By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics) - Page 2

By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics)

This is a discussion on By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sure those are nice but top this A device to give tobacco smoke enemas,mainly used to respirate drowning victims,but over time came under scrutiny on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics)

Sure those are nice but top this

A device to give tobacco smoke enemas,mainly used to respirate drowning victims,but over time came under scrutiny on whether it really worked,hence the term" are you just blowing smoke up my rectum"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Oh my god I'm Vintage, I started working EMS when the Lifepack 5 was brand new. Can I just post a pic of myself???
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sure those are nice but top this

A device to give tobacco smoke enemas,mainly used to respirate drowning victims,but over time came under scrutiny on whether it really worked,hence the term" are you just blowing smoke up my rectum"

Very interesting. I have to wonder who and why anybody thought that blowing smoke up an ass will would help anybody.

Or maybe this one is more appropriate;
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sure those are nice but top this...
    Well, this may be older, anyway:

HOSPITAL CARRIAGES FOR FEVER PATIENTS.
    This carriage is made as much as possible to resemble a private brougham, but the back is made to open on hinges, so as to allow of the patient being easily put into the carriage while lying on a couch which is made to slide smoothly upon rollers fixed to the framework. One side door, opposite the side occupied by the patient, is made to open in the usual manner, and accommodation is provided for an attendant inside the vehicle. The whole is hung upon very easy springs, and made sufficiently light to be drawn by one horse. Ventilators are introduced in the upper part just below the roof. The interior is painted throughout, so that, as well as the vulcanised indiarubber mattress and cushion, it may be washed and purified immedately after use; and there is no cloth, leather, linen, or other material which could retain any contagious particles. The comfort of the patient is well provided for. In all, up to the present time, six hospital carriages, or ambulances, have been built. The cost of each ambulance, complete with stretcher, mattress, and cushions, has been 100. Two of them are placed, by permission of the committee of the London Fever Hospital, at a station in the grounds of that hospital, and can be used one for smallpox and the other for fever cases by any person applying there for them, by telegram or otherwise, who is willing to pay the necessary horse hire. In order to place the other four hospital carriages where the sick could most readily avail themselves of them, the committees of five of the mainly unendowed hospitals were communicated with, and a donation of an ambulance was offered to them, if they would provide on their grounds a coach-house for it, and place it at the disposal of those patients suffering from fever or smallpox who might require removal to or from the wards of the hospitals in question. It is satisfactory to know that, in four out of the five instances, the offers were promptly accepted, and the London, St. George's, St. Mary's, and Middlesex Hospitals now have a well-constructed fever-ambulance to complete the efficiency of their organisation.)

(from www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site
    Interestingly, I have the page from the original London Illustrated News article, including this engraving. The building of these carriages was in response to published letters from someone who could be a distant relative, based on surname. And a good pal gave this page to me while I was an emergency medical technician (before we even HAD paramedics) driving an old hearse-style ambulance. Glad we have the 'big boys' doing this work now.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Cigars were inserted rectally back in the days before ether when doing abdominal surgery or setting bones.... It acts like a muscle relaxant.

Chapter 8 Botanical and Herbal Medicine- Page 77
    Survival and Austere Medicine

Tobacco Medical Uses
    The active ingredient of tobacco is nicotine. Nicotine has a number of important pharmacological effects.
    Firstly it is a muscle relaxant. This is from its direct effect on nicotinic receptors in the peripheral nervous system. It binds to the nicotinic receptors at the junction between the nerve and muscle and causes muscle relaxation. This is particularly
    useful in assisting the reduction of fractures and dislocations. If treatment has been delayed muscle spasms associated with the injury may interfere with reduction.
    The spasm will both directly oppose efforts to adjust the position of the bone and contribute to the pain felt by the patient. In general, the administration of an analgesic and a muscle relaxant are indicated. Allowing a smoker to have a cigarette may help. In severe cases the use of a general anaesthetic is usually required.
    In the absence of other alternatives the following procedure may induce sufficient relaxation of the muscles to allow a successful reduction:
    A cigar is inserted into the rectum via the anus leaving at least a third of its length outside. If a cigar is not available, the tobacco is removed from 5-10 cigarettes and placed into a cloth bag, which is then inserted into the rectum so that an end which can be easily grasped remains outside. Sterile water is used as a lubricant, and, if a bag is used, the contents should also be thoroughly moistened prior to being inserted. After 5-15 minutes, the muscles should relax sufficiently to allow a successful reduction. The insert should, in any event, be removed after no more than 30 minutes Note that nicotine is toxic. At the first indication that the patient is experiencing any difficulty, the insert should be removed by gently pulling on the exposed portion. Safety in using this technique relies on the relatively slow rate of transfer of nicotine from the tobacco
    leaves to the patient coupled with the ability to immediately halt absorption by removing the insert. It is therefore strongly suggested that no attempt be made to use an infusion prepared by "dissolving out" nicotine from tobacco. {This was a standard procedure during the civil war. In the blockaded South, with no opiates or diethyl ether, general anaesthetic meant drinking whisky until the patent passed out. 230gr}

