What computer brought you here?

This is a discussion on What computer brought you here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i'm on a new HP laptop. it's got Vista, but will have Windows 7 when it comes out....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What computer brought you here?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i'm on a new HP laptop. it's got Vista, but will have Windows 7 when it comes out.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    i'm on a new HP laptop. it's got Vista, but will have Windows 7 when it comes out.
    Mine has windows 7 right now.. i like it.. pretty fancy so far.

My wife and I each have our own (no fighting over computer time) iMac...4 gigs of RAM and 24" screens...love 'em.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Mac notebook. PC's are banned in our house. just kidding, but once we went to a Mac it was like a whole new world.
    +1

PCs have their uses but for the majority of computing needs, Mac all the way.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by larebel View Post
    Mine has windows 7 right now.. i like it.. pretty fancy so far.
    I am running Windows 7 on my work laptop, I like it but still don't like Microsoft telling me I can't browse my profile (until I take ownership of it that is).

I typically will post here from my work computer, running Firefox portable on a thumb drive, or my Wife's Dell Dimension E510 or sometimes I'll check things out on my Blackberry and iPhone back when I had one.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I am running Windows 7 on my work laptop, I like it but still don't like Microsoft telling me I can't browse my profile (until I take ownership of it that is).

I typically will post here from my work computer, running Firefox portable on a thumb drive, or my Wife's Dell Dimension E510 or sometimes I'll check things out on my Blackberry and iPhone back when I had one.
    Cant browse profile? what does that mean?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    15" MacBook Pro -- I'll never go back to windows or a pc again!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I need a new computer.....
    I just had my motherboard go out on my 4yr old dell ( that's 60 years in computer life)
    Who has the best deal on the market right now, and how many of you tricked out your computer..
    We need a who has the baddest computer on DC contest.
    I have a Systemax computer from TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics. It is a no O.S. system and I just loaded Ubuntu Linux on it. I love it. ESPECIALLY since it was only $300.00. It has a dual core AMD processor, 3 Gigs of RAM, total capacity of 4 and an onboard NVIDIA graphics chip.
    I can upgrade the processor to an AMD Phenom quad core and the video to a GEForce NVIDIA 9800 card and I'll basically have another new computer. The computer is still covered by warranty if I upgrade it, just not the actual things I add to it.

Sure there are a lot faster computers out there for RAM speed and FSB speed, but for what I use it for, it is quite fast. Also, since Ubuntu is a GREAT OS and since it is FREEEEE, the price is even better!

Here is the computer with a 2 year warranty added to it.
    Systemax NO OS AMD Desktop PC & Two Year Extended Warranty Bundle - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 3GB DDR2 800MHz, 250GB SATA II, 20X DVD-RW, Two-year Extended Warranty at TigerDirect.com
    Here it is by itself
    Systemax No O/S AMD Desktop PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 3GB DDR2 800MHz, 250GB SATA II, 20X DVD-RW at TigerDirect.com

Here is the mobo and what chips are compatible
    MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

NO, I don't work for this company, but I think that for the $$ it is an excellent buy, and you said you need a new computer.

Let me know if you get it, I'll show you a couple of safe but easy tweaks in the BIOS.

***EDIT***
    I installed Mac4Linux and now it looks like a MAC. Oh, FREE by the way.

Mac, it's Linux, only more expensive!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by larebel View Post
    Cant browse profile? what does that mean?
    Going in to Documents and Settings on my own, or directly to My Documents, etc. Vista and Win7 force you to use the "libraries" or their own shortcuts to keep people out of areas they can cause damage in. Problem is I am 1. a professional IT guy and 2. don't like being told I can't do something.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Personally I like Mac but I would go consumer reports website and check out some of the latest reviews. it will cost you like 5 bucks for the month but it's worth it. That's what I did last month when my wife's pc crashed last month.

RE: What computer brought you here

I built my own using a mix of new and second hand parts, loaded with Linux and Windows, as I'm slowly but surely abandoning Windows in favor of Linux. Any company that's promoting lies is bad in my book, so I refuse to give Microsoft anymore of my money.

My laptop pooped out about a week ago and I was forced
    top buy a new one.

I got a Toshiba Satellite series as I need the WiFi with all
    the hotel travelling.

My old laptop had Windows XP and now I have Vista.

I can't stand Vista Its slow and has too much
    crap on it.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    the baddest computer on the market is made by alian ware but it will put you back about 2-3 grand
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I build my own, and I run XP on them. I have 7 on my main machine though. I wont buy a mac, A) im not that rich, and B) i can do the same things on Windows with much less money and, sometimes, hassle.

There is this...
    TigerDirect.com
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links