Another hobby, and this one can be real sad

This is a discussion on Another hobby, and this one can be real sad within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have gotten involved with a group here in Tennessee (there are amny like it across the country) who volunteer to go hunting for lost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another hobby, and this one can be real sad

I have gotten involved with a group here in Tennessee (there are amny like it across the country) who volunteer to go hunting for lost and forgotten cemeteries and photograph the headstones and document who is buried in them. We upload the photos and the names to several websites, mainly Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and for the Tennessee folks out there Tennessee Roots Index. People use the info and photos in genealogy searches and such.

I have been out several times this summer with a friend from work who got me interested in this and we actually found a cemetery that the group had been looking for for a few years now. It is a great deal of fun.

But, it can also be pretty sad as well. The sad part comes in when you find that a cemetery isn't being well maintained. Grave stones knocked over by vandals or careless people mowing the grass. I have found stones broken and recently, I found a WWII veteran's grave stone, still standing but it was in the woods. The cemetery has been so neglected for so long, the woods have actually been allowed to encroach into the grave areas and swallowed up his grave and those of several others.

This really angered me. Here was a veteran of World War II, a man who helped save the world from Fascists and he is now forgotten and completely neglected. I went back there the next day and I cut the weeds and vines away from his grave. I spent 3 hours clearing the area around it and making it presentable again. I felt I had to, being a veteran myself I felt I owned it to him. I feel bad that he either has no family or they simply don't care enough to take care of his grave.

This isn't the first one like this I have found. And each one I have spent my own time cleaning and clearing their grave site.

All this has made me realize, I do not want to be buried. I do not want to be forgotten about and become a grave neglected or forgotten. I have a family that loves me, I know they would take care of my grave but, one or two generations later, no one will know me, and I wouldn't expect them to. I just want to be cremated and my ashes spread someplace I will choose later. Or at sea as I am a Navy Veteran.

I included a couple of pics of the grave stone I am talking about. They were taken the day I found the grave. I didn't take the camera the next day, just tools to cut the vegetation and clean the grave marker. The first picture is of the grave as I found it, disgraceful.
    Attached Images
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Very interesting. Not something I have heard of before.

If I didn't live so far away, I would check on the graves of my grandparents this weekend.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    This can be one of the many small ways to connect with the next generation. We are lucky enough to be in the area many of my ancestors settled in the 1800s. One activity I have been able to share with my now adult sons is cemetery care. I don't think they particularly like it, but they do it to humor the old man. Three weekends ago, my younger son and I went out to a cemetery and came back with a good dose of poison ivy or something. While working, we talk about the people in the cemetery and what their life was like. If you only go back to the great great grandparents you have 60 direct ancestors not to mention all the aunts, uncles and cousins that are generally buried nearby. There are hundreds of stories. Hopefully, in the future, the boys will be out there with their offspring passing on the stories and telling them about the time they got into the poison ivy with grandpa.

Funny this topic came up today. Yesterday, I bought some bulbs and this morning I am heading out to a rural cemetery to set them out. My great great grandmother was born at sea in 1845 emigrating from Germany. She married when she was 15 and had 9 children. I think she liked flowers and a lot of these I am going to set out were around in her day. Another sad thing about these old cemeteries is the number of children that died young. Life was hard in the 1800's on the frontier.

Thanks TN MIKE for your work. There are thousands of people that research our ancestors on line using the fruits of your efforts. We have ancestors that passed through Tennessee and I may be one of those that benefit from your efforts. I always take a moment to touch up a veterans grave when out in the cemeteries. I have 90 bulbs to set out today, and some will go to graves of vets that are also buried in the hard scrabble Ozark soils that challenged my ancestors.

Maybe he doesn't have any family left. Did you clean the other graves? Why is it that a veterans grave left like this is so disgraceful but the other graves are not? I just don't understand your thinking. You don't even know what kind of person he was, maybe he was a rotten guy that did bad things and everyone is glad he died or maybe he was the greatest guy around but no one is left that cares. I guess just because he is a veteran doesn't mean that his grave is anymore or less important than the others.

Good on ya for taking your time to find these old grave sites. Has to be cool to find them.

Thanks for the link. I just signed my wife and myself up. We usually walk through interesting cemetaries when we find them.

I hope we can find a particular one in Bar Harbor, ME that we found one time when we were lost. We are going again next month. I am sure nobody remembers the cemetary. It was just just three gravestones by the side of a dirt road.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Maybe he doesn't have any family left. Did you clean the other graves? Why is it that a veterans grave left like this is so disgraceful but the other graves are not? I just don't understand your thinking. You don't even know what kind of person he was, maybe he was a rotten guy that did bad things and everyone is glad he died or maybe he was the greatest guy around but no one is left that cares. I guess just because he is a veteran doesn't mean that his grave is anymore or less important than the others.

Good on ya for taking your time to find these old grave sites. Has to be cool to find them.
    Because there is a common bond. This man has done something that is verifiable that allows you to type what you just did 60 years later.

Maybe he was a bad guy. We don't know. But we do know something about him. Dont we?
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's not a man's tomb that causes him to be remembered. It's the effect he had on other people's lives did before he was put there. There's (IMHO) no disgrace in my grave being neglected. I would much prefer the thought of my great-grandchildren being out enjoying their own adventurous lives than to spend any time worrying about any briars & brambles growing over the bag-of-bones that once was...me. They can compost me into the tomato patch as far as I'm concerned. "Everybody dies, but not everybody LIVES!"
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm sure he appreciates your effort, I know I would.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

We have a old family cemetery on the back of our property. It was the family cemetery of the original settlers in that community. We reserve two weekends a year for us and our paid deer hunters to clean and repair as necessary. The ground is so rocky that a few graves were built above the rock line. Those are in constant need of repair. It is an event we all look forward to. We bring out the smokers, grills and ice chests and really make a fun day of it. The earliest grave dates to 1854, the last 1940 - a WW l vet. There are three Civil War vets buried there. A person isn't dead until he's forgotton. A neglected cemetery is really a sad sight.

I too encountered a civil war era grave marker on public hunting ground many moons ago while bow hunting. A single grave, obelisk style, about four feet tall, Union Army if memory serves.

It's not that the veterans grave being neglected is any more of a disgrace than a non vets, there were 3 other graves in the same wooded area that I cleaned as well. They were not vets. I didn't mean to imply that I only cleaned the vets grave. But I do, as SIXTO said, share a common bond with the veteran.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Because there is a common bond. This man has done something that is verifiable that allows you to type what you just did 60 years later.

Maybe he was a bad guy. We don't know. But we do know something about him. Dont we?

+1 Very appropriate response! Thanks!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

TnMike, I didn't see where you said you only cleaned the grave of a fallen brother. I quess that was just assumed. We have a very old cemetery on our hunting property. When my father in law found it he cleaned it up. A few years later some of the family came to clean and were amazed to find someone who cared as you have cared.
    In this cemetery we found a Revolutionary soldiers grave, a veteran of the war of 1812 and a Senator of Ga.. Please notice this gentleman's name... Senator George Herbert Walker, yep ancestor to two of our previous Presidents. The Senator was also in Took's cavalry during the war of 1812. We are honored to be the caretakers of such an illustrious group. Santa01

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Mike, you're doing a good thing here, dispite some people trying to muddy the water!
    [One Nation Under God]

Good for man. I got a lump in my throat reading your story.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links