What computer brought you here?

This is a discussion on What computer brought you here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need a new computer..... I just had my motherboard go out on my 4yr old dell ( that's 60 years in computer life) Who ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I need a new computer.....
    I just had my motherboard go out on my 4yr old dell ( that's 60 years in computer life)
    Who has the best deal on the market right now, and how many of you tricked out your computer..
    We need a who has the baddest computer on DC contest.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Don't know about everybody else, but I got tired of all the windows crap, especially in their POS operating system Vista, so I went back to my Linux roots and bought one of the HP minis loaded with Linux about 4 months ago.

Since then, no Antivirus updates, no paying for software, no freeze ups, no lock ups no restarts, and no having to blow everything away and reformat every 3 to 6 months because of the instabilty and poor design of windows XP and Vista.......

Just my .02c
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    We need a who has the baddest computer on DC contest.
    I don't have the baddest, but I may have the worstest.

My sound doesn't work, my ports don't work, my OS is so screwed I can't run antivirus or reload windows, nor can I run cleanup. It's an ME upgraded to XP a couple years ago, and it's now dying a slow, painful death... but if I buy another computer, that's one less gun I can buy.

Soon my hand will be forced, but until then... IT'S TIME TO GO GUN SHOPPING!!

Right now i'm on a old Dell laptop that my daughter gave up on. It's had a new hard drive, lots more RAM, and runs XP. I have a couple others in the house that I've pieced together out of other "broke ones". My wife and daughter are where computers go to die, I rebuild the leftovers for mine.
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

VIP Member
    Compare prices for retail store sales at SalesCircular

Choose the state that you reside. Click on the products that you would like prices and details. Ads change on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye111 View Post
    Compare prices for retail store sales at SalesCircular

Choose the state that you reside. Click on the products that you would like prices and details. Ads change on Sunday.
    Thanks for the link..
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Right now I'm using a HP Touchsmart with a 26in screen.
    During the day I'm on a nice Toshiba laptop.
    Just rembmer...for Vista get at LEAST 4 gigs of RAM, this far into it, you should be able to get a Windows 7 upgrade coupon buying a new PC.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Mac notebook. PC's are banned in our house. just kidding, but once we went to a Mac it was like a whole new world.

I'm limping along on a 2006 Toshiba Satellite laptop A55 with the screen out of the shell, 1.5G ram 60G hard drive, an external monitor, and external keyboard, on one of those cooling fan tables, USB four point hub, a Linksys wireless router that jams my Microsoft wireless mouse signal, and have to keep it around 68° in the apartment all the time or she'll overheat on me and shut down. The A/C runs most of the time right now. Me and the cats love it, but my wife wears her shawl most of the time.

jon
    13" Macbook.
    No viruses, handles multi-tasking very well ( iTunes, dc browsing, note-taking, video-watching), and 160gb hdd.
    Got it for school (lots of notes, I rather type them).
    I will never go back to a PC.

Usually I just build my own.

The one I'm running now is a Biostar IDEQ SFF (small form factor)
    It was a barebones computer just had to add CPU, RAM, Video card and a Plextor DVD burner. I cut both side panels out and added the plexi windows just for looks. It's a few years old but heck I'm not a gamer so I don't need the cutting edge speeds.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I wouldn't buy a peecee at gunpoint... too much love for the simplicity, security, reliability, and ease of use you get with a Mac. And if I need a program that is Windoze only, I have Virtual PC on one of my Macs running Win2K... works like a charm.

I do have a Gateway that someone gave me years ago when she bought a new one... I use it as a print server, and it sits in the corner being mocked by my Macs all day...
    Last edited by PointnClick; September 19th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Gateway® P-7807u FX Edition
    Intel Core2 Duo Processor1 P8600 (2.4GHz,360 gig harddrive.)
    I love this thing.. Gateway laptops come soo much better than dells for the price.

Thinkpad
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Mac notebook. PC's are banned in our house. just kidding, but once we went to a Mac it was like a whole new world.
    +1 on the Macbook. I still use an IBM for work, but I love the Mac.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links