Thank the Lord for modern medicine...

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Oh for the good old days!
    Started running under the siren in 19 and 75 and stayed there for 21 years ...
    I recall those old Boat Anchor Amb Paks! One fell out the back of an ambulance at 55 mph, it got skinned up a little but it kept working!
    Then there's the old Motorola lunch box radios ...

I wonder how many of us still exist? I started in 1975 also and spent 15 years as a firefighter/paramedic. Until I was knocked down some stairs by a crazy patient and was disabled.

Remember Norman McSwain?? He was our orginal Director and instructor. I see him on TV once in a while, late at night on DHC. He may have aged, but seems the same old Storming.

BTW, I think medics of our age are considered Fossils.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Oh my god I'm Vintage, I started working EMS when the Lifepack 5 was brand new. Can I just post a pic of myself???
    Better Vintage than a old Kansas Paramedic who is Fossil. I guess the next step is DUST.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

New Hi Tec Lifepak 5 (still a vintage piece of equipment)

When the industry was able to make heart pacemakers applied externally, Physio Control lead the way with providing monitor/defibrillators available with external pacing capabilities in their venerable Lifepak 10. No longer able to split the unit in half like the Lifepak 5, (what a retarded idea that was... especially after carrying a 47 lb Lifepak 4 for a decade) the Lifepak 10 uses the same sucky batteries as the Lifepak 5. However they added a 3 bay battery bank and a dial switch to change between batteries. They are still "hot swap-able" and usually charged in an separate charger unit. (Those old Lifepak 4's you just plugged the sucker into the wall to charge!)

Lifepak 10 Note the three (empty) battery bays above the paddles.

Lifepak 10 with padded nylon case to carry supplies.

Started my career humping LP5's, ended it with the 10. They were just getting some new unit that could do 12-Lead, but I retired at that point, never used it. Apcors were the radio when I was a student. Out in the Jersey Pine Barrens, the magnetic antenna was doing all it could to listen to the base, until you rolled over a hill, and the volume about blew your eardrums out. Good times.

Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Senior Moderator
    Between the LP 10 (an excellent piece of kit) and the LP 12 (an even more excellent piece of kit) was the LP 11:

It was a not so excellent piece of kit. I generally referred to it as a piece of something else.

Like the LP 5, it could be split into separate monitor and defib components. It was Physio's first 12 lead EMS monitor.

Unfortunately, the display was crap, and it was highly susceptible to electrical noise.

I was happy to see those go away in favor of the new LP 12s.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Cigars were inserted rectally back in the days before ether when doing abdominal surgery or setting bones.... It acts like a muscle relaxant.

Chapter 8 Botanical and Herbal Medicine- Page 77
    Survival and Austere Medicine

