Starbucks DOES NOT support the troops...First-hand, personal account!

This is a discussion on Starbucks DOES NOT support the troops...First-hand, personal account! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know that there are always rumors flying around on the internet concerning this, but this time, I can confirm it from my wife's first-hand ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks DOES NOT support the troops...First-hand, personal account!

I know that there are always rumors flying around on the internet concerning this, but this time, I can confirm it from my wife's first-hand experience:

My wife works at a local Starbucks store. A co-worker of hers had the idea to take coffee and pastries to the airport and give them out to the returning troops as a store team and say "thank you." The store employees who wanted to participate would wear their employee shirts and aprons and represent Starbucks.

Well, this particular employee went through all of the proper channels and had to speak to a higher-up decision-maker in Starbucks marketing to get permission to do the outreach. (Starbucks endorses community outreaches frequently...it's part of their listed company goals.) The marketing lady skirted around a solid answer for a while and then finally said, "Well, not everyone supports the war or the military, you know." And gave a resounding NO for an answer.

There you have it.

Half of the employees at my wife's store are Christians and are very pro-military. My wife said that they are going to write a letter to corporate since Starbucks apparently likes to 'pick and choose' which outreaches it endorses.

I told my wife they should mention in the letter that Starbucks has the US military to thank for the oppurtunity to even have such a successful company.

Had it not been for our brave fighting men and women, I'd be asking myself, "How do you say 'coffee' in German?"
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Hey - sorry about the wife's project and her employer, but IMHO, their coffe is rank anyway. BTW, Does Starbuck's have any federal government or military supply contracts? LOL!

guess its good i dont drink coffee or get anything from starbucks what a bunch of turds

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like this shows their colors clear and bright.

As such not impressed at all - and glad I never use their stuff or patronize their establishments either.

I love coffee but mine comes from a guy in Abuquerque anyways
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think it was a lousy decision, but perhaps it was made for marketing reasons only. In other words, it's not that Starbucks does not want to show support, but that they don't want to lose customers on either side of the fence.

I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't support the troops, regardless of their feelings on the war. But I'm sure some don't.
    Blinky

Dalai Lama - May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

Blinky hit on the head. You don't have to agree with the darn war, but by God Thou Shalt Support Our Troops.....or get the Hell Outta Here!

There, I feel better now.....how are you?
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Well, some marketing chic at the corporate office might be just giving her opinion on the subject and I think you might find out that Starbucks does not share that same opinion.

I would like to see what they say after that letter is sent to corporate. I hope your wife and the other lady got her name so you can I.D. the one saying that.

If in fact that letter is responded to in a negatively by Starbucks then I will NOT ever enter one of there places again. My GF drinks it all the time and I already told her to hold on until further notice if she will be going back or not.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I'm betting that once this makes its way up the corporate chain to a real decision maker, this lady is going to be real disappointed.

I have heard the Starbucks rumors, but I also know several soldiers who wrote letters to Starbucks and received great care packages with coffee and goodies.

The company itself is amazingly supportive of the military, but apparently some of the employees are turds.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    I'm betting that once this makes its way up the corporate chain to a real decision maker, this lady is going to be real disappointed.

I have heard the Starbucks rumors, but I also know several soldiers who wrote letters to Starbucks and received great care packages with coffee and goodies.

The company itself is amazingly supportive of the military, but apparently some of the employees are turds.

If this is TRUE, I might buy a goodie from them occassionally. Do you personally know this to be true?

VIP Member

Starbucks DOES NOT support the troops....

Team American does not support Starbucks

*Subject to further review if duckhunter's analysis proves true*
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

stupid Starbucks, i don't think returning soilders would want to see Starbucks symbols anyway after fighting a war for half a year or more, its not like they will be "god i cant wait to go home and have starbucks!"

VIP Member
    Thankfully I'm not a coffee addict so no need to frequent that business.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Well I can't speak about the "corporate" nuts, but I know the local Starbucks here does.
    They've held thank yous for the local ANG base.

I've seen this stuff before, some "low level" person makes policy decisions. Often for PR reasons they get over turned.

I'm interested in seeing the response.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

My brother works at a local Starbucks and they put together care packages to send to troops on a regular basis. Maybe that person in marketing was just pushing their own views and opinions.

JT
    I don't know about this incident, but the internet and email stories about Starbucks not supporting the troops are false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links