Have I lost it? Funny range trip.

This is a discussion on Have I lost it? Funny range trip. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I was at the range this past Sunday trying out my BHP which just came home from an absurdly long stay at a pistol ...

Thread: Have I lost it? Funny range trip.

Have I lost it? Funny range trip.

So I was at the range this past Sunday trying out my BHP which just came home from an absurdly long stay at a pistol smith. I had put about 100 rounds through it and everything was going fine. I do not claim to be some kind of magical shot, but I practice enough that I do not usually embarrass myself.

Anyway, I was doing Mozambique drills when my head shot struck just at the edge of the target's head. Slightly frustrated I paused, took a deep breath, and tried again. This time my head shot missed entirely by a few inches. Now bordering on irritated I gave it another try and managed to spray the target worse than I did on my first day at the range. The three shots are almost off the paper! (And mind you, this was a large human shaped target.) Staring in total disbelief I clicked the safety on, put down my pistol, and wondered what on earth was going on. Did my brain forget how to focus through my dominant eye? Am I having a stroke? Maybe I just stink!

Then it dawned on me that the other range member must be asking themselves if they want to be so close while some idiot who can hardly keep his shots on the paper is blasting away like a fool.

Irritated, embarrassed, and confused I looked down at my BHP as I contemplated what my next move should be. And there it was! The front sight had worked its way loose and wiggled over to the edge of the slide! (Yes, I know the smith stinks. I figured that out once he was three years late and still didn't complete the build the way I had asked for it.)
    The good thing about this was it gave me a chance to practice my point shooting (which I had some training in a while ago) without the distraction of a front sight.

Anyway, I got a good laugh out of the situation and thought that some of you might also.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Everybody has bad days at the range, I know I do! However, that would frustrate the heck out of me.

You have learned the lesson I did awhile back. Similar situation. Shots were all over the place and I was getting a little nervous about being on the same range with myself(lol!). Sure enough, my rear sight had shifted.

Glad you worked it out. And you got to practice point-shooting. That's always good.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

JD
    Administrator
    I had that happen to me too, don't feel bad. Apparently there's not much material for a good dovetail of for the front sight on a Hi Power. A good staked front sight or a bit of Loctite seem to be a necessity.
    Last edited by JD; September 15th, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

VIP Member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I had that happen to me too, don't feel bad. Apparently there's not much material for a good dovetail of for the front sight. A good staked front sight or a bit of Loctite seem to be a necessity.
    Never had one wiggle to the edge of the slide, but have had one walk well out of true.

It was newly installed, also.

New gunsmith time!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I just ordered some XS big dots for my 1911,the installation video shows him using red loctite after in stalling the front sight and after using a q-tip to remove excess allowing at least 2 hr drying time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    My first lesson in LocTite occurred at an IDPA match. I was the first shooter on the first stage of the day, and the very first target to be engaged was a headshot with a 'non-threat' target off to the side. Distance to the target was...maybe five yards, probably less.

The buzzer went off, I smoothly sliced my vest away from the holster, drew, presented, and in under 1.5 seconds had put a tight group of two center-head shots...on the non-threat.

I stopped and stared dumbfounded at the targets, then at the gun, noting that the rear XS sight on my beloved P220 was jiggling listlessly at the extreme left side of the dovetail. Bloody set screws...

The next week, thanks to some blue LocTite and my SIG sight pusher, the P220 and I had a much better outing!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    My first lesson in LocTite occurred at an IDPA match. I was the first shooter on the first stage of the day, and the very first target to be engaged was a headshot with a 'non-threat' target off to the side. Distance to the target was...maybe five yards, probably less.

The buzzer went off, I smoothly sliced my vest away from the holster, drew, presented, and in under 1.5 seconds had put a tight group of two center-head shots...on the non-threat.

I stopped and stared dumbfounded at the targets, then at the gun, noting that the rear XS sight on my beloved P220 was jiggling listlessly at the extreme left side of the dovetail. Bloody set screws...

The next week, thanks to some blue LocTite and my SIG sight pusher, the P220 and I had a much better outing!

Sometimes life just likes to test your sense of humor.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links