appear to be something venomous! What did you do with them?
    There was a water snake that is indigenous to Minnesota. The marking are similar.

For now I have them in a large bucket outside the garage. I put some rocks and sticks in there. They seem to be content.

About 20 years ago I rescued a Bull snake that was caught in black run-off mesh fencing they had around my property while the house was built. Last time I saw him, he was 56 inches long. Snakes are pretty common out here. We are on 2 wooded acres, 15 minutes south east of downtown St Paul.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I am from and now live in Rattlesnake, Moccasin, and Copperhead heaven...Kentucky, but lived for several years in Minnesota and remember hearing there are no poisonous snakes there except for a very few timber rattlers up north.
    You are pretty much correct. I started doing some quick internet research just now and found this information on the Minnesota DNR website

Snakes: Minnesota DNR

If those are Black Rattlers, the DNR wants you to report them as they are listed as endangered in the state.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links