A Good Reason To Carry Something/ANYTHING.

A Good Reason To Carry Something/ANYTHING.

This is a discussion on A Good Reason To Carry Something/ANYTHING. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Story Taken From The Web. I was victimized by a bum tonight. Earlier tonight, as I was leaving a convenience store, a bum approached me ...

Thread: A Good Reason To Carry Something/ANYTHING.

Administrator

Talking A Good Reason To Carry Something/ANYTHING.

Story Taken From The Web.

I was victimized by a bum tonight.
    Earlier tonight, as I was leaving a convenience store, a bum approached me from around the corner of a building.
    He began by asking for $10, to which I replied no and turned the other way. Following that, he raised his voice and asked me for enough to buy some smokes. I ignored him completely, and began walking away. He began following me, and shouted "You're GOING to buy me a pack" (he emphasized the word going strongly).

I don't have by CHL yet, and had no other defensive item on me. All I could do was pull my cellphone, speed dial 911, and put the conversation on speakerphone while backing away. This sent the bum fleeing, as soon as the 911 operator picked up.

In retrospect, it was my mistake not to carry some pepper spray until I get my CHL. Had the bum chosen to attack and rob me, the most I would have had to defend myself with was a pen. The bum was large and well built, and could have been carrying a weapon.

I hate lowlife panhandlers like this. Anyone capable of strong~arming other citizens for something as unnecessary as cigarettes is more than capable of getting a job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    QKShooter Comment:
    Geesh! 10 BUCKS! ~ What ever happened to "Can I Bum A Quarter Off Of You?"
    Cost Of Living Increase?

los
    A big +1!! Thanks for the story!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

My theoretical response would be to draw to a low ready position and issue a loud verbal warning while backing out of there ASAP, and wait until I reach my vehicle before calling 911. I do have a CCW, and I don't leave the bedroom unarmed, so the situation would be different. Theory is fine, but until I'm in that situation, I can't be sure what I would do.

What you did worked, your safe, and your not in jail, so it's hard to argue with your response. It could have gone differently. If he had knocked that cell phone out of your hand, he could have taken what he wanted and been gone long before the police arrived. If he was close enough to hear the cell's speakerphone, he was too darn close!

In your situation, unarmed, I would probably have applied the nike defensive strategy!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Sounds like you did it right, given the circumstances. Remember, though, even a pen will make a nice hole in someone's throat or eye! Sorry, I'm an EMT and have seen this after a domestic dispute. I'm a firm believer in defending yourself using all possible means. If he grabs you, let him have the pen!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

los
    Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    ...My theoretical response would be to draw to a low ready position...
    Not sure I agree with that action. Verbal warning yes, but don't think probable cause to draw weapon was establised?? But this IS based on Theoretics....!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Assistant Administrator
    Unpleasant situation - armed or not.

If the approach was from round a corner then even con yellow will not give much time or distance so - a rapid retreat while challenging or replying would be in order. Distance, distance.

If cell has speed dial then that is one early option but another - if armed - is to place hand on piece but not brandish - just a readiness in case a weapon is presented. Then no backlash from showing but a state of fast readiness - plus the fairly and hoped for obvious ''hint''.

Unarmed - again distance and, as Chris mentioned, " nike defensive strategy!"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links