What computer brought you here?

This is a discussion on What computer brought you here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lenovo S10 It's concealable....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What computer brought you here?

Lenovo S10
    It's concealable.
    ( o=)==:::

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    The processor is a QX9650 with 8g of PC8500 DDR2... Vid Card not pictured was a GTX 9800 Black Box Edition that I had laying around will be upgrading that to a couple of ATI cards in Crossfire config once I get funds.

And yes my cable management skills suck thats still on the list of things that need to be done.
    Man that's a great looking case Gunner and I bet it's real fast!

I found that it's easier when you can hide and reroute the cables and wires. Then trying to keep the exposed ones parallel helps with the clutter. I built a Acrylic computer and that was a nightmare trying to manage the wires because there was very few places to hide with the clear case.

This is the first computer I built from a first gen Alienware case with the Hydraulic door that covers the drives. I filled in the badge and sprayed it in Black PPG Deltron base/clear coat. Then I added a full window on the right side behind the mobo and sandwiched in a translite poster from a Williams pinball machine's scoreboard with two cathode's as a back light. Homemade fan buss, fans and LED's had wires everywhere!

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I used to build my desktops, but currently I'm still using a Dell XPS system bought from a friend that was in a tight spot for money. It was just a couple months old when he sold it to me at a huge discount. That was almost 4 years ago. It's still chugging along with the (smallish now) 20" samsung lcd. I'm running Windows 7 RC so it's very crisp and runs flawlessly. There is still an old pentium 4 system used in the house that I built about 5 or 6 years ago. I have a new HP laptop I bought earlier this year and I have an old HP laptop that I was running Ubuntu on until my mom was wanting to use it. I put XP back on it so it would be something she was familiar with. Now it's a choice of buying a computer or a gun. Gun has won the last 4 times.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Normally I use a 3 year old HP desk top. Not particularly powerful, but I needed one to replace my dying Dell, and it was a present from my wife. I started jonsing to be online, since I'm still in Richmond, handling my mother's estate. I tried to use Mom's web TV, but talk about a POS, most of the sites that I needed, such as home banking and my ISP's online email, the browser wasn't compatable. So I went out and bought a new Toshiba laptop for $679. Not high end, but not junk either. I had planned to use it on dial up with AOL, which I kep as a back up. But this thing doesn't want to do it, so I've been going into Barnes and Noble for their WiFi. Well, at least I can get online.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Without question, MAC.

I started on PCs, and by stroke of honest luck, my PC got trashed by a vandal. (Legitimate, knew the culprit, so did LEO but couldn't prove it. He still went to jail for another act that same weekend.) Anyway, insurance financed my Mac transition.

I work on too many PCs during the week. All that does is reinforce my choice of using a MAC to actually get work done. You do get what you pay for, and the Apple operating system is worth the premium.

In my house, there is a Mac Pro (tower, 12GB RAM, multiple TB drives, etc.), a 24" iMac, a couple of MacBook Pros, and an old relic G5 tower that we use for a file server. Two of the Intel-processor Macs have Parallels for running Win XP for client work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Without question, MAC.

I started on PCs, and by stroke of honest luck, my PC got trashed by a vandal. (Legitimate, knew the culprit, so did LEO but couldn't prove it. He still went to jail for another act that same weekend.) Anyway, insurance financed my Mac transition.

I work on too many PCs during the week. All that does is reinforce my choice of using a MAC to actually get work done. You do get what you pay for, and the Apple operating system is worth the premium.

In my house, there is a Mac Pro (tower, 12GB RAM, multiple TB drives, etc.), a 24" iMac, a couple of MacBook Pros, and an old relic G5 tower that we use for a file server. Two of the Intel-processor Macs have Parallels for running Win XP for client work.
    Have you ever tried any distros of Linux? I am curious, not bashing Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    Yeah, they are good places to get parts from. NewEgg is usually cheaper on single parts, but I think TigerDirect has better BareBones kits. I think that barebones are a good way to go as you can get a lot of computer for a big savings. Also, you can upgrade components before they send it to you, so you have a lot of control over it.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links