By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics)

This is a discussion on By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, I started this thread so as not to continue to hi-jack Mercop's excellent thread on Gun Shot Blow Out Kits which you can see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics)

By Request: Vintage EMS Equipment (Add your own pics)

Ok, I started this thread so as not to continue to hi-jack Mercop's excellent thread on Gun Shot Blow Out Kits which you can see in the link.

So, someone asked about the old "Datascope defibrillator" in particular as well as "thumpers" and stuff like that. So here are some pics I have of equipment I used in the early days when dinosaurs walked the earth.

Feel free to add your own photo's, ask questions, leave comments or whatever and we'll see where this thing goes.

Ok, here is an old Datascope defibrillator monitor as used by Johnny and Roy on TV's Emergency. Yes, we had a few of these when I started in the business and I have used them. I didn't like them because they just didn't seem as durable as the old Physio Control ubiquitous Lifepak 4.

Next is the ubiquitous, venerable and infamous Lifepak 4! It weighed a TON. About 47 lbs you had to lug up 3, 4, 5, 6 flights of stairs... and of course back down again. Hell you had to lug it wherever you went if the call was for a "chest pain" or "short of breath" call. But it was a tank, reliable and you could run calls all night and 3 code blues on less than 25% battery power.

Lifepak 4 in closed position sitting on stand being charged.

Lifepak 4 with lid open ready to rock n roll.

Lifepak 4 with carry handle removed and mounted as a stationary unit in the back of a Cadillac ambulance.

You can imagine how happy everyone was when Physio Control came out with the 10 lb. Lifepak 5! It was unique in that the two halves could be separated and carried separately. (After lugging around a 47 lb unit for all those years, who needed to separate this toy into two pieces?)

Battery life sucked in those early model LP-5's! But they were hot swapable and you could carry spares. If you weren't using the defibrillator portion, you just swapped it over to the EKG monitor side when that battery went dead! Nothing, and I mean nothing lasted like those old internally mounted lead acid batteries of the old Lifepak 4!

New Hi Tec Lifepak 5 (still a vintage piece of equipment)

When the industry was able to make heart pacemakers applied externally, Physio Control lead the way with providing monitor/defibrillators available with external pacing capabilities in their venerable Lifepak 10. No longer able to split the unit in half like the Lifepak 5, (what a retarded idea that was... especially after carrying a 47 lb Lifepak 4 for a decade) the Lifepak 10 uses the same sucky batteries as the Lifepak 5. However they added a 3 bay battery bank and a dial switch to change between batteries. They are still "hot swap-able" and usually charged in an separate charger unit. (Those old Lifepak 4's you just plugged the sucker into the wall to charge!)

Lifepak 10 Note the three (empty) battery bays above the paddles.

Lifepak 10 with padded nylon case to carry supplies.

Below is a vintage CPR "Thumper!" (I never used one. Had a bad experience with sales rep I mentioned in Mercop's thread on Gun Shot Blow Out Kits!)

To be continued in next post...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Continued from above post.

The old Orange Biocom Radio as used by Johnny and Roy in Emergency TV show. Yes, I used these too! There are actually two orange ones. This one is manufactured by Motorola. The real Biophone was manufactured by a company called Biocom. I can not find a picture of the old Biocom, but you can see it in old Emergency re-runs. And we had those too. We had more of the Biocom's then we did the Motorola version.

Motorola Biophone

Much more reliable, and lighter in weight and better all around radio, was the Motorola Apcor radio. We really liked these much better than the orange pieces of crap. Btw... we never sent EKG strips via telemetry to the hospital in Kansas City. Lot's of people did in other areas and other States as that is what they were designed to do in the first place. However, we only used them for voice transmission to give hospital reports and occasionally ask for orders if we wanted to do something outside of protocols.)

Motorola Apcor

Below is one of my first vintage Partners to go with the vintage Cadillac Ambulance I worked in!

Ok, I have no idea who the gal is in that picture... I just couldn't resist!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ooooh... maybe it wasn't a Datascope I saw. Which one looked like a radar screen, big pie plate green glass with one huge QRS?

FWIW I use a LP12 now and I wish I could trade it in for a 10. Simplicity has it's merits!

Oh and I never used those radiophones but we did have special telemetry handie talkies.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Bark'n,

We do know that the thumper works great for breaking ice off the front bumper of ambulances!!! A great man and one of our former co workers would use the thumper during the winter time to remove ice from the ambulance bumper as well as the large ice ciciles that hang from the vehicle.

Speaking of the LP10, When our local sherriff's dept got tasers they found it entertaining to remove the cartrage and walk up behind one of us and arc the taser to watch us jump and get a laugh. One day one of the deputy's thought he would do that with one of our medic's, when the deputy started to chase the medic through the station the medic ran over to the LP 10 and pulled the paddles out and charged them, needless to say the deputy put away the taser and decided it was no longer fun to try and scare us with it.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Great thread!! This is bringing back a lot of old memories. In years past, we really didn’t train on new equipment. It was here, try this for a while. BAD BAD idea!! Enter the thumper…. Elderly man in full arrest on hardwood floor. The medics set it up….nothing…….they adjusted it to have a deeper compression……..nothing……..they adjust it to go faster…….nothing…..this continues until it is set to go as deep and as fast as it can go…Then one of them says……. “What does this knob do?” Yep..they turn it on…..it starts vibrating grandpa across the hardwood floor. For some reason the thumper never caught on around here.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Administrator
    Gee this is a super exciting thread for a non-Paramedic.

Kinda like a City Slicker being taking on a tour through an antique farm equipment museum.

This PIC made it a bit better though.

Stone age equipment from when my Grandfather was on the NYFD.

bosco
    Attached Images

Sorry about the BMP.. Heres a jpeg...

bosco
    Attached Images

A few years ago there was a rookie EMT riding in the back of a Medic that thought it would be funny to charge the paddles and 'shock' his preceptor, who was riding in the front seat. She repeatedly told him to NOT play with the defibrillator. He is currently serving time for manslaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A few years ago there was a rookie EMT riding in the back of a Medic that thought it would be funny to charge the paddles and 'shock' his preceptor, who was riding in the front seat. She repeatedly told him to NOT play with the defibrillator. He is currently serving time for manslaughter.
    How did he even get his certification?!

Thanks for the pictures Bark'n I always enjoy looking at where we've come from.

Mind if I ask, what monitor is your department using now?

Me? We have LP12s on the Medics and a Zoll on the Zone Car.

The manslaughter incident happened somewhere in VA but not here.

LP 12. We have an old LP 10 still for back up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

We use M and E series Zolls on our ALS trucks and Zoll AEDs on the BLS. Ambulances use Lifepack 12s. We had an old Biophone in our logistics office, but I haven't seen it since they remodeled.

About a year ago we switched to these new Philips monitors

I'm starting to have my doubts about them though, just doesn't seem to preform as well as the LP12's (this is for ALS of course)

From what I've heard where taking delivery of several new Philips FRx AEDs for our BLS non-emergency fleet

My Fire Dept is using the Medtronic Lifepac 500

Oh for the good old days!
    Started running under the siren in 19 and 75 and stayed there for 21 years ...
    I recall those old Boat Anchor Amb Paks! One fell out the back of an ambulance at 55 mph, it got skinned up a little but it kept working!
    Then there's the old Motorola lunch box radios ...
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links