Tobacco Medical Uses
    The active ingredient of tobacco is nicotine. Nicotine has a number of important pharmacological effects.
    Firstly it is a muscle relaxant. This is from its direct effect on nicotinic receptors in the peripheral nervous system. It binds to the nicotinic receptors at the junction between the nerve and muscle and causes muscle relaxation. This is particularly
    useful in assisting the reduction of fractures and dislocations. If treatment has been delayed muscle spasms associated with the injury may interfere with reduction.
    The spasm will both directly oppose efforts to adjust the position of the bone and contribute to the pain felt by the patient. In general, the administration of an analgesic and a muscle relaxant are indicated. Allowing a smoker to have a cigarette may help. In severe cases the use of a general anaesthetic is usually required.
    In the absence of other alternatives the following procedure may induce sufficient relaxation of the muscles to allow a successful reduction:
    A cigar is inserted into the rectum via the anus leaving at least a third of its length outside. If a cigar is not available, the tobacco is removed from 5-10 cigarettes and placed into a cloth bag, which is then inserted into the rectum so that an end which can be easily grasped remains outside. Sterile water is used as a lubricant, and, if a bag is used, the contents should also be thoroughly moistened prior to being inserted. After 5-15 minutes, the muscles should relax sufficiently to allow a successful reduction. The insert should, in any event, be removed after no more than 30 minutes Note that nicotine is toxic. At the first indication that the patient is experiencing any difficulty, the insert should be removed by gently pulling on the exposed portion. Safety in using this technique relies on the relatively slow rate of transfer of nicotine from the tobacco
    leaves to the patient coupled with the ability to immediately halt absorption by removing the insert. It is therefore strongly suggested that no attempt be made to use an infusion prepared by "dissolving out" nicotine from tobacco. {This was a standard procedure during the civil war. In the blockaded South, with no opiates or diethyl ether, general anaesthetic meant drinking whisky until the patent passed out. 230gr}

Thank the Lord for modern medicine...

bosco
    Here have a cigar,whered you get cigars?I found them at the hospital,they do have a strange after taste,but they are free
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's a picture of the Lifepak 12. You can get all sorts of bells and whistles on them like automatic blood pressure monitor, Pulse Oximetry, Capnometry, Biphasic Defibrillator and other gizmo's.

The one we presently use is pretty much plain Jane. Monophasic Defibrillator, 12 Lead ECG, Manual and AED mode of defibrillator and external pacing. It has definitely seen better days! Still working, but we need a new set up soon!

Lifepak 12

One of our helicoper services in the area is using the Philips Monitor as posted by LRFireEMS in Post #14. I've been really intrigued by it and wanting to try one out.

But then I saw the New Lifepak 15 which just hit the market in the last couple of months. A much more ruggedized unit, you can get this baby loaded with everything you can imagine. Lithium Ion battery technology, SunVue display screen for bright sunlight, and patented Masimo Rainbow SET technology that monitors SpO2, Carbon Monoxide and Methemoglobin levels. Biphasic defibrillator and a host of other features. Of course, 12 lead ECG and biphasic external pacing. Also a built in metronome to help keep track of CPR compressions and ventilations. Fully upgradable via software programing.

I'm anxious to have our sales rep come demo it for us! Price? Who knows, but a loaded unit with most the features? Probably close to $30,000.

Lifepak 15

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

OOOOO! It's tactical Black!

We currently use LP12s and will soon, within the next month or so, be getting a couple LP15's. Do we need them?....

We chose to have the core body temperature probe included on ours. I guarantee this will never get used. I'm pretty sure we wolnt be fighting over it like the nozzle.

I've had the chance to play with the phillips, and I love them! Live 12 lead is wonderful. On another note, We had the rep stop by once. He told us that the LP12's are waterproof, for about 10 seconds. Anyone care to try?

I love it when our pain in the arse sp02 probes give us a hard time and someone makes a comment about how we paid $20,000 for a machine and cant get the damn thing to work.

And thats the end of my rambling thoughts.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

I think the Masimo Rainbow SET technology that monitors SpO2, Carbon Monoxide and Methemoglobin levels. would be beneficial for fire service units to get decent CO & Methemoglobin readings for smoke inhalation patients.

I think that technology will be a boon in the pre-hospital setting in the future.

There is another brand unit also using the Masimo Rainbow SET technology in their monitor/defib. I just can't remember if it's Zoll or Philips.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think the Masimo Rainbow SET technology that monitors SpO2, Carbon Monoxide and Methemoglobin levels. would be beneficial for fire service units to get decent CO & Methemoglobin readings for smoke inhalation patients.

I think that technology will be a boon in the pre-hospital setting in the future.
    My department has a couple of the rainbow sets. Not on every first out unit though. Only on the DC truck. Only department in the area that has them.

Masimo Rainbow SET - Rad-57

Look, they come in different colors too. like ipods.

Wheres the tacticool black?

Would definately come in handy in situations like this one just yesterday. Authorities identify woman they say left SUV running in garage, sickening three - St. Petersburg Times
